Neutron stars

eoinmac

i think you are confusing heat and temperature. the big one will lose heat faster than the smaller star but due to its large heat capacity, its temperature will decrease more slowly.

My point exactly, all things being equal a large object will cool slower than a small object...

and my points for the scenario were

1/ not all things are equal a neutron star isn't te same as a ball of gas.

I never said it was the same as a ball of gas... I agree all things are not equal between a neutron star and a planet but a neutron star does follow the cube square law none the less...

2/ large objects radiate more heat at the same temperature

Large objects cool slower than small ones, that cannot be denied, a small object has more surface are per unit of volume than a large object does....

I wonder what a neutron star would look like up close? Suppose you could orbit an average neutron star at a safe distance. It would be bright but only 12 km (or less than 8 miles) in diameter. Would it look as blazing bright as the sun? It should look like a cue ball, perfectly smooth.

How close can you safely get to a neutron star?

However, the huge number of neutrinos it emits carries away so much energy that the temperature falls within a few years to around 1 million kelvin.

Moontanman, your own reference material makes an important point. It is the emission of neutrinos that is responsible for the majority of the cooling of the star. Radiative cooling is comparatively unimportant, for the reasons of surface area that myself and Insane Alien have been promoting all along.

I understand the emission of neutrinos is the main way energy is dissipated but my point keeps being ignored. I see the bogus idea that a large object cools faster than a small object being repeated over and over on this forum, from shrews and elephants to neutron stars. The truth is that a small object will always cool faster than a large object of similar density. A small object has more surface area per unit of volume than a large object, that is simply a fact, it applies to neutron stars and rocks, shrews and elephants, and humans. The cube square law is the basis for this... let me put it this way, if you had a ball of neutronium 1 meter across it would cool far faster than a sphere of neutronium 10 kilometers across....

for the last time, we are ONLY contesting that the cube square law cannot simply be applied to objects with similar physical properties.

we aren't talking about 2 balls of neutronium, we are talking about a dead stellar core and a neutron star.

these behave very different thermally.

the cube square law cannot simply be slapped on without any further consideration. and the further considerations lead to the neutron star cooling down more slowly.

so you get it now? or do we have to go through it all again?

for the last time, we are ONLY contesting that the cube square law cannot simply be applied to objects with similar physical properties.

we aren't talking about 2 balls of neutronium, we are talking about a dead stellar core and a neutron star.

these behave very different thermally.

the cube square law cannot simply be slapped on without any further consideration. and the further considerations lead to the neutron star cooling down more slowly.

so you get it now? or do we have to go through it all again?

So far I have not even mentioned a stellar core, you brought it up totally out of context, you were they only person who said anything about a dead stellar core compared to a neutron start and the two cannot be compared to each other... My contention is a small object will always cool faster than a large object all things being equal. Let it be if you want but it won't change reality...