If aliens were to visit earth, what would they do?

Mr Skeptic

First I have to say I think it's possible that aliens are already here, not on the Earth but inside our solar system. If you give any credence to UFO reports (I'm not saying I do but lets assume that reports are real, at least some of them) then you have three basic choices.

#1. They have a practical FTL drive for their space craft.

In which case all bets are off, we are not playing with a full deck when it come to physics and they can be up to almost anything.

#2. They are here but it's a one hit wonder, an exploration craft is here, it was a slow trip and they intended to either colonize or explore.

#3. They have been here for millennia, they are part of a colonization effort that is based in space instead of planets. Like artificial colonies and they are only interested in the the resources of the asteroids and comets. They have been spreading from stat to star for tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of years at least. There interest in us is only along the lines of our impact on their operations here.