PyroChemistry

Tian_07

primarys are actualy the least safe! TACC (tetramine copper 2 chlorate) is rarely ever used outside of IED`s and is too easily dead pressed, Fulminates are are the prefered choice for det caps as the primary and often secondary usualy as a trigger for RDX or PETN as the last stage in the cap.

a general rule of thumb, is that the more powerfull the explosive the more stable it is and harder to detonate (there are exceptions to this).

as for are there any `safe` explosives, the answer is yes if treated properly most are, even Nitro Glycerine is perfectly safe if treated correctly, there are however some that are not safe, they behave unpredictably, and so due to this are considered unsafe.

as for the "safest" I`de have to say Binary explosives would be the clear winner, things like ANNM (kinepak) as often used by the civilian EOD (bomb squad).

Never Ever try to make your own explosives! if you must use them, get a proper liscence and buy if from a reputable company, better still, get them to do the job for you! :)

Allow me to explain my error once again. For the sake of brevity I used the term primary incorrectly to reffer to the primary stumping charge said individual would be employing. It is a damnable error, but I have apologised, I should have taken the time to properly post. And as to TACC being used in Improvised devices, well that is what he was inquiring about. One of the beautiful traits of TACC, is that it doesn't require being compressed when loading your own caps, also, we weren't speaking of loading artillery rounds either, so dead pressing really wouldn't be much of an issue. And as to fulminates being favored in initiators, they have actually been replaced in most instances by lead azide or styphnate.

Once again allow me to apologise for my grievous error. It shall not happen again.

not a prob :)

lead azide`s usualy used in modern rimfire rounds, I`ve never known it in det caps though? (ya learn something new everyday). I still wouldn`t use TACC though, it`s reactive, moisture sensitive and has a poor shelf life, it DV isn`t all that great either.

TCAP and HMTD as used in many IEDs also have their fair share of problems associated with them. NEVER try to make ANY explosive! you may get away with it a 100 times, and then one day... you`re maggot meat!

now then, lets get back to the Pyro Topic :)

i thort that someone invented nirtoglycerin but then Nobel's brother dies cos of one

of his factories exploded with it. so he wanted to make it safer by mixing it with lots

of different chems, then he mixed it with kieselguhr ? the thing that it was packed in boxes with, but then he called it dynamite so is dynamite NG?

that IS more or less correct :)

but you have also to remember the times, storage and transport were at the very least Wanting!

and so disaster was bound to occur at almost any given opportunity (and did).

and since then alot of the treatment rules of NG have been revised, using these rules, NG can be safely stored for many years even in a domestic refrigerator without incident, dropping a bottle of it in front of you and having it bounce isn`t reccomended practice but won`t make it detonate either.

forget all you`ve seen on TV movies, it`s mostly all crap!

well made NG stored under ideal conditions is a safe as can be, the improvised stuff is just asking for trouble though!

can we PLEASE get back on the Pyro Topic now!?

dynamite is nitroglycerin with sawdust. the wood chips make it more stable. nitroglycerin was actually first synthsized by the italian chemist ascanio sobrero of turin. he had been studying the effects of nitric acid on organic compounds. he dipped glycerin into a cooled mixture of H2SO4 and HNO3 and poured that into H2O. an oily layer of ng separated out. he tasted the compound and noted that "a trace placed on the tongue but not swallowed gives rise to a most pulsating, violent headache, accompanied by great weakness of the limbs." what's interesting is that nitroglycerin in nobel's time was usually contaminated by acid used in the manufacturing process. it slowly decomposed yielding N2, CO2, H2O and O2 causing the corks of zinc cans it was stored in to pop off. people were stupid...one time ng oil had been used as a lubricant on the wheels of a cart transporting ng. many ships blew up... countries banned ng... so nobel used neutral solids and found that sawdust worked best.

can we PLEASE get back on the Pyro Topic now!?

good call, yt

thanks, remembered seeing it on how 2 and the big bang tv shows... back to pyro, making dextrin - its the binding agent right? i tried to make it by putting cornflour in the oven but it looked like nothing changed.... anyone

• 3 months later...

I think you guys might be interested in my website about home made rocket engines.

http://www.angelfire.com/un/rocketman

It is currently in early stages of development but more expirements and videos will follow soon. You might find the "Early PVC failures" and "Large PVC static test" particularly interesting. All my engines are designed by trial and error as appearant in the early failures video. My ultimate goal is to build a cheap, reuseable, sub orbital launch vehicle using very large "Rocketcandy" motors.

Please email me with any comments and suggestions or sign my guestbook on the site.

you`ll need a temp of about 180c for about 15 mins, spread the flour quite flat and even, but keep watching it, don`t let it burn, it should be a tan color only, try it again :)

so from what i've read so far about making dextrin.

You put some corn flour in the oven at 180 C and leave it for about 15 min until it has a little tan.

And this is it?

LP Aspirin

It's so sad that I cry myself to sleep every single night when I think about it. :)

As an exchange student to USA (United Nuclear) or UK (kno3.com)... I really must think about this. :D

Edit: Now that this happens to be a pyro-thread, I found barium perchlorate for sale; it would probably make a hell of a green flame (even better than chlorate?) but is it just too unstable to be used in fireworks?

that was a pretty sick rocket page man...have you ever flown any of your experiments? also, to really increase the burn rate and overall impulse of your sugar motor, fill the core with some BP or pyrodex. that is, if the core isnt a cone burning core. do you make the core the length of the motor? or do you make a cone at the bottom of the motor? also, where do you get your nozzle material? online? hardware store?

I' tried burning some BP today

and it may seem a bit strange

but it works better when i lit it with a glowing tip of a bamboo

stick.

Is this becouse a match eats most of the Oxygen around the pile of BP

or something like that.

LP Aspirin