reflection distance?

YT2095

I had an idea that I thought might work but didn`t and I don`t know why?

basically I wondered if I could make a sort of telescope by using a magnifying glass on the image of a distant object in a mirror, needless to say it Failed.

so I tried a macro lens on my camera and that didn`t work either, I had to use the same focus distance as the object was far, in order to get a clear image. Even though the image was only a few inches away?

can anyone explain in Simple Terms what`s going on?

Cheers :)

The image appears to be just as far away in a plane mirror, e.g. if you are looking at your own reflection and are 50 cm away from the mirror, your image will be 50 cm on the other side, not on the surface. So using plane mirrors only helps you to redirect the light.

so if it doesn`t act as the Image Originator then, can it be said that the photons aren`t absorbed and re-transmit, but just bounced off?

or is something special going on that gives the photon Distance-Traveled information ?

it`s a real pity it failed though, I can think of plenty neat applications if it had worked! :doh:

so if it doesn`t act as the Image Originator then, can it be said that the photons aren`t absorbed and re-transmit, but just bounced off?

or is something special going on that gives the photon Distance-Traveled information ?

it`s a real pity it failed though, I can think of plenty neat applications if it had worked! :doh:

Neat applications such as?

Just curious.

I wonder if there's a way that you could reflect the mirror image on to a blank screen and apply the magnifying glass to the screen instead. Basically, make the mirror more like a projector somehow... Just speculating. It's an interesting question you've asked.

so if I had a semi-mirror, a bit like the ones used on the end of some lasers and put my camera behind That, it should work?

I have some "half" mirror bits somewhere :)

no, hang on a sec, I have semi reflective coating on my Lab windows, and that doesn`t make a jot of difference, scrap that idea, I wasn`t thinking.

how about being able to examine the Moon up close with a magnifying glass, or even better a Microscope! :D

but it`ll never happen anyway, since the basic idea itself is flawed.

It is an excellent avenue of thought, regardless.

iNow's suggestion about a mirrored projection, it could lose "resolution" so that even if you magnified it, the increase of details would possibly be counteracted by fuzziness.

However YT2095, it's a novel idea and I wouldn't give up on it just yet. There's bound to be some application for it, maybe in a somewhat unexpected form. Meaning, perhaps not by reflection off everyday mirrors, but instead with a similar approach using related items or avenues of thought. It's how I find things often enough.

You got the idea, and it has intrigue, each for a reason. Who knows? Go with your gut.

Edited by Baby Astronaut

I wonder if there's a way that you could reflect the mirror image on to a blank screen and apply the magnifying glass to the screen instead. Basically, make the mirror more like a projector somehow... Just speculating. It's an interesting question you've asked.

You can do that, the mirror needs to form a real image so it has to be a concave mirror.

The odd thing is that if you take the screen out the system still works, it's the basis of the reflecting telescope, the eyepiece lens is essentially a magnifying glass.