Gravitational pull of black holes

What do you mean by portal?

It might take a non-egghead like me (and I say egghead as a compliment :)) to understand what deoxyribonuclei is trying to say. Occasionally you have to reach across the intellectual aisle to us of lesser scientific vocabulary. For now I'll reach across that aisle as an interpreter. :D

But can there be a chain of blackholes at certain intervals to form a net gravitational pull. Thus making a huge portal across a part of the universe.

I'll assume that you mean the gravity of each black hole aligned in close enough proximity would somehow merge and form a huge gravitational "tunnel" of black holes. So, am I correct? (my first interpretation...)

That exacly. it's almost like the concept of net force when two or more forces are working together to push or pull something. The force would combine to make a unified force of one. Can this be done naturally it a set of black holes were alighned, pulling on each thus making a unified gravitational pull?

Like an Einstein-Rosen bridge?

A. Einstein and N. Rosen Physical Review 48, 73 (1935)

I thought an Einstein-Rosen bridge was a white hole and black hole end to end?

Anyway, now I'm curious about multiple gravity sources aligned. Does all their gravities add up together to make a stronger gravitational pull than if just the largest/strongest of those sources were exerting gravity by itself?

Please, just "yes" or "no", or something close that feels like a definite answer.

I know that the singularity of a black hole has infinite gravity.

No it doesn't. It has the gravitational attraction as determined by its mass, and this is exactly the same gravitational attraction that a larger object of the same mass would have. (Think Gauss' Law.)

No it doesn't. It has the gravitational attraction as determined by its mass, and this is exactly the same gravitational attraction that a larger object of the same mass would have. (Think Gauss' Law.)

[math]\lim_{r\to{0}}F_g=\lim_{r\to{0}}G\frac{{m_1}{m_2}}{r^2}=\infty[/math], no?

The gravity is only infinite, infinitely close to the centre, were talking about astronomical scales here (at least) so the gravity is that of a normal object.

I think what you are saying (if we have two, or more, black holes next to each other would their gravity add to create a larger attraction than just one?) is indeed true. But you don't require black holes for this. any two massive objects next to each other will have additive gravitational attraction. The further away you are the more similar to a single object they will appear (gravitationally), and I suspect there is something similar to the rayleigh criterion for when they merge into apparently a single object.

[math]\lim_{r\to{0}}F_g=\lim_{r\to{0}}G\frac{{m_1}{m_2}}{r^2}=\infty[/math], no?

We know that Newtonian gravity (or GR) is not a good description of physics when r becomes small. So there is no evidence, or theory, to support the notion of a singularity.

I think what you are saying (if we have two, or more, black holes next to each other would their gravity add to create a larger attraction than just one?) is indeed true. But you don't require black holes for this. any two massive objects next to each other will have additive gravitational attraction

I think deoxyribonuclei's question might've been about two black holes front-and-back rather than side-by-side.

That's what I'd like to know too. By what you've said, they're probably additive, however, I'd like confirmation.

Basically, will the gravity of the rearward black hole reach through the frontward black hole and their gravities add up? Of course the frontward black hole's gravity would be the stronger one towards objects in front of it.

Also, the way I visualize deoxyribonuclei's reference to a "portal" from net gravitational pulls is thus: imagine a vacuum cleaner hose sucking in things from your rug, which happens at the front of the hose, not at its sides. Now, imagine a line of black holes with a similar effect. At their sides, you'd have the normal gravity. But at front, you'd have a massive super black hole gravitational pull, and it wouldn't suck you into the first black hole in line, but rather into the gravitational "tunnel" formed by their alignment.

In that scenario, all the gravities have merged into one, and the warped space of each black hole have merged into one giant warping of space. In other words, the "mouth" or rim of the warped space begins at the first black hole, and stretches back past all other black holes to the last one in the succession.