Very unusual eyes...

katcongrave77

My eyes are very unusual. They are different colors, but change colors.

My left eye is 3/4 brown with a 1/4 that is blueish greenish and changes size and color randomly. Sometimes it is more 1/2 and 1/2 of each other other times you can barely see the blueish greenish part.

My right eye is a greenish blue, but has been known to randomly become silver, completely blue, green, or a dark brown.

I first noticed my eyes when I was 4 and have never figured out why they are so random and weird. Many people have noticed them and one genetics doctor only told me that .3% of the population has eyes like mine, but I have never gotten a reason for why they are so random and unusual.

My family has a history of our iris being different colors, but never to the extreme that I do.

Help?

Changes in eye color over a short time are usually due to either changes in the contraction/opening of the iris or changes in blood flow to the iris or both, along with simple changes in the light quality of the area (indoors vs outdoors, etc.)

Longer-term changes can be due to buildup of various proteins or chemicals in the body.

• 2 months later...

i have blue eyes but my left eye is half brown

people have also asked me about the movie unborn so i asked my parents if i was a twin but no im an only child! i further looked into it and realized it was genetic but mine does not change color as yours does

Movies are a bad place to get scientific information -- especially horror movies. Twins are no more likely to have two eyes of different colours than any other child. Chimæras, however, are individuals which result from the fusing of two fraternal twins in the earliest stages of development. This results in a single individual in which roughly half of their cells have one genome and the other half one slightly different. If the two eyes happen to be different genetic entities, one may be brown and the other blue.

My eyes are very unusual. They are different colors, but change colors.

My left eye is 3/4 brown with a 1/4 that is blueish greenish and changes size and color randomly. Sometimes it is more 1/2 and 1/2 of each other other times you can barely see the blueish greenish part.

My right eye is a greenish blue, but has been known to randomly become silver, completely blue, green, or a dark brown.

I first noticed my eyes when I was 4 and have never figured out why they are so random and weird. Many people have noticed them and one genetics doctor only told me that .3% of the population has eyes like mine, but I have never gotten a reason for why they are so random and unusual.

My family has a history of our iris being different colors, but never to the extreme that I do.

Help?

If wikipedia can be considered to be reliable here, then you may have some form of heterochromia or sectoral heterochromia, if I read your description correctly. But it seems it could come about from a number of possibilities. You would probably have to be genetically tested to be sure.

The pictures on wikipedia look so pretty. I wish I had different coloured eyes. :D

does anyone know if melanin is naturally occuring substance?

Yes it occurs naturally in all our bodies, in our hair, eyes, skin, and more internal parts of the body. Most animals have forms of melanin, and I think some bacteria also produce it. But melanin is just a class of compounds, so there are different versions of it, but for us it is a pigment.

what can we do or take to increase its levels? would it be toxic?

I WANT AWSOME EYES!

I don't know about taking something to increase melanin levels, but it depends on what you consider to be awesome coloured eyes... you may need to decrease the levels instead, and other factors come into play.

Take a look at this chart.

I have brownish eyes with almost yellow bits near the pupil. So, I figure I must have moderate melanin levels in the more brown parts, and less melanin around the pupils with a coarse collagen structure. (can anyone with a better understanding confirm that that might be true according to my iris description?)

And because we all want what we don't have, I find blue and greenish eyes to be beautiful. Thus I would want less melanin myself... and a different structured stroma. :rolleyes:

Changes in eye color over a short time are usually due to either changes in the contraction/opening of the iris or changes in blood flow to the iris or both, along with simple changes in the light quality of the area (indoors vs outdoors, etc.)

Longer-term changes can be due to buildup of various proteins or chemicals in the body.

What mokele is saying is accurate. And yes, sounds as you have sectoral heterochromia in your (right ? ) eye.

Oddly enough, some of the current exhange students I met not long ago (spanish, portuguese and italian mostly) , one of the more popular ones has sectoral heterochromia.. 35 % brown , 65% blue, other eye blue and it's the first time I see it! .. i normally don't get so into blondes and blue eyed but cos of that little speck there, we ended up making out a lil lol :/ (then again, that wasnt her only favourable attributes).. anyway. Yes.. the colour changes are mainly lighting plus some chemical interaction within the body.

The inner 50% circular area of my irises are yellow and the outer blue, but due to lighting and (other things) , they can be green sometimes, sometimes blue, but mainly *seemingly* green due to the mix of the two colours. As with many , looking close up , there are also some red specks due to the protein layout.

Although if I go through my pictures, there are also cases with special light settings I seem to have crystal blue eyes, even if this almost never would be the case in daylight.

And as someone pointed out... we wish for what we don't have ME LOVES BROWN EYES :P:P:P: I wish I had eyes like mickey rourke, johnny depp or keanu reeves ;p And IM a total sucker for brown eyed girls.. (and ok, if a beautiful lass has light brown eyes AND blonde hair.. I admit then I can like the blondehair.. eg. Holly Valance ;x)

Sorry about the 80% none scientific post but eyes are indeed the best part about a person's looks.

what can we do or take to increase its levels? would it be toxic?

I WANT AWSOME EYES!

You can get contact lenses for that sort of thing -- much more practical (and easier to control!) than taking mass quantities of melanin. See, e.g., Wild Contacts and Custom Contacts.

A friend of mine in college always talked about getting scleral lenses (lenses that cover the entire front of the eye, including the white) -- mirrored. :eek:

Well, you want awesome, you have to pay for awesome :cool: $50 is what, 3-4 CDs? A WoW upgrade? One textbook?

All of the "special effects" type contacts are available with or without prescription -- not just for those of us who need vision correction. Of course, you get to go through the hassle of learning to wear contacts.

The question remains: how bad do you want "awesome eyes"? Not that I'm advocating this; I stopped putting up with contacts several years ago.

Well, you want awesome, you have to pay for awesome $50 is what, 3-4 CDs? A WoW upgrade? One textbook

or you could just bootleg those c/ds, download that textbook, and do whatever the hell you do with WoW.{world of warcraft?} :D

i like to cheat when it comes to money.>:D

is it possbile to just get some contacts and put some type of paint or adhesive on them{that still alows your eyes to breath} and does the same thing? anyone know of anything like that? i doubt sharpie would be too healthy.

is it possbile to just get some contacts and put some type of paint or adhesive on them{that still alows your eyes to breath} and does the same thing? anyone know of anything like that? i doubt sharpie would be too healthy.

lol i wouldn't try it... if i accidently touch the inside part of my contact when putting it on, i'll feel the dirt bothering my eye... and if you paint it, the paint will get on your eyelids, which will get back to your eye...

what are scleral contacts? cover more than the iris? sound horrible...

I would strongly advise against it. Once the solvent soaked into your cornea, you'd probably really regret it :doh:

Besides, you're going to need some sort of contacts to start with, anyway. Might as well get something safe.