Study Shows Participating in Religion May Make Adolescents Depressed

iNow

I want to be very clear that this thread is not about "religion," per se, but I found this study to be tremendously interesting.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080903134209.htm

One of the few studies to look at the effects of religious participation on the mental health of minorities suggests that for some of them, religion may actually be contributing to adolescent depression.

Previous research has shown that teens who are active in religious services are depressed less often because it provides these adolescents with social support and a sense of belonging.

But new research has found that this does not hold true for all adolescents, particularly for minorities and some females. <
>

These quotes stood out to me:

Setting all other factors aside, the results suggest that participating in religion at high levels may be detrimental to some teens because of the tensions they face in balancing the conflicting ideals and customs of their religion with those of mainstream culture.
The tension between society and religion may also help explain why females who were sexually active report higher levels of depression than do sexually active males. The disconnect between how their religion told them to act and what they chose to do may cause these females to have higher emotional distress and increased depression, he said.

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

It's interesting because as the study states "teens who are active in religious services are depressed less often because it provides these adolescents with social support and a sense of belonging". Religion fills people with a sense of hope and joy; there's a higher calling and all that happens isn't random but it's for a particular purpose.

However, I can see that for a teenager who is trying to understand themselves and find their place in the world it would be a struggle to negotiate the demands of religion and society. Depression was higher among minorities highly involved in church. As a minority they are already struggling to fit in, but their acceptance of religious beliefs and principles, which contrast those of society, set them apart even further. Those that were depressed probably had lower self-esteem because I would think that those with confidence would be better able to decide what they believe and have the ability to stand firm despite surrounding pressures. Perhaps those depressed individuals also feel that they don't fit the religious "ideal" and may think that it is too far beyond their grasp. It might also be that those who were depressed feel guilty for living as the "world" lives with the knowledge it goes against their religious beliefs.

I would agree that females possibly have more anxiety - especially if their sexually active, considering their religion may go against what they are thinking/want to do.

And then there's the guilt if they do do something - could be very stressful.

and Ecoli, I know what you mean about Heb. School, I had to go every Wednesday and Sunday... then I went to a religious HS... oye.