Anybody else getting Robo-Slammed?

Pangloss

I live in West Virginia, a state obviously going for McCain for the simple reason that Obama is black and hates guns.

I didn't get any calls since yesterday, when I got two, one paid for by the RNC, and one paid for by McCain himself (I heard he sold one of his houses to make all of them calls).

Cause some people cling to their guns, and Obama mentioned that.

I thought that might be it, too.

Riogho,

Can you confirm that it was the comment above which led you to your conclusion? I'm truly curious about what led you to your conclusion on this, as I want to be sure there is not some pretty pertinent piece of information I've been missing about Obama during this entire campaign season.

No robocalls President in Texas, but I am getting slammed for every stinking local election, state election, constitutional amendment, and even congresscritters for whom I cannot vote because I don't live in a contested district.

Many of the robocalls courteously report "Political Call" on caller ID. Press the answer button once, phone stops ringing. Press it again, voice stops talking. I've gotten pretty quick on the draw.

I thought that might be it, too.

Riogho,

Can you confirm that it was the comment above which led you to your conclusion? I'm truly curious about what led you to your conclusion on this, as I want to be sure there is not some pretty pertinent piece of information I've been missing about Obama during this entire campaign season.

He's voted against hand-guns, and purchasing of firearms (more than one a month). Basically, in my state, if you cast a vote against us having as many guns as we want and shooting as many animals as possible, we arn't happy with you.

Obama has no shot in my state, there are two types of people here anyway. Racist hunters, and Evangelicals.

Picked up another dozen in the evening. Gah. Obviously I'm on some pretty bad lists.

Oh well, this just reinforces my notion to finally dump the land line.

Did you make the mistake of registering as an independant?

He's voted against hand-guns, and purchasing of firearms (more than one a month). Basically, in my state, if you cast a vote against us having as many guns as we want and shooting as many animals as possible, we arn't happy with you.

Where specifically, which bills?

I'd like to read it to understand the full context of the bill to know whether he was "voting against hand-guns," or if perhaps the bill allowed something ridiculous like fully automatic rifles and grenade launchers in Wal-mart or something (hence, making his vote of "no" the correct one in context).

I think Riogho should answer your question with a reference, but if memory serves he voted for a handgun ban as an Illinois legislator. The bill never passed. He's very arguably anti-gun, iNow, he's just balanced out by numerous moderate statements and a position in support of the recent Supreme Court decision against the D.C. ban. But I don't think there's any question he's in favor of far more stringent restrictions on handgun sale and ownership.

I believe OnTheIssues has a collection of statements and votes from him on that subject.

Picked up another dozen in the evening. Gah. Obviously I'm on some pretty bad lists.

Oh well, this just reinforces my notion to finally dump the land line.

You can keep your land line -- for a couple more years, anyhow. I suspect it will be eerily silent tomorrow.

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

The part that stands out is this one:

"Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:

Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.

Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.

Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms."

I've only been hunting once (hated it). I went squirrel hunting with a semi-automatic 22. For those of you who don't know, which isn't more powerful than a little handgun. That would be banned under what Obama supports, which is a little extreme.

Edited by Riogho

http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

The part that stands out is this one:

"Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:

Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.

Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.

Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms."

Interesting. What stands out to me is the FactCheck on attacks against him (although, I can't say that I really disagree with the points you shared in his position, despite my support for gun ownership):

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/nra_targets_obama.html

NRA Targets Obama

It falsely claims in mailers and TV ads that Obama plans to ban handguns, hunting ammo and use of a gun for home defense.

SUMMARY:

A National Rifle Association advertising campaign distorts Obama's position on gun control beyond recognition.

The NRA is circulating printed material and running TV ads making unsubstantiated claims that Obama plans to ban use of firearms for home defense, ban possession and manufacture of handguns, close 90 percent of gun shops and ban hunting ammunition.

Much of what the NRA passes off as Obama's "10 Point Plan to 'Change' the Second Amendment" is actually contrary to what he has said throughout his campaign: that he "respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms" and "will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport, and use guns."

The NRA, however, simply dismisses Obama's stated position as "rhetoric" and substitutes its own interpretation of his record as a secret "plan." Said an NRA spokesman: "We believe our facts."

Perhaps so, but believing something doesn't make it so. And we find the NRA has cherry-picked, twisted and misrepresented Obama's record to come up with a bogus "plan."

The link then goes into specifics about the misleading nature of the claims, and also our new President's actual positions. Please, do read further.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/nra_targets_obama.html

It's unfortunate more people don't look into these things BEFORE the election takes place. :D

Edited by iNow

I think that's fair. I don't think he wants to remove any freedoms from any person, but I do think he's actively seeking to achieve the most intelligent way to decrease the countless mindless deaths and massacres taking place among the youths of our higher density populations.

Would you agree with me, iNow, that Obama supports the second amendment but also supports increased control/restrictions over firearms in this country?

He's a Democrat, and Democrats hate guns and the 2nd Amendment. However, I think Biden, author of an assault weapons ban, is a much bigger threat in that regard.

And please note: none of that is sarcasm.

I think that's fair. I don't think he wants to remove any freedoms from any person, but I do think he's actively seeking to achieve the most intelligent way to decrease the countless mindless deaths and massacres taking place among the youths of our higher density populations.

Exactly.

I probably see that line in a different place than you do, but that's what I love about this new day -- we may move that line, but we're going to respect each other's opinions and reasons, and when we've finished moving it, we're both going to agree that it was the right thing to do.

Isn't that what democracy is supposed to be about?

(Yeah I know, I'm a hopeless optimist. Lol.)