PyroChemistry

Tian_07

I was wondering if you have any experience with CuSO4. They say it gives a nice blue collor to fireworks. Is it true.

LP Aspirin

actualy in my post #111, I forgot to mention Copper Chlorate, that DOES work quite well, but again it`s important to keep it dry!

it`s not too difficult to make either, just time consuming.

you`ll need to dissolve some KClO3 in methylated spirits using heat (try to avoid setting yourself on fire!

then add finely powdered CuSO4 and mix well and re-heat.

ther`e will be a precipitate of potassium sulphate and a near flourescent green liquid.

remove the liquid and allow to dry thouroughly, that`s your Copper Chlorate :)

Rose wood cutting or Willow are good too (and you`ll get them this time of year as now is the time to prune them).

wrap them up in tinfoil, pop a few tiny holes in it with a nail and throw it in a fire, it makes great charcoal (even for art work), although lumpwood BBQ charcoal does work very well if you sellect the largest but lightest peices :)

It makes me sad how the US is so afraid of terrorists, and yet one could get hold of components for high explosive material WAY more easily there than in Europe, especially Finland. :< Not that I would want any high explosive material components, though. :)

it would be nice to live in such times where such considerations don`t apply (they hadn`t used to apply in any country once), I rem being able to buy much of the chems talked about here as a kid, but now, due to fears rational or otherwise even simple things are being banned :(

and sadly us majority of good scientists/experimenteers must suffer because of a few idiots, it`s not right I agree, and moving country isn`t the answer, having alot of money most probably is though. it seems the "rich" can still get away with things that we can only dream about of do ilegaly because "THEY" say it`s ilegal :(

kinda sux huh!

<end rant mode>

that has been a dream of mine for a long time... to move to some other country and buy a bunch of land for cheap and do what ever the hell i want. So what countries have cheap land and no "big brother" type restrictions? Canada maybe? I live in the US so Canada would be an easy move, i dont know about Mexico, even though its just 40 minutes south of my house on the freeway. Been arrested there too many times already.

peroxides(dangerous), permanganates(very reactive with water), dichromates, bromates, sulfides, iodides, trioxides, oxides, dioxides, hypochlorates, hypochlorides.....there are plenty to choose from. i think thats all of them, but i could be missing a few.

permanganates arent reactive with water...

good oxidizers are things whose cation is easily reducible, so:

permanganates

perhalates

halates

nitrates

osmium tetraoxide

halites and hypohalites arent good oxidizers, nor are oxides, chromates, sulfates, dichromates, phosphates, sulfites, thiosulfates, phosphites, carbonates, acetates and a bunch of others

but they are oxidizers. and a lot of permanganate mixtures react with moisture. mainly potassium permanganate. add to that 25% powdered sugar and 25% aluminum dust and pour water on it, and then tell me that it doesnt react with water.

add to that 25% powdered sugar and 25% aluminum dust and pour water on it, and then tell me that it doesnt react with water.

um, that's the aluminum dust and sugar being oxidized, not the permanganate reacting with water.

useful oxidizers for pyrotechnics/rocket fuels:

potassium nitrate

potassium chlorate

potassium perchlorate

ammonium nitrate

ammonium perchlorate

hydrogen peroxide

barium nitrate

barium sulfate (at high temperatures)

iron oxide [math](Fe_2O_3 and Fe_3O_4)[/math](at high temperatures)

potassium permanganate (but it's not so good in fireworks)

really, just about all alkali/alkaline earth halates, perhalates and nitrates work well