PyroChemistry

Tian_07

[quote name=Gilded

There's a lot of those' date=' since mortar shells and such aren't really dangerous by themselves, so even United Nuclear (in the case they have completely their shipping to foreign countries) can ship them. I personally would like to get my hands on some Visco safety fuse but it seems to have some sort of shipping regulations.[/quote]

How do you know about this.Have you ordered from them. Do they really ship outside US. I Checked the order form. It says (Sorry we no longer accept internacional orders)

However i'll mail them for some more details.

LP Aspirin

YT, so if i throw salt into regular BP, its going to make it really yellow for the milisecond that it takes to burn. how does this affect the smoke? more, less?
it doesn`t effect the smoke, or make it toxic or harmfull in anyway other than regular BP :)

Yes i Have done it :cool:

Some of you will not belive me but the formula 75:15:10 is not the best one.

It's this one

60:20:20

KNO3:Charcoal:Sulfur.

Add a pinch of dextrin to the mix and voila.

This formula has been tested. So please try it if you have the materials.

I Could see only a flash. :cool:

LP Aspirin

The prices on that link http://www.kno3.com seems to be

horribly expensive. I did notice that they carry red phosphorus -

something that's hard to find in the U.S.. I make my own pyro

chemicals where possible -chlorates, perchlorates, and powdered

metals. Most nitrates and sulfur are readily available here. I can get

barium carbonate and some other chemicals pretty cheap from a

pottery shop. YT2095, I agree with you that primary explosives are the least safe and as such have no use in pyrotechnics.

I use this formula for BP: KNO3 - 74.8 / C - 13.3 / S - 11.9

My scale goes down to .01 gram so it's easy to work with very small

amounts. I've made BP using other metallic nitrates adjusting the

quantities of course. Although slower in performance I do get the colors

these other metals impart. As for testing, I live in an apartment(flat) so

I find a piece of woods far away from residential areas and out of the

prying eyes of the police.

I think it's just a plastic cord that burns quite slowly, and ignited like normal fuse. Probably good for things you need to run a mile away from before they explode. :)

or you could just use a cigarette (I do) and it gives a good 6 minutes at max length and anytime in between :))

keep it simple :)

that plastic igniter cord usually can't be lit without the use of a BP or electric charge. take a lighter to it and most of the time it wont do much. they use this stuff and "quickmatch" in blasting ledge and rocks. well, up here in new england anyway. quickmatch is exciting stuff. some of it can burn like...4-500FPS!!

i have found a web site which i think is incredibly cheap for chemicals eg. potassium nitrate 500g £2.50 nitric acid £9.50 for 2.5ltr 70% conc i am not sure if they sell to the public i think they do in fact i am pretty sure they do because when you order you do not have to give a company name, the only downside is that there is a minimum order of £50 so if you just want something which costs £2.50 you have to buy a lot of it or buy some other chemicals, sorry i forgot to give the address its http://www.labpakchemicals.com

You don't want to put too much though, if you're firing a mortar it may A) blow it apart B) snuff out the fuse. You might wanna try that with a mortar filled with flour or something, and see how high it flies. :P And then you can calculate how much delay you need for it to explode when it's at the highest point. If you're even making mortars at all, that is. :)