Light speed

drawkcab

I am not disputing what is being said here but the speed of light, relative to different observers, is not observed as constant. Warped space or water, the time to travel a given distance is variable. Hence, the speed of light being constant may confuse many.

Read my post above. You're confusing average and instantaneous.

I am not disputing what is being said here but the speed of light, relative to different observers, is not observed as constant. Warped space or water, the time to travel a given distance is variable. Hence, the speed of light being constant may confuse many.

"Speed of light is a constant" is for a vacuum, i.e no absorptions, and applies to locally flat space, i.e. no curvature.

As for it being confusing, nature is under no obligation to be easy to understand.

With the first law of thermodynamics in mind, what is the photon converted into and out of when being absorbed?

The excitation of the absorbing atom. Of course, this assumes that there is a pair of available energy levels separated by just the right amount so that the photon can be absorbed.

One could alternately treat light as a wave, and simply accept the fact that the wave slows down as it encounters a material with permeability and permittivity that is different from vacuum.

The excitation of the absorbing atom. Of course, this assumes that there is a pair of available energy levels separated by just the right amount so that the photon can be absorbed.

Under the circumstances of this discussion (reduction in the speed of light propagation) the absorptions are not into real states and are not constrained to match a real transition in the material.

One could alternately treat light as a wave, and simply accept the fact that the wave slows down as it encounters a material with permeability and permittivity that is different from vacuum.

It does not seem that is going to be the case around here. :)

Edited by NowThatWeKnow

• 2 weeks later...
Nope: the index of refraction is due to the fact that light travels at different speeds in air vs. water, glass, etc. Look at the electromagnetic wave equation, which depends on the electric and magnetic constants for the medium.

It is in fact possible to slow light down to a stop.

Enjoy,

Grant

are you guys saying that this woman in the article is lying, or making this up

are you guys saying that this woman in the article is lying, or making this up

It is poor wording/writing. I dislike the term slow light when talking to people outside the field because they think we mean something that we do not.