Copyrighting???

walkntune

I don't think you can copyright an idea (how would you make sure that I am not thinking your copyrighted idea?). You can patent ideas in some sense by proving it to work in general and then having the patent also covering similar devices. Copyrights exist for publications. Usually when you publish a scientific paper you give away the copyright to the publisher (but in practice they often still grant you some rights, particularly to also publish the contents on a free-to-download server). I am not sure what you mean about the quotes. I think if I say something in public then I can hardly charge people for repeating what I said in public.

If you have an invention, you can patent it, but you cannot copyright a scientific idea, and to do so goes against all principles of science.

If you publish your idea in a reputable scientific journal with supporting experimental evidence (assuming it's correct), you'll be cited and gain a reputation, but that's it.

We don't do science to get rich, we do it to advance human knowledge.

How does someone go about copyrighting a scientific idea? If you do get a copyriight do your quotes have a copyright as well? Thanks!

REPLY: You can write up say a pamphlet discussing your ideas. Then go through the not difficult process of copyrighting it. It establishes a date and time for your work, an official record of it. You cannot copyright the idea,concept itself and expect any royalties from others using your ideas, but it establishes a record of your work, a date and such which can be of some value. It is just the same as copyrighting a book because that is what you are doing. I have done it. That`s as much as I know about it. ...Dr.Syntax

Your work is copyrighted as soon as it is put down in "fixed form;" in this case, writing and/or drawing. You can register the copyright, which allows some additional legal options, e.g. suing for statutory damages. The copyright only protects the specific thing you have created, not the idea underlying it.