X-Rays

ydoaPs

NO! NO ALUMINUM! Aluminum, when hit with radiation, likes to shoot off neutrons (I think... I'll check in a minute) and neutron radiation is quite dangerous. You better get a Dosimeter and a charger off of eBay (preferably one with a low scale and one with a high scale) just to be safe. No, not a geiger counter, dosimeters will measure the amount of radiation you are exposed to over an extended period of time.

~10 keV X-rays aren't going to eject neutrons from Al. The energy required to eject a neutron from Al-27 is about 13 MeV. You are probably thinking of alpha scattering experiments.

edit: used "alpha" instead of the tex. It worked in preview mode, though...

• 5 weeks later...

If you want lead glass like you see in a xray room your looking down the barrel of a grand. If you plan on buying an old xray machine don't, they are usualy from tight dentists who run then into the ground and only buy new when they get caught with dangerous equipment. My company was asked to service equipment for a dentist that was untested and so old it was ilegal. Don't bother you'll hurt your self or someone else. The higher the kv the more penitrating the radiation. You will not know this with an untested old machine. I don't want to spoil your fun but :eek: