Negative effects of Caffeine?

Freeman

I know that caffeine combats rare types of ADD, but that seems to be the only beneficial thing it does. WOW, I never knew it had such side effects...

it makes you posting here instead of going to bed ...
You say that like it's a bad thing!

Depends how much you have, how frequently and how sensitive you are to it. Too much can result in: Agitation, Anxiety, sleeplessness, loss of concentration, increased irritability, tremor, elevated heart rate and blood pressure and dehydration (as mentioned. It is a diuretic). If you smoke also, it magnifies the effects of smoking on the heart and circulatory system.

• 4 weeks later...

Cofee is a "drug" which has euphoric results. If you drink one cup of cofee today, over two weeks you will feel the need to grink two cups of cofee. Your body gets used more and more with the euphoric state. And to fulfil the body's demands it requires a larger quantity every time. So I sugest u stop drinking cofee.

I recently went to Washington DC for seminars and I had 4-5 cups a day. On the day I flew back I decided I wasn’t going to have any because I wanted to sleep on the plane. Well it didn’t quit work out like I planed; I got a horrible headache that kept me awake.

As a runner I know that soda isn't very good for hydration(especially sodas with caffeine). I was wondering if caffeine free sodas were much better. Obviously they don't have the caffeine which is a plus. But in terms of benefits for running how do they compare to stuff like water. I know that water is better but how much better and why?

Well Joml88 , you should forget that caffeine is a necesary drug when ligtweighting, some of the stuff i use for GYM contains caffeine, it makes the body render more workout.

So... if you drink caffeine for a competition then you may increase your results. for at least a quarter of secon... in my personal case i downed from 13 to 12 seconds. 2 years ago. when running 100 meters.

About soda, the bad thing of soda is mostly the sodium.

And about water, it may vary where are you drinking water :P for training i would suggest juices.

And well yes indeed caffeine makes you be used to it.

I cannot pass a day without having caffeine from any source possible.

But what about the loss of concentration. i did not knew that...

I feel better concentrated.. actually more analitic... though agresive indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mully
yes, it dehydrates and blocks a hormone that induces sleep

Dude you are so wrong it is sad.

First of all it does not dehydrate, Caffine increases urine flow

and It does not block a hormone, caffine is very similiar to adenosine which cause someone to get sleepy. They are so alike caffine can attach to the receptors causing blood vesels in the brain to constrict, which makes the body think it is in danger and starts releasing adrenaline and your liver starts releasing more sugar into the blood giving you more energy.

So know what your talking about before you start talking.

By the way you where just proven wrong by a 9th grader

"By the way you where just proven wrong by a 9th grader..." And that could only come from a 9th grader too!

For mysleve i got nasty sleepdisorders.. started to live on 32 h awake and 16 asleep.. punched a bigger guy out of the bar like nothing (i just blackened for veeery little) and afterwards though i could order another beer(well i had had a few beers and loads of caff).... i belive im VERY sensetive.. i got this sensetive after my WAD (whiplash) anybody have a connection to this? i find it veeery strange!

• 1 month later...

Hmm :confused:

I drink a lot of coffee, let's say around 750 ml/day and yes, I'm dependant on my daily dose of caffeine.

I have tried to reduce, to replace or stop it. No chance. If I do not take at all, I'll get a headache and I have to take a mid-day nap. If I don't touch an 'optimum', I'm sleepy and I cannot concentrate on work.

So, I resign myself and enjoy it when it's warm on my desk.

However I made a compromise with myself in order to sleep better. I usually take strong coffee in the morning and change it for a mild one later. I do not take after 2 p.m. When I do it, I can forget about sleep that night.

Irritable ? Only if I do not touch my optimum/day. :D

I have been told by several dietitians that it's best to leave it alone if you're trying to lose weight because it stimulates the appetite.

I drink a lot, but I do not have the appetite. I can forget about my breakfast, but not the coffee. Same thing at dinner.

I do need a lot of concentration and attention for the job I have, so I suppose I am dependant of my daily dose of caffeine. I have tried to reduce or replace it, but no chance.

Maybe if I chance the job for something less stressful.

• 3 weeks later...

Caffine is a diuretic.... It causes vasodilitation of the afferent renal arteriols and therfore incresase both hydrostatic and oncotic pressure within the glomerulous causing the increased amounts of fluid to be osmotically passed into the collecting ducts into the ureters into the bladder through the urethra and then into the toilet. End of story.

I just proved a ninth-grader wrong

• 3 weeks later...

Did you know...Caffeine is administered to premature babies to stimulate their immature lungs to breathe. The dosages are in micrograms and are monitored very closely as as little a double the recommended dose could kill. In a 100 gram body this is a very small margin of error.

When I was young, I was told that caffeine stunts your growth. I've always been skeptical of this claim, since there's no way for most caffeine consuming adults to determine what their height would've been if they hadn't consumed so much. One easy study that would control entirely for genetics and partially for environmental factors would be to get identical twins and have one drink lots of caffeine and the other avoid it. I'm currently unaware of any studies that have attempted this.

I'd go with suppress on days I drink alot of caffeine I don't seem to eat as much (of course that could be because I get my caffeine from soda, lots of sugar)

oh yes to the 9th grader

being a softmore and working in stage craft at the school. I see many freshman start talking back to their superiors (project heads) about what they should do. Trust me you will feal the need to prove others wrong, but if you feal the need to state

"you've just been proved wrong by a ninth grader"

stop and think about it for a while before you post it. The odds are whatever you just said was pretty stupid