Can anyone get this journal article for me?

Hi,

I'm trying to get the article 'Electron microscopy of prefibrillar structures and amyloid fibrils' (1999) by Nielsen et al. in the journal 'AMYLOID, PRIONS, AND OTHER PROTEIN AGGREGATES'.

My university has recently changed its journal access system, I can't get it.

Would anyone be able to attach this article (or similar ones, i.e. reviews of the use/technique of electron microscopy in amyloid fibril analysis) to a reply?

Thanks.

[ATTACH]2038[/ATTACH] I've a slightly different one here, tried to attach it but not sure if I've done it properly, will check:eyebrow:

Yes it works, it's called "Paired -sheet structure of an A(1-40) amyloid fibril

revealed by electron microscopy"

Carsten Sachse*†‡, Marcus Fa¨ ndrich†‡§, and Nikolaus Grigorieff*§¶

*Rosenstiel Basic Medical Sciences Research Center and ¶Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Brandeis University, MS 029, Waltham, MA 02454-9110;

hope it helps

Edited by Sayonara³
Attachment removed

Would anyone be able to attach this article (or similar ones, i.e. reviews of the use/technique of electron microscopy in amyloid fibril analysis) to a reply?

I hope you're not asking anyone to violate any copywrite laws. :eyebrow:

Agreed. PM is best for such exchange if they occur. Perhaps a mod could do it in case mrsemmapeel no longer has the option of doing an edit to her post (I think it goes away for non-staff users after about 6 hours, IINM).

I'm really sorry, it won't happen again :(

No worries at all. Your intention was to help someone, and better, to help them learn. That is not only admirable, but far too lacking in our world. Further, it bothers me deeply that scientific journal articles are not available for free online for anyone who wishes to see them and doesn't have access to the library at a local university. I think the need to pay for information is outdated, and places the ability to find truth arbitrarily into the hands of those who have expendible income. While the business man in me understands the need to recoup cost in order to survive, the more liberal enlightened side of me sees information (especially of the scientific variety) as the one true fertilizer which makes us all grow, advance, and progress as a culture.

In short, the law sucks, and you were trying to do the right thing, so stop worrying and enjoy your life. :)

Further, it bothers me deeply that scientific journal articles are not available for free online for anyone who wishes to see them and doesn't have access to the library at a local university. I think the need to pay for information is outdated, and places the ability to find truth arbitrarily into the hands of those who have expendible income. While the business man in me understands the need to recoup cost in order to survive, the more liberal enlightened side of me sees information (especially of the scientific variety) as the one true fertilizer which makes us all grow, advance, and progress as a culture.

Essentially you are paying for the peer review. As I understand it, some of these journals not only do not pay the scientist but in fact charge them to be published and us to read what is published.

In short, the law sucks, and you were trying to do the right thing, so stop worrying and enjoy your life. :)

Long live Wikipedia, arXiv, and Open Source Software. And bittorrent ;)

Essentially you are paying for the peer review. As I understand it, some of these journals not only do not pay the scientist but in fact charge them to be published and us to read what is published.

Actually you are not as the peer reviewers do not get paid either. The only things that take money are the editorial staff, editing, and publishing itself. Regardless whether it is open access or not, the author has to pay for the publication (the highest cost I had was around 5000$). But in any case, it is unfortunately in their power to restrict dissemination (which is especially frustrating for the author). It is good that many open source journals (which sometimes are pretty expensive to publish in, though) are rising in their impact.

Edited by CharonY

The added value of the publishing company has been reduced as much as the added value of record labels.

Previously both offered a physical product, one that you can touch (in one case, records and CD's, the other massive volumes of information in small letters).

Especially the scientific journals are now practically 100% digital. A company such as Elsevier (the company behind Science Direct and other things) now only operate a search engine and a download server. They also make articles look good, I assume (removing too many empty lines, and reducing the font size to 8 or 10, so that it becomes just a bit harder to read)...

In short, I do not see why they need to be paid as much as they are. It is true that the average article is downloaded perhaps 10-100 times, no more, but I also assume that no more than 1 hr is spent on it from the publishers' side... i.e. easy money.

The part that annoys me the most is that you do not know the quality of the product before you buy it.

(And after typing all this, I re-read the opening post, and I realize that I am quite off topic. It's nice to ramble though... time for coffee!).

Guess this thread is going down towards copyright discussions. But I'd like a coffee, too. But as we are already OT: some journals actually have the authors sign over the copyrights to them. A couple of years back it was quite customary only to be allowed to send reprints of your own paper (which kind of now belongs to the journal) that you (as author) have bought beforehand. Good thing that this has changed for most journals (at least those that I have published in).

Woah, didn't realise this would be so controversial!

For some reason my university doesn't keep the old journals online. Even ones like Nature. I needed an article from the 1960s and I had to physically go through the library archives. It was like the Flintstones.

On my journal articles I've never had to sign copyrights on anything and they've always been available to anyone. I think that's the best way.

Woah, didn't realise this would be so controversial!

For some reason my university doesn't keep the old journals online. Even ones like Nature. I needed an article from the 1960s and I had to physically go through the library archives. It was like the Flintstones.

On my journal articles I've never had to sign copyrights on anything and they've always been available to anyone. I think that's the best way.

Interesting.

To the best of recollection, I've had to sign away copyrights on EVERYTHING....even 'abstracts' for talks at conferences ....which are generally printed in 'proceedings'.

Edited by DrDNA
Consecutive posts merged.

Regardless whether it is open access or not, the author has to pay for the publication (the highest cost I had was around 5000$).

Really? Both of the journals I've published in haven't charged me a dime (though they would have for color figures).

Mokele

For some reason my university doesn't keep the old journals online.

Well, technically the libraries are not allowed to keep electronic copies, but they will have to maintain subscriptions for the particular years to allow access. Some (many?) journals even cancel all access once your subscription runs out, even for the years that you actually had subscriptions.

Really? Both of the journals I've published in haven't charged me a dime (though they would have for color figures).

Mokele

Yupp. The most expensive one had two color figures, though. Without those I would still have been above 2k. Some of the publications of my wife were even more expensive (because they were longer). Common rates are often between 60-250 $ per page for print journals.

BMC for instance, is free, if your institute is member (of if you are), otherwise it is still around 1k$.

h