Remedies against pain ?

kleinwolf

You question seems too general. It would greatly depend on the cause of the pain, the patients sensitivity to the drugs, and a whole slew of other individual factors which are simply too numerous to list.

I know that the effects of endorphins are short lived compared to synthetic opioids; they're cleared from the system more rapidly. Also, your body naturally produces endorphins under times of stress and pain. Clearly the endorphins are inadequate to mask certain types of pain or we wouldn't need extrinsic analgesics.

You could clone the endorphin genes and synthesize the various endorphins chemically or via some cell-based system. Is that what you're thinking? Based on the above postulates, I don't see why that would be useful or economical.

Even if certain endorphins are more potent than morphine, you would have to deliver the endorphins into the system at a much higher rate (cumulative daily dose) than that of morphine. Actually, I don't know the comparative potency of each. Maybe over the course of the day all those mini injections of beta endorphin would add up to a lower daily dose. Which brings us back to your original question. Good question.

A literal answer would be no. One of the endorphines is dynorphin, which has been found to be 6 to 10 times more powerful than morphine (Han and Xie, 1984).

Han, J. S. and Xie, C. W. (1984). Dynorphin: potent analgesic effect in spinal cord of the rat. Sci Sin, 27(2), 169-177.

Yes, I meant bio-synthetic endorphines, since those are not alien substances, they should work better, just a question of quantity.

With exogenous substances, I don't understand how researcher find the plants needed, far on earth, is this by trial and error (or noticing) at random ?

The point is maybe the dependence towards exogenous substances, which are unknown in the body, whereas endogenous substances are "already" in the list. But I heard that if you receive a treatement with endogenous substances, like hormons, then the body stops to produce them, because generate an internal disorder : the brain notices a hormon increase whereas he didn't asked for anything like this ? It's not an alien substance alert, but could be even more disturbing.

For example I heard that the topic use of hGH could have interaction with the nervous system and induce growth of other parts of the body, like if there were links, as in traditional medicine. But I have no reference for this.

Edited by kleinwolf

• 1 year later...