What we do and/or don't like about the Earth and/or the Universe and/or life

japan rocks/andromeda

I like the way fish don't notice the hook. I don't like the way deer wait for the headlights to make the first move.

I like being startled by thunder and the sound rain makes on the roof. I don't like my dog's reaction to either.

I like bees because they dance and make honey. I don't like people who insist that if the bees go extinct it'll just be a matter of hours before the ecosystem self-destructs in apocalyptic starvation collapsing the food chain, turning the oceans red with blood, vaporizing rain forests at the speed of sound, and leaving no chance of human survival. Also, there would be a terrible shortage of honey.

I like dolphins because they’re very intelligent and cute to boot, and they occasionally save people from sharks. But, I don’t like that they also occasionally try to rape people, because, you know, no means no.

Speaking of dolphins, I also really like killer whales (orca). They are majestic, intelligent, and have a whole lot of personality. I don’t like our human tendency to hold them in captivity in tiny pools and make them perform tricks for food. It's really quite rude.

Overall and in general, I like life on earth. I give it a B- graded on the intergalactic curve of class M planets (planet rankings are on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri). Unfortunately, a good deal of the less-than-fantastic aspects that I personally notice come from humanity. But, a good deal of the truly inspiring aspects do too.

interesting i think the same about almost everything but i dont have a dog

Also, if you want to say "hello" you can say that in the introduce yourself thread. No need to say that in 9 different threads. If people are not discussing the topics you brought up, it is not because they forgot about them -- you need to better know your audience, and post something interesting and thoughtful.
oh.

I like dolphins because they’re very intelligent and cute to boot

Any intelligent being that smiles all the time gives me the willies. I can't help but suspect they're up to something.