Gay Marriage

bloodhound

I am against gay marriage.

I think the state has no business asking, or condoning, or condeming, or even having an opinion on what 2 (or more!) consenting adults do in private. I think the state should abolish state condoned marriages of all kinds. There should be no tax breaks and no special rights for couples by default.

Instead, if people want to get 'married' for religious reasons, they should go to their church and have a religious cerimony (with no associated legal binding).

If they want to have the rights currently associated with 'marriage', they should go see their laywer and draw up a contract.

I must admit though to being a little bit confused as to why the gay community is making such a stink about this. Surely there are only two reasons to get married - religous or legal (as outlined above). Since they can still do both of the things I suggest above (ie. have a religious cerimony, and visit their lawyer), why do they need the state to ratify their union? :confused:

Marriage brings many benefits: Child custody, ownership rights, insurance reductions, tax benefits, etc. Also, I guess some want their union to be seen as more legitimate.

Marriage also brings benefits to society and that is one reason for government to support it. Some would say that social engineering is not a role of government, but I say that it is a chief role of government. Forcing marriage would of course be a different issue, just as forcing gays not to marry.

Society is changing, but slowly. Gay marriage is a question of when, not if.

Marriage provides a stable platform for raising children, among other things. Notice that as divorce becomes easier problems related to raising children become more prevalent. Marriage also means people don't just pick up and leave in a fit of anger. Divorce is becoming too easy, though. I think it should be harder to divorce rather than easier. Too many people bail on their commitments rather than work through the problems.

As an analogy, in Germany it costs about $1400 to get your driver's license (the sound you hear is the jaws of the American readers dropping). In the US it's about $25. In Germany, there's no point system. If you abuse your driving priveleges, they take your license away. Another $1400, please. Germans are some of the most serious drivers I've ever shared the roads with. In the US, people drive like idiots because they get points taken away first, then your license is revoked. It's easier to get your license back so people don't respect the privelege of driving.

My point is, if it were more difficult to do, people wouldn't use divorce as a crutch as often. Families would become more stable because people would learn to work through their differences.

ay, if you look throughout history conservatism has never prevailed over progressive movements.

Which explains why homosexuality was more tolerated in Victorian England than in ancient Greece.....

erm.... hang on a minute.....

:P

Just like to say that I am totally against ninjas, as they are merely assassins who kill for money - they have no honour.

As for gay marriage - If the state sees fit to bestow priveleges on individual s who choose to get married then those priveleges should be open to all citizens regardless of sexual orientation if the society is to be fair, free and liberal.

As for Victorian intolerance - it was a mixture of a reaction against the headonistic ways of the previous regimes and a rise to prominance of the US and it's puritanical culture. Victorian society becomes more and more intraverted as the years go by and imported ideaology from the likes of Kellog compounded this (can't believe the guy invented cornflakes believing they stopped masturbation). Victorian society also saw the rise of the middle class to the social forefront - traditionally a much more conservative group than the upper classes (who often continued their shenanigans anyway e.g. Prince Edward).

ay, if you look throughout history conservatism has never prevailed over progressive movements.

I think this is usually the case as new generations demand more freedoms within a society. But, when that society fails(Greeks) or is transported(Puritans), they seem to go backwards.

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously don't see why a marriage allowed to only heterosexuals would draw the developement of a sociaty back. And other way around, why is it such a positive contribution to a sociaty if homosexuals are allowed to marry? Just bacause we can call ourselfes more tolerant?

Could anyone tell me just one positive outcome of a law allowing gay people to marry? I can't think of anything right now.

A marriage is a sacred thing, with a tradition going back almost to the roots of humanity. Gays marrying? No thank's.

I seriously don't see why a marriage allowed to only heterosexuals would draw the developement of a sociaty back. And other way around' date=' why is it such a positive contribution to a sociaty if homosexuals are allowed to marry? Just bacause we can call ourselfes more tolerant?

Could anyone tell me just one positive outcome of a law allowing gay people to marry? I can't think of anything right now.[/quote']

Laws are made to protect the rights that a society affords its citizens. Your argument is circular, and unless it applied to every law that was made would be special pleading - i.e. discrimination.

Nobody is asking for a special "gay law" to be made. You need to be more familiar with the issue if you want your comments to make sense.

A marriage is a sacred thing, with a tradition going back almost to the roots of humanity. Gays marrying? No thank's.

And how many times have such wooly and non-specific "arguments" been torn to shreds on here?

...but only with regards to gay people?

No - quite generally, but extending the concept of state sanctioned marriage is still a bad thing. It makes it more accepted and 'normal'. We should do away with state marriages altogether and leave them for religious groups.

Reinforcing the idea that the state should need to legitimise people's private sexual preferences....

well, this has little to do with sex. This has more to do with recognizing and granting rights which are granted to others who are married. Tax breaks, benefits, access to emergency rooms for ICU, etc.

But I fail to see where this is a negative effect of 2 gay people being married. I fail to see how this has anything to do with your life, nor can I see how this in anyway limits anyone's freedom, nor causes them pain, unhappiness, or makes them unable to live a decent life.

Remember, cause and effect; gay couple married, which caused ______ to happen to me. The answer I'm looking for would go in the blank.

No - quite generally, but extending the concept of state sanctioned marriage is still a bad thing. It makes it more accepted and 'normal'. We should do away with state marriages altogether and leave them for religious groups.

What DRZ said.

Plus I see hypocrisy in complaining on the one hand that the government "has no business telling us how we should or should not live our lives", but on the other hand saying that something that does not affect you makes someone else's lifestyle "more accepted and 'normal'".

The standards you want for yourself are too good for gay people. We're back to discrimination again.