Pardons Wager

blood_pardon

There are 6 billion people on the planet that say:

A Supernatural Force Exists Eternally

or

I'm not sure.

or

I am sure that no SF exists.

Some say there are one billion "non-religious" individuals living on our planet. Less that 1/6 say "I'm not sure" and "I am sure that no SF exists."

"For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing. A central point in between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either." -Blaise Pascal

We exist and that is something all at SFTHE ORIGINAL can admit. There seems to be reason and rhyme to the universe. Humans have personality and a sense of humor.

"the bible is true" is not a well-formed expression. You can examine the validity of statements within the Bible, but the Bible on the whole can't really have a truth value. Further, in order to test the more specific hypothesis, "all the destruction and evil is the result of sin" you'll first have to define more precisely exactly what you mean by evil and exactly what you mean by sin.

And all this before we can even begin to assess its truth value.

Unless the bible is true and all the destruction and evil we witnessed thoroughout all history is the result of sin.

We don't really want this to become a religious soap box.

However, it is interesting from a biology/physiology perspective to ask why religion is so popular given our scientific knowledge and complete lack of evidence for god(s), an afterlife or reincarnation etc?

We may have to separate two classes here.

1) Why is religion so popular?

2) Why is organised religion so popular?

The first I believe is largely based on fear of death. Ones own and that of family and friends. The second I think comes in part from my first suggested answer coupled with the human desire to belong. We are biologically a "pack animal".

Anyway, being a atheist is quite liberating in a sense. I believe there is no afterlife and that we must all do the best we can with our lives. I enjoy my life without fear of upsetting a god and contribute in a positive way to my society and mankind. I think saying much more is not really appropriate for this forum.

Unless the bible is true and all the destruction and evil we witnessed thoroughout all history is the result of sin.

Well if that is the case, then it should be pretty clear cut. But, you'd have to show how "the bible is true" predicted all the "destruction and evil". And it would have to do so more accurate than say, psychology.

I think it is pretty clear that this is not the case, as showing a causal link between "sin" and "destruction and evil" appears to be impossible. Not to mention how ill-defined these terms are.

The second I think comes in part from my first suggested answer coupled with the human desire to belong. We are biologically a "pack animal".
We are also a pack animal capable of recognizing authority from higher tiers on the pack structure, authority that we often have never actually encountered. We can acknowledge that our presidents/prime ministers/kings (even gods) can dictate what happens to us ultimately, and we allow that authority even though we've never come in contact with the individuals wielding it.

There are 6 billion people on the planet that say:

I don't even understand what "supernatural force" means.

"For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing. A central point in between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either." -Blaise Pascal

I have a toothache, therefore the universe must give a damn. - Me

We exist and that is something all at SFTHE ORIGINAL can admit.

Nooooooo! it can't be!

There seems to be reason and rhyme to the universe. Humans have personality and a sense of humor.

The purpose of the universe is to fix my toothache.

all the destruction and evil we witnessed thoroughout all history is the result of sin.

That seems like a backward idea whenever I see it, no offense. The destruction and "evil" appears more tied to weak problem-solving, and lack of communication -- or purposely distorting it.

Anyway, being a atheist is quite liberating in a sense. I believe there is no afterlife and that we must all do the best we can with our lives. I enjoy my life without fear of upsetting a god and contribute in a positive way to my society and mankind.

Very well said! And whilst others might be living this life for the next, as an atheist myself, I am living this life for this one!