Food combinations that cause "short circuit" ?

In theory, I don't see why eating two foods at the same time would be any different to eating them one after the other.

I've heard that apparently pregnancy cravings can compel a person to eat rather... unusual combinations of foods, so it would seem to be possible without suffering ill effects.

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I haven't seen any evidence, facts, or reliable studies in connection to what's below. The linked pages provided absolutely no citations for verification. So it might be true, or not -- regardless, it's not science unless verifiable.

I'm just adding it as curiosity pieces to the discussion and to hear input or verification/debunking from real science experts :D

I think the OP might be referring to starches and proteins? The way it goes, supposedly, each creates an opposing digestive environment in the stomach, canceling the other's efforts and thus resulting in poor digestion.

For example, starches trigger alkaline for digestion, while proteins trigger acid. Supposedly, both don't mix well in the stomach, but I'm not sure how much credibility this diet philosopy has.

http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/foodc/don_t_mix_starch_meals_with_protein_meals_.html

If starch is mixed with protein, the enzymes in the stomach are diluted and the stomach feels full for longer because digestion of protein is inefficient. Acid is being produced for every mixed meal, which puts the stomach under stress. The acid has to be neutralised by the bile salts for every meal, which puts the small intestine under stress.

http://www.colonhealthinfo.com/diet/separation_diet.htm

Problems arising from mixing proteins and starches.

In brief, when high starches and high proteins are mixed at the same meal, there is too much acid to allow continued alkaline reduction of the starch, and too little acid to start digestion of the protein. This can result in a wide range of health problems.

Fruits?

Another supposed "poor" combination is fruits with anything else that digests slower. The reason given is that fruits "rot" in the stomach if left digesting over 30-40 minutes. The reason given is that the sugars begin to ferment in your stomach (when trapped by other food).

http://www.soundvision.com/info/halalhealthy/halal.nutrition.asp

Do not eat fruit after any other food or on an empty stomach. Fruits take 20 minutes to digest whereas other foods take 1-2 hours. When eaten one after another fruits ferment in the stomach while waiting for other foods to digest. This can cause bloating, belching and other non-desirable side effects. It is therefore recommended to eat fruits 20 minutes before your meal or 1-2 hours after your meal.

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Indigestion-And-Food-Combinations&id=629495

Let's start with fruits because this is the easiest to understand. Fruits should NEVER be eaten with anything. If you're going to eat fruit, eat it as a snack by itself or way after your meal is over as a dessert. Fruit will ferment with anything that you put with it. Also, do not eat sweet and sour fruits together.

As for the remaining food groups, proteins and vegetables are excellent combinations. A nice salad of greens with some lean turkey or chicken is unlikely to cause indigestion. Do not put tomatoes in your salad. Tomatoes are fruits and will not mix well with everything else.

Hm. I'm not sure about the first (it makes chemical sense... though I usually have carbs and meat together with no problems...), but the second is untrue in my experience. I usually have a banana with lunch, and/or as a snack on its own, as it's the only fruit I eat so I make an effort to get 'em down me. I notice absolutely no difference in how I feel whether I eat it with or without non-fruit foods. Sounds like an old wives' tale to me.

If you eat a big meal and then brush your teeth, dont swallow the toothpaste. Even without a big meal, last time I swallowed some toothpaste I nearly died from dehydration (I puked and had a severe bout of diarrhea).

If you eat a big meal and then brush your teeth, dont swallow the toothpaste. Even without a big meal, last time I swallowed some toothpaste I nearly died from dehydration (I puked and had a severe bout of diarrhea).

I suspect the diarrhoea was connected more to the food than the toothpaste. What'd you eat?

I suspect the diarrhoea was connected more to the food than the toothpaste. What'd you eat?

No, if you eat more toothpaste than recommended, it causes gastrointestinal problems. It even says it on the label. It might just be me, or maybe the brand, but I know if I swallow too much toothpaste, I'll be sitting on the head all night.

No, if you eat more toothpaste than recommended, it causes gastrointestinal problems. It even says it on the label. It might just be me, or maybe the brand, but I know if I swallow too much toothpaste, I'll be sitting on the head all night.

That happens because the toothpaste would neutralise the acid within your stomach meaning pepsin would denature and no longer function properly therefore meaning that proteins can't be catabolised properly, it may also cause problems within the duodenum if it can't accurately account for the amount of acid creating a high pH within the intestines which won't do them any good.

However in your case it does sound more like the food or at least a combination, it seems a slightly excessive reaction for the amount swallowed.

That happens because the toothpaste would neutralise the acid within your stomach meaning pepsin would denature and no longer function properly therefore meaning that proteins can't be catabolised properly, it may also cause problems within the duodenum if it can't accurately account for the amount of acid creating a high pH within the intestines which won't do them any good.

However in your case it does sound more like the food or at least a combination, it seems a slightly excessive reaction for the amount swallowed.

What, it's not as if I swallowed the entire tube of toothpaste *suspicious glances*