whats the chances of alien life form more intelligent than us?

You may not have said it, but you implied it. Read your posts again.

Who are you talking to, and what are you talking about?

When did NSA start using heat shields for pressure?

Who are you talking to? If you want to see what happens to probes under extreme pressure, and the steps that are taken to extend the life of such probes, read up on missions to Venus.

Why do you assume that there would be something not just right.

What does that mean, and who are you talking to?

Why would they have to use radiowaves? Maybe they started using something else.

I presume that was directed at me, seeing as I recently mentioned radio waves. If so, you obviously did not (a) read or (b) understand my very simple proposition.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one was to Sayonara. The second was to Admiral. The third one was to Jordan. Read post #145.

The last was to help illustrate your point. Not only are we not looking everywhere or on all frequensies, but they may not even be using radio waves.

The first one was to Sayonara.

I am in the habit of saying precisely what I mean to say, and not implying things that I do not believe to be so.

Kindly point out exactly where you think I "implied" that life off Earth goes by the same rules as terrestrial life.

When you talked about how life "COULDN'T" do certain things.

I asked you to point out EXACTLY where I said or implied that - this means you give me the post number or numbers.

Given that all I have been arguing with you is

We're not talking about whether or not life is 'there'. We're talking about where we should bother looking.

I don't particularly envy you the task.

I have already said once that this thread has to get back on topic. I don't intend to allow matters to reach a stage where I have to say it again.

It was on topic until you took it off.

Posts #32 and #38 disagree with you.

Regardless, you get told by an admin to get back on topic, then you get back on topic. Whining about who took the thread off-topic to begin with won't get you anywhere.

We probably won't be able to find exraterrestrial life until we can go there.

Given that "there" is likely to be very, very, very far away, and that detection technology is likely to advance considerably faster than interstellar travel, I disagree.

How are we gonign to tell that life is out there if we can barely see the extrasolar planets?

So because we currently can't 'see' them you're saying we should abandon attempts to improve detection technology (as mentioned by sayo) and instead make a rocket to take us to places that... oh I give up

As an example' date=' I'd say that the assumption any sufficiently intelligent species will be communicating using radio waves is a pretty big one.

Additionally, our methods for detecting such signals in the first place leave a lot to be desired. It's a big sky.[/quote']

I'm jumping way back because everything in the middle is off topic once again.

I think you said before we look for what would provide the best chance of sucess. There are many ways they can comunicate with us, but with a decent understanding of science, I think any other inteligent beings could very possibly have chosen radio waves as we have done. We have to go by what gives us the best chance of success. What do you think would be a more likely way for them to communicate?

From the example of this planets history i'd guess that intelligent life is going to be very rare.

Over the billions of years life has evolved here before the rise of our species inteligence does not appear to have ever developed, where as other traits and adaptations have reapeatedly reoccured time and again.

Admittedly we dont know how representative our planet is but working from the available data intelligence does not seem to be the automatic outcome of the existence of life. Life may be plentiful, intelligence may be rare and therefore precious.

Sayonara said "Given that "there" is likely to be very, very, very far away, and that detection technology is likely to advance considerably faster than interstellar travel, I disagree." Which implies that we should look for life on planets using telescopes. That makes no sensse.

Sayonara said "Given that "there" is likely to be very, very, very far away, and that detection technology is likely to advance considerably faster than interstellar travel, I disagree." Which implies that we should look for life on planets using telescopes. That makes no sensse.

****wit.

Nobody is this stupid - you are trolling.

Sayo this is the post that he was talking about in context.

Given that "there" is likely to be very, very, very far away, and that detection technology is likely to advance considerably faster than interstellar travel, I disagree.

Oh man, this was entertaining!

The universe has existed for a bit more than a dozen billion years.

Our planet has been here for around a third of that.

Life on Earth appeared maybe 3.5-4 billion years ago.

Humans have been around for a few hundred thousand years.

A million years from now, it's possible that human beings, or at least descendants of the human race, still live here, perhaps not a lot unlike how we live today.

But given a another few million years, I really don't think any human civilisation remains. The human race has become extinct.

Ants will still build their mounds and wage their microwars. Birds will still sing when the sun rises in the morning. The cherry tree will still blossom as beautifully as ever every year. But there will be no human beings left to witness it all.

For the moment, we think we're the rulers of the world. And we are, in a sense, but I don't think we have much say in our future destiny. Not on a time scale of hundreds of thousands of years.

In the same sense, civilisations elsewhere in the universe, if any indeed have existed, exist today or will exist in the future, will almost certainly have a limited life span. Be it hundreds of thousands of years, or millions.

In a billion years, we can fit a thousand million-year civilisations. In 10 billion years, we can fit a hundred thousand hundred-thousand-year civilisations.

If we aren't perfectly matched both in evolutionary pace and timing, as well as technologically, neither will ever be aware of the other's existence.

Even if two civilisations happen to be perfectly matched on a sort of absolute time scale, if we're too far apart, the speed of light will make any percieved simultaneity impossible.

Outside a few hundred light years, communication will be pretty much limited to one way.