Honor societies: worth it?

Cap'n Refsmmat

To the people who have graduate degrees/jobs/careers/etc.: Is joining a college honor society worth it?

I received an invitation to two freshman honors societies. The qualifications required to join are $70 and a 3.5 GPA. The societies do a few hours of community service each semester and give you a nice pin to put on your tie. (No mention of scholarships in the letter or their website.)

If I am writing a resume, does anyone care that I have an honor society listed, when it really means "I have a 3.5 GPA" and that's already on the resume?

(The general impression I get from the Internet is a solid "No.")

You probably already know the xkcd comic about the topic. I don't even know what a "honor society" is; that might say a bit about the awesome international reputation of such societies - or my ignorance.

they don't even exist here in the UK(there isn't one at my uni or any of the others in the city).

sounds like a club for overachievers to attend and pretend that they are actually leading worthwhile lives when the people who are actuall going to put the stuff to use are getting on with it.

they don't even exist here in the UK(there isn't one at my uni or any of the others in the city).

sounds like a club for overachievers to attend and pretend that they are actually leading worthwhile lives when the people who are actuall going to put the stuff to use are getting on with it.

Sounds like MENSA.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know of any honor societies except the National Honor Society from high school. I would (earnestly) focus on membership in professional organizations (IEEE, ASME, ACS, etc) that are known to, and respected by, industry. For small money, you can maintain these memberships throughout the years, and that does look good on résumés. However, around middle age, I suggest removing reference to years of membership due to age discrimination. Hiring someone with 12 years of professional affiliations is okay, but advertising 35 years of affiliation is might say you're over the hill and may deny you the chance to interview.

It's nice to hang around a group of smart people in person. It helps cut out the riff-raff. And you might find some people you'd want to hang out with more. Otherwise, I think honor societies are a waste of time.