Teleportation breakthrough

matter

Biology is matter that is in a transient state. Its constantly changing and it relies constantly on what has just happened to it. It is very sensetive to what is going on immediately around it. You could not teleport someone atom by atom and reconstruct them in the exact same way. The momentum of the indidvual particles, where they were heading prior to disassembly, would not be conserved, thus I conclude it is impossible to teleport any 'living' thing and have it survive the journey.

I would like to be wrong, teleportation would be crazy, but I think the technology to master it for the travel of sentient beings, would be beyond even the most advanced of the universe's species.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i too hope that human teleportation is possible, though you have a very good argument, all i say is; surely if you teleport everything, all at the same time, the body wont know what has happened, wouldnt it carry on like normal? asthough nothing has happened?

an atom doesnt know it past, just its 'path' forwards, it would not notice it had moved places, teleportation takes "no" time.

IMO macroscopic 'instantaneous' teleportation is impossible. You'd have to create a device that can instantly scan you, turn you into code, transport you and reassemble you, without flaw, instantly. Most unlikely.

obviously, it is to do with what and where, which would be all be teleported with quantum entaglement, so surely it would work... no?

I think you have a very basic misunderstanding of what is happening in these quantum teleportation experiments.

• 2 weeks later...
5614, did I not tell you before that quantum teleportation, provides no useful means of transferring information as you still need a classical commuincations channel.

The point is that you can transport the quantum state with 100% fidelity. Swansont keeps making the point that you are only transfering information, but I regard this as a little unfair - you destroy one quantum state and 100% faithfully reproduce it at the other end (with the help of a classical signal, as you say). Since quantum states are indistinguishable if they have the same quantum numbers there is no reason why one should not consider it as 'the same'. I could imagine that being rather useful.

The point is that you can transport the quantum state with 100% fidelity. Swansont keeps making the point that you are only transfering information, but I regard this as a little unfair - you destroy one quantum state and 100% faithfully reproduce it at the other end (with the help of a classical signal, as you say). Since quantum states are indistinguishable if they have the same quantum numbers there is no reason why one should not consider it as 'the same'. I could imagine that being rather useful.

Yes, but the information contained within the state must be transferred via classical means.

correct, i was wrong earlier, there must be a means of sending the data, in experiments so far, lasers have been used... although theoretically it could be done in any means, maybe radio or micro waves will be used to transport the data, as they are currently used in global communications [via satelites] and this would allow satelites to be used... meaning it could be 'beamed' anywhere in the world :)