Alleged Russian missile produces spectacular visual event over Norway

vordhosbn

Maybe some of you are familiar with this, maybe not. :)

On 9th December, early in the morning, before sunrise, many norwegians were witnesess to strange phenomenon, which lasted for about 10-12 minutes.

article-1234430-0787DEA4000005DC-908_634x348.jpg

NorwayWhiteBlueSpiralsBldgs.jpg

earthfiles.com Article

dailymail.co.uk Article with good quality video

Short description of the event in Wikipedia

When i first saw the pictures i immediately thought that they were fake, but seemingly later reports confirmed the spectacular nature of the event with more photos and videos. Not to mention that thousands of norwegian citizens eyewitnessed the phenomenon.

The official explenation, which is propagated all over the internet news websites, is that it was a failed russian missle test - a RSM-56 Bulava Intercontinental Balistic Missle, that experienced a defect in it's third stage.

I am not really a frantic pseudosience/conspiracy fan, but there are just some details about this, that arise questions...

For example, first i was intrigued about the spiral, which seems so perfect and equaly expanding in all directions with constant speed, that i failed to imagine how an out of control rocket engine will "paint" it.

Then when the official story began to add details, it seemed a little more plausable - in low air pressure and low gravity conditions, not many things can distrub a spiraling missle trajectory... Well, but it is moving already, right... so if it's engine applies constant thrust to the already moving rocket, how the spiral will form, as it seems from the video, in one plane?

article-1234430-078BBB05000005DC-136_634x402.jpg

Another thing was that the spiral stayed pretty much undistrubed, until suddenly it collapsed and dissolved in space forming a dark circle in it's center (darker than the sky around it), so what could be the cause of that. Explosion? There is no shockwaves in space, so the only way matter can be blown out is by other matter, which it doesn't look like.

lights_1540569c.jpg

Any thoughts?

From my rocketeering experience, it does look like a rocket with a defect in either its nozzle or in its fuselage resulting in the expelling of fuel on consequent spiral formation. From what I see it appears that at the later stages of its trajectory that its instability resulted in its planeing out. Basically the centripetal force pulled the back end up to the same plane as the nose resulting in the large spiral disk.

The blue/green color is/could be the result of the fuel. Most rockets have a sort of liquid fuel or a solid fuel depending on its purpose. For this matter I would assume liquid fuel because of the whole spiral thing. If it is a liquid fuel then it is also safe to assume that it could have a chemical in it that burns blue and is used as a catalyst for oxidation.

Acutally if you notice the trajectory curves slightly, in relation to gravity and a top heavy object. and the "Sudden" dissolving of the object, is in fact it running out of propellent to propell out of it. the object is still there but there is no illumination making it appear to dissolve. as for the round dissolving spiral. that is the fuel burning up.

Don't be so hasty - let's stick to the facts - ITAR TASS does not say anything about the spiral light observed by local residents.

From CNN.com:

The Russian Defense Ministry has confirmed the Russian Navy launched a Bulava ballistic missile on the same day, but has declined to make any connection with the lights seen over Norway.

It confirmed the missile was fired from the "Dmitry Donskoi" nuclear submarine, but would not comment on the submarine's location at the time of launch.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/10/norway.ufo.light/index.html

In my opinion, it seems very plausable, but very plausable does not mean 100% undisputable truth...

Nothing is 100% truth, but when you have an accumulation of evidence towards one conclusion, I would say it's safe to assume it's correct.

My point is mostly that by saying "alleged russian missile" the OP seems to suggest an alternative; if the alternative suggested is the one paraded online after the event, then it has something to do with a paranormal even or a UFO sightings.

Both of the above require quite a large number of evidence, because they require a leap from our *current* knowledge of our universe. The conclusion of the phenomenon being a Russian missiles that the russians just aren't too thrilled to expose too many details of, is a much more logical assertion.

I wouldn't say that's a russian missile with 100% certainty. Then again, I wouldn't say gravitational laws are true in 100% certainty, either (as Einstein tweaked Newton's laws, etc).

And yet, we're safe to assume that they are both - for all intended purposes - the reality.

~moo

At the time of the posting I couldn't see how this can be a rocket, so i put "alleged" not because i was thinking that it was paranormal in nature, but because the official version did not convince me. Later on the day i saw Zolar V's explenation and a

of a proposed simulation, so yeah i am pretty much now sure that it was russian rocket...

But... why are government officials denying comments about the seemingly obvious connection between the observed spiral light and their failed missile test?

At the time of the posting I couldn't see how this can be a rocket, so i put "alleged" not because i was thinking that it was paranormal in nature, but because the official version did not convince me. Later on the day i saw Zolar V's explenation and a
of a proposed simulation, so yeah i am pretty much now sure that it was russian rocket...

Fair enough.

I also must say - my frustration over this subject isn't meant to be on you at all -- you seem to be a smart individual who is interested in checking the data, cooperate and think for yourself. It seemed, though, that the blogosphere should learn a thing or two from your attitude, and my semi-frustration was on them.

But... why are government officials denying comments about the seemingly obvious connection between the observed spiral light and their failed missile test?

There's a difference between letting others do the math and actually *admitting* to something. It has to do with official'ness and politics. It's not the first time and it's not surprising too much.. admitting this would mean that (a) they ran a test in potentially very bad weaponary (ICBMS = potential nuclear? potential political problem, probably) and that (b) they did it over a foreign country, or almost over a foreign country, and © they failed the test.

Any or all of the above may cause the Russian military to .. well.. not admit to much ;)

~moo

Hmm, yes. Also if I am not wrong, Norwegian Government haven't been warned about the test.

And was there no single astronomer in Norway, to point his spectroscope toward the spiral, so chemical composition could have been identified, leaving no space for speculation? If I were an astronomer, and if I had a spectroscope, that would be the first thing in my mind.

There's a difference between letting others do the math and actually *admitting* to something. It has to do with official'ness and politics. It's not the first time and it's not surprising too much.. admitting this would mean that (a) they ran a test in potentially very bad weaponry (ICBMS = potential nuclear? potential political problem, probably) and that (b) they did it over a foreign country, or almost over a foreign country, and © they failed the test.

Any or all of the above may cause the Russian military to .. well.. not admit to much ;)

~moo

that is exactly one of the reasons why a foreign government would deny testing military weapons.

What's the problem?

~moo

Scientists are suppose to remain skeptical.

It's ok for people to generate arguments, though.

Edited by Genecks

It seems this has happened again.

Yeah but no where near as spectacular as the one over Norway! The one over Norway really looked weird this one just looks like a failed missile.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I am wondering if the recent Russian Missile tests are a response to the United States' recent agreements with Poland to station Patriot Missiles in Polish territory.

If it was heads must be rolling somewhere for the failures!

Yeah but no where near as spectacular as the one over Norway! The one over Norway really looked weird this one just looks like a failed missile.

By the way, I can't help but wonder if this isn't a simple result of our confusion for the first one.

For that matter, look at the pictures from the missile over norway - the moon is weird, it's distorted. I'm not quite sure why (a filter?) so I wonder if the second images/video isn't a simple case of "been there, seen that" where the people working on the pictures spent less time working out weird ways of presenting them..?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.