Mentoring & revision

wolfson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some kind of open forum or public discussion software would be the ideal solution.

Hey' date=' maybe it could even go on the inter-network![/quote']

Hehehe..yeah, good plan.

The problem I see is that, as we often see here, many people have answers to questions that are posted, and suggestions for ways to resolve problems. But often, the answers and suggestions posted are different. So, the thread degenerates into long (and frequently irresolvable) debate. There's no problem with that. That's a part of what SFN is about, but if you stick a student in the middle who is depending on the correct answer for something, or at least some rational guidance, then it just gets messy.

I think if SFN is going to offer a mentoring service to students, then SFN will need to accept some responsibility towards those students that choose to take advantage of it. If a student leaves more confused than they arrived, or worse, holding an unjustified belief as knowledge, then who would be accountable?

I think if SFN is going to offer a mentoring service to students, then SFN will need to accept some responsibility towards those students that choose to take advantage of it. If a student leaves more confused than they arrived, or worse, holding an unjustified belief as knowledge, then who would be accountable?

I think it all boils down to the fact that it's not really feasible on the forums to a certain degree. We've got the homework help section, and I think that inevitably this is about as ideal a solution as is feasibly possible.

Perhaps some sort of test (made by someone who basically knows what they're talking about) to check the mentors know what they're talking about in a particular field of study.

I agree wholeheartedly, and also with the other comments made after your above post! :)

It would be better if all that pss this test were to be the only ones to comment (as it would just be another forum section otherwise).

I`de hazzard to say that I`de be of little no help however, as I`m not an "expert" in any particular feild.

I wouldn`t mind standing down in this area and acting as an observer, and maybe PM the mentor if I have something additional to add for their next post, I`de be more than happy to act in this way :)

I`m not sure about the "test" exactly though, our experts are GOOD! and so who would make them or score them? as you can see that could lead to problems! for example, if I was in the feild and incapable of taking care of my medical needs, I`de want Glider on my side, so who`s going to judge his results if takes a "test"?

just a few thoughts on the matter :)

Indeed. I think it is good in concept, but like sayo and glider pointed out, who is responsible for mishaps? When it is in an open forum like this, we have the opportunity to correct each other. But students are generally confused when arguments break out amongst those trying to help. I know the last thing I want when I need help is TA's arguing over who is right (its happened before).

-----

Slightly offtopic, but I was considering sort of a newsletter type Q&A for school children where they wouldn't have to be a member of the forum to ask. It could be somewhat of a collective "community service" project for us :). It wouldn't be too demanding of our time. I could set up a webpage where they can punch their question in and it would automatically create a post in a specific forum. We could pick the best answers and publish them either on a webpage or in a newsletter, or both. I think there would be a good deal of interest in it, especially among science teachers. The problem is getting the newsletter/webpage recognized. Hopefully some larger institutions already in place would help us out or something. What do you all think?

Slightly offtopic' date=' but I was considering sort of a newsletter type Q&A for school children where they wouldn't have to be a member of the forum to ask. It could be somewhat of a collective "community service" project for us :). It wouldn't be too demanding of our time. I could set up a webpage where they can punch their question in and it would automatically create a post in a specific forum. We could pick the best answers and publish them either on a webpage or in a newsletter, or both. I think there would be a good deal of interest in it, especially among science teachers. The problem is getting the newsletter/webpage recognized. Hopefully some larger institutions already in place would help us out or something. What do you all think?[/quote']

I think it's a neat idea, though I'm not really sure what would be the benefit of having the children post their questions on a separate webpage instead of directly in this forum. Would this newsletter be meant for children who are too young to register here?

that sounds like the kinda thing I KNOW would have gone down well had we had computers when I was that sort of age! Sweet Idea! :)

and one I might actualy be able to help with in the way of explaination (I can usualy word things to the most simple format).

I`de be happy to give that a shot :)

Guest gammagoat

I think this is a great idea. Being only a humble landscaper, I often find it hard to join in on topics in these forums. I,ve been reading from these forums for some time now, and only lack the education to really participate. I can see how this could benfit, not only myself but others as well. I have a interest in the sciences and would like to learn.

Slightly offtopic...

...We could pick the best answers and publish them either on a webpage or in a newsletter' date=' or both. I think there would be a good deal of interest in it, especially among science teachers. The problem is getting the newsletter/webpage recognized. Hopefully some larger institutions already in place would help us out or something. What do you all think?[/quote']

I think it's a good idea. The best answers get posted, whilst allowing the confusing "I'm right". "No you're not" stuff to happen in the background without confusing anybody. Good plan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...