Wormholes

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well at the moment... for humans... NO

but it does depend on YOUR exact definition of 'wormhole' as i have heard different deffinitions, all the same basics, but with different techinical details.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to CREATE a wormhole, even in theory in any way?

well it is possible to create a worm hole - as predicted by general theory of relativity.

But for that we require huge amount of energy that of an exploding star!

If you are thinking of wormholes like in Stargate, then no, you can't.

A wormhole is only any good for moving to a destination faster if there is fortuitously a shorter route to the destination by using an extra dimension. In other words they are only any use when the topology of space-time is such that two 'distant' points in the universe are actually almost touching in another dimension. For example, if we lived on the surface of a sheet of paper, we could get to a the point exactly on the opposite side by either going the long way round (converntional travel) or by punching a hole throught the paper and travelling through the extra dimension (a wormhole).

Unless we can fold space at will, the possible positions for useful wormholes are fixed. Even if we could fold space at will, we couldn't fold it faster than the speed of light, so the first folding would take quite a while.

So the physics of Stargate doesn't hold water.

I don't recall ever reading or hearing anything about the physical workings of the Stargate. How do you know it doesn't do exactly what you said is required?

Goa'uld and Asgard ships use hyperspace to move between distant systems; I see no reason why a more dimensionally extreme version of that space can't be the "short cut region" through which the gate wormholes carry matter.

There is an older BBC news article here that says a bit about wormholes. And I have heard more about this, and that a Russian scientist has figured out how to create a wormhole in theory, of course we do not have the technology to actually create one.

You can theoretically creat wormholes, that is if you have the ability to manipulte space it these extra dimensions...no small feat.

The main problem however is their lack of stability, unless you fed some kind of false vacuum into the hole, when someone entered it the presence of matter would cause it to collapse.

There is a theory that the quantum worm holes around us could be made wide enough to travel through. Using ghost radiation as a negative energy input to first open up the hole and then adding more as the matter is introduced to compensate. It has been theorised that if this balancing act went wrong an over expanded worm hole would produce a new universe and if one were allowed to snap shut it would collapse into a black hole.

If there are white holes in 'another' universe there would have to be ones in ours(conservation of matter/energy/information).

Some people theorise that quasars are white holes although it is merely conjecture.

As for creating universes out of 'over-expanded' quantum wormholes, where would the energy and matter to create the 'new' universe come from? If the answer is our universe, then it is not so much a 'new' universe as a transformation of an old one.

Out of curiosity please define ghost radiation.

What about Murphy's law?

If you mean the TV show, then the chances of it developing in parallel are quite slim if it's the kind of place that has white holes.

If you mean the list of the fundamental problems of life, then I think you forget Murphy's Law clearly states that:

"When you find yourself in another universe where even the laws of physics are different, you can bet your ass Murphy's Law will be the one thing you recognise."

I think we need to establish what a worm hole is. 1 A region of space torn open allowing a path to another universe. 2 Two distant regions of space joined by a path that bypasses normal space time. A black hole compresses space so the only way one could create a worm hole is if there were two close together. An inter universe bridge would only work if holes in space time opened in both universes and joined at some point and a barrier of some description maintained seperation of universes. I beleive that when worm holes are discussed it a distance short cut that people are talking about. I have a parachute feel free to shoot me down in flames at any time. :D

Sayo, regardless of the laws of physics being different, they are meaningless without 'stuff'(ie matter/energy) to apply it/them too.

As for a definition of a wormhole, I don't believe that it is possible to 'escape' this universe in any way shape or form, so any wormhole would only take you to another part of the universe. Possible its center, possibly far back in time, but not out of it...

Sayo, regardless of the laws of physics being different, they are meaningless without 'stuff'(ie matter/energy) to apply it/them too.

I would have thought the laws probably being different in the first place takes precedence, seeing as this is all supposition.

Supposition indeed, but I stand by my comment that without matter or energy to apply the laws to, the laws themselves are meaningless...

That's all very nice (although I think you are confusing meaningfulness with functionality) but it doesn't address the issue we are discussing, where the presence of matter and energy is your own assumption:

If there are white holes in 'another' universe there would have to be ones in ours(conservation of matter/energy/information).
I don't think conservation laws would apply across universes.
Why not? The energy/mass has to come from somewhere...

Energy (in its purest form) is needed to create anything. You cannot have a universe with nothing in it, its not a universe, it is nothing. Unless you invoke a deity who can place some particles here and subtract some there, then having a universe with different laws but nothing in it would be neither functional nor meaningful.

Think of a very primitive version of the anthropic principle; a world cannot exist without anything in it to define its existance.

As for the laws of conservation...sure the matter would not be in the same form as there would most likely be a discontinuity at the boundary between universes but the matter/energy would still exist no less (all be it in a different form). This is all on the erroreous assumption, no less, that there exists 'bridges' between universes.

My main arguement against the creation/destruction of matter is that, if these wormholes exist then there would presumably be many of them (given the age/size of OUR universe). And if that was the case and matter could simply 'leak' out, then the universe would deflate, rather than expand...