whats the chances of alien life form more intelligent than us?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Data not collected does not mean data doesn't exist. Look at SIMALAR enviroments on Earth ocean floor vents for example.

And you should read up on some of JaKiri's posts in this thread.

The whole thread is about having an Advanced civilization somewhere in cosmos. That means this civilization is a complex life forms + Intelligence for technological advancement. A mibrobe will not work and at this point in time, a complex on a gas giant is well, incomprehensible by our current understanding of complex -aka. multicellular organism.

Thereby, if all we did was to send numerous probes to various planets without running any tests on these planets before hand to see if they 'might' sustain life, then well, Sayonara is absolutely right where as we will be waisting countless billions of $$$'s and looking for imaginary life.

All life capiable of Intelligence has to start somewhere

And you should read up on some of JaKiri's posts in this thread.

The whole thread is about having an Advanced civilization somewhere in cosmos. That means this civilization is a complex life forms + Intelligence for technological advancement. A mibrobe will not work and at this point in time' date=' a complex on a gas giant is well, incomprehensible by our current understanding of complex -aka. multicellular organism.

Thereby, if all we did was to send numerous probes to various planets without running any tests on these planets before hand to see if they 'might' sustain life, then well, Sayonara is absolutely right where as we will be waisting countless billions of $$$'s and looking for imaginary life.[/quote']

Who said anything about microbal life? There are several varieties of multicellular life at ocean vents.

No, there's quite a few more than 'several' varieties of multicellular life in the ocen by the geothermal vents. But then again, the conditions near those vents(even considering all the pressure) is insignificant when compared to what a gas giant has. Plus most of the sattelites or probes that were shot into these giants didn't last very long.

Because the crushing pressures would be much greather towards the core than in it's outmost atmosphere.

As far as the probes/sattelites, I'm sure that they has some kind of protection. But then to provide enough shielding on a satellite that will let it 1) reach the core of such a planet. 2) Survive and 3) To still be able to send data back would be astromonically expensive. Even if NASA got enough funding to make one such probe, they will still be taking a huge chance and may not get any data back that will justify the cost.

No? Are you absolutely, positively sure of that?

Surely if the deep ocean pressures can crush a Military grade Submersible, and the pressure, temp, etc, is much much greater on say Saturn, it will do the same with a flimsy probe. Right?

Unless the probe entering Saturn simply ceases to abide by the laws of physics as we now know them......Hmm.....

How do we know that this " Life " is imaginary ,have we looked in gas giant for life? If we have I would like to know the results of the study.

Like Jordan said, until it is observed in some way it is "imaginary", no matter how likely it is.

Data not collected does not mean data doesn't exist. Look at SIMALAR enviroments on Earth ocean floor vents for example.

What about them? They aren't imaginary because we observed them. To be honest the life around deep sea vents isn't that alien, and the conditions are not "utterly hostile" despite how the tabloids might interpret the data.

In real life odds are useless. NOTHING is impossible just highly improbable

That's not true.

All of you are assuming that all life goes by the same rules as earth. We are made to work on Earth, so we have our own rules. Life in other places will not have the same rules.

Once again, nobody has ****ing said that. Read the thread again NOW before something bad happens.

Post #102, 1st paragraph.

So?

All life capiable of Intelligence has to start somewhere

That's fairly self-evident and doesn't add anything to the discussion either way.

This thread will get back on topic now.

So what are the chances there is an alien life form more inteligent than us?

I'm going to change this to just within our galaxy for simplicity now. So I would say it is fairly low. We know that the stars on the spiral "arms" of our galaxy have been around long enough for planets to form and give life a chance to form also. We are capable of observing these in the greatest detail (as they are closest to us) and continue to do so. I would say that if life in our galaxy was reasonably more inteligent than us, we would have seen some kind of trace, something that just wasn't right. As far as I know we haven't, so I'll put the odds at a low.

What could we be doing wrong?

I think by considering ourselves the inteligent life on which we measure the others give us some sort of self-imposed advantage whether we are using the correct methods or not.

As an example, I'd say that the assumption any sufficiently intelligent species will be communicating using radio waves is a pretty big one.

Additionally, our methods for detecting such signals in the first place leave a lot to be desired. It's a big sky.

In order to do this correctly we must ask ourselves some questions.

What defines intelligence?

How do we mesure such intelligence ?

Finally, what do we do if such intelligence is found?

You may not have said it, but you implied it. Read your posts again. When did NSA start using heat shields for pressure? Why do you assume that there would be something not just right. Why would they have to use radiowaves? Maybe they started using something else.