What is dark matter doing here

well for starters dark matter is the matter that takes the space where regular matter is not. Get what i am saying y'all.Dark matter is a theory and theories can be disproved what if there is no such thing as dark matter what if there can be space without matter or what if there is regular matter that we dont know is there thats all i am saying feel free to post your comments on dark matter here

Edited by Sayonara³
Tag removed.

Firstly I'd suggest you do some reading on what is meant by "theory" when talking about modern physics.

Secondly you have some misconceptions about dark matter. Dark matter is "stuff" we don't know what stuff, what we do know is that we observer areas of high mass (through gravitational lensing) where there is no electromagnetically interacting matter so not normal matter.

So, no it's not normal matter... But we don't know what it is.

The way I see it we have three choices here:

a) We accept that we understand gravity quite well and need to modify the matter content of our theories.

b) We understand the matter content quite well and need to modify our description of gravity.

c) A bit of both of the above.

At the moment one should think of dark matter as being synonymous with a lack of understanding.

Firstly I'd suggest you do some reading on what is meant by "theory" when talking about modern physics.

Secondly you have some misconceptions about dark matter. Dark matter is "stuff" we don't know what stuff, what we do know is that we observer areas of high mass (through gravitational lensing) where there is no electromagnetically interacting matter so not normal matter.

So, no it's not normal matter... But we don't know what it is.

Could you even call it "stuff?"

I saw a video with Neil DeGrasse Tyson talking about how "dark matter" is simply a placeholder term for whatever it is creating the gravitational pull on matter throughout the universe that we can't account for. Could it not be "stuff" at all, in terms of some kind of matter, but something completely different?

I've heard there is one hypothesis (Neil DeGrasse Tyson talked about this as well) that there are parallel dimensions and the matter in these dimensions could possibly account for that gravitational pull in our dimension. I found that interesting.

Could you even call it "stuff?"

I saw a video with Neil DeGrasse Tyson talking about how "dark matter" is simply a placeholder term for whatever it is creating the gravitational pull on matter throughout the universe that we can't account for. Could it not be "stuff" at all, in terms of some kind of matter, but something completely different?

I've heard there is one hypothesis (Neil DeGrasse Tyson talked about this as well) that there are parallel dimensions and the matter in these dimensions could possibly account for that gravitational pull in our dimension. I found that interesting.

By "stuff" I mean it could be anything, it has to be something, we can measure it, what it is we don't know, stuff is as good as antyhing.

There is a possibility that gravity 'leaks' into other curled up dimensions, as these are curled up my understanding is that a similar leaking the other way would not be feasible.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Do not believe me.

I think it is the left over from the fuel the atoms use to stay alive.:confused:

Atoms are not alive and don't require fuel.

Thank you for all and any answer. I am at this time not willing to retract, thought, I did use the wrong wording. Do not want to be accused of hijacking. It is way to soon but. :-)Will hesitantly pass on my simpleton view, that I feel is given to me by mostly this site and the links that I followed for some considerable time, reading and reading and reading again. Still, my hero is Uncle Albert. I am slow but will start a new post asap.

The way I see it we have three choices here:

a) We accept that we understand gravity quite well and need to modify the matter content of our theories.

b) We understand the matter content quite well and need to modify our description of gravity.

c) A bit of both of the above.

At the moment one should think of dark matter as being synonymous with a lack of understanding.

Applauding.

I think at the moment one understand something is wrong somewhere, there is hope to find the answer. When a name is given to this lack, hope diminishes.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is dedicated to resolving the dark matter issue. They are just starting to work on this on the LHC. Just yesterday they turned up the power to 3 times greater than ever. It will be years before they even turn it up full power. How long will it take before they report real results and discoveries? Will they discover the "God particle" Higgs Boson? It seems like it will take a long time before anything new is revealed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/30/lhc-news-large-hadron-col_n_518196.html