Pain

Glider

Just out of interest (a kind of unofficial survey), can anyone give me a definition of pain? I don't mean emotional distress, I mean 'physical' pain.

I'm interested in your opinions, not what the books say. What is pain? How would you define it?

Originally posted by fafalone

acute = severe

I don't want to be too picky, but as I am genuinely interested in your opinions concerning pain, lets clarify terms of reference:

Severe = severe (extreme or intense)

Acute = acute (rapid onset, short duration)

I am in a bar, and I see a nice looking woman. I move next to her and I stare at her. She turns and looks at me, and I just keep staring.

In such a situation, it's reasonable to suppose that the physical stimulus (my proximity and my staring at her) will cause her a degree of discomfort which (if she were asked), I'm sure she would describe as unacceptable.

Is she in pain?

I was referring to direct physical stimulus on parts of the nervous system not directly involved in cognition.

Psychological issues can also cause physical pain. Does this qualify as direct physical stimulus? (not rhetorical)

I am in a bar, and I see a nice looking woman. I move next to her and I put a cockroach down her shirt.

In such a situation, it's reasonable to suppose that the (direct) physical stimulus (the movements of the cockroach) will cause her a degree of discomfort which (if she were asked), I'm sure she would describe as unacceptable.

Is she in pain?

Originally posted by fafalone

That's indirect too. The only reason she finds it unacceptable is psychological; hence indirect.

Are you suggesting that a psychological stimulus is indirect when it comes to perception? (in this case, the perception of pain)

Do you not think, as perception is psychological, that a psychological basis is direct, and a physical reason is indirect?

After all, your fingers (for example) do not feel pain: your brain does.

Originally posted by Grimbeard

After all, your fingers (for example) do not feel pain: your brain does.

if I stick a pin in your finger, you withdraw... the signal goes through an entire 3 nerves before it hits your muscle and makes you pull your arm away. It's a reflex... you have started to move even before your brain catches up and says 'ow, what did you do that for'

real pain....

That's exactly what the reflex arc is; the neurons in your spinal cord interpret the signal and determine the response. Of course, if you start thinking about it you can obviously stop the reflex; but conscious thought isn't usually involved.

Originally posted by Radical Edward

if I stick a pin in your finger, you withdraw... the signal goes through an entire 3 nerves before it hits your muscle and makes you pull your arm away. It's a reflex... you have started to move even before your brain catches up and says 'ow, what did you do that for'

real pain....

A fair point - but as you imply yourself: the reflex is not pain.

Pain is what happens when your brain says "'ow, what did you do that for" and interprets the stimulus as pain.