Bush to speak at RNC

bascule

Subjective I suppose. Maybe I could have instead said that he struggled when the screws were put to him.

He was funny about saying she would have gone too far if they introduced her during a moose hunt. :D

JS was funny when he pointed out that Obama has been runing the presidential campaign for as long as Palin has been governor, and that since she lives near the north pole she knows Santa (when discussing how her foreign policy experience comes from osmosis and being close to Russia).

Then, Gingrich admittedly made a funny reply how knowing santa would only matter if she were a liberal democrat.

Where I think he got nailed was on the abortion discussion.

I can't watch those at work, but I watched Gingrich last night - how did he get spanked?
I think Newt's cheeks got reddened a bit when Stewart pointed out that Palin was adamant that her daughter's choice to have her child was hers to make and we should all respect that... so that her party can insure that that same choice and respect will be taken away from *your* children.

From Fact Check:

* Lieberman said Obama hadn't "reached across party lines" to accomplish "anything significant," though Obama has teamed with GOP Sens. Tom Coburn and Richard Lugar to pass laws enhancing government transparency and curtailing the proliferation of nuclear and conventional weapons.

* Thompson repeated misleading claims about Obama's tax program, saying it would bring "one of the largest tax increases in American history." But as increases go, Obama's package is hardly a history-maker. It would raise taxes for families with incomes above $250,000. Most people would see a cut.

* Lieberman also accused Obama of "voting to cut off funding for our American troops on the battlefield." But Obama's only vote against a war-funding bill came after Bush vetoed a version of the bill Obama had supported – and McCain urged the veto.

I think Newt's cheeks got reddened a bit when Stewart pointed out that Palin was adamant that her daughter's choice to have her child was hers to make and we should all respect that... so that her party can insure that that same choice and respect will be taken away from *your* children.

Oh yes, yes. I remember that. Actually that was a damn good point by Stewart, I thought.

Like I said, I thought last night was one of the best episodes I've ever seen of TDS. Not only laugh out loud funny, but also very direct, biting, and awareness raising.

line[/hr]

I really wish these idiots in the crowd would stop cheering and going into chants of "USA" when McCain is talking about economic harships and troubles real people face. He's discussing solemn and powerful issues of poverty and some dumbshits are yelling out, "Yayyy!!! Wooooo!!!! USA! USA!" You can almost see the look of disappointment on McCain's own face.

I also wish the dumbasses who disagree with him would stop interrupting his speech by protesting while he talks. This is his moment. There is a time and a place for protest, and disrupting McCain's acceptance of the nomination (while he's speaking, I mean) is not it.

Edited by iNow
multiple post merged

There are lots of folks "not" against it. There are, however, also lots of folks who realize that drilling is like treating a heart attack with an ice cream cone, further delaying without good reason what has needed to be done for decades now already.

Interesting history on the Killian docs thing. Thanks. :)

There are lots of folks "not" against it. There are, however, also lots of folks who realize that drilling is like treating a heart attack with an ice cream cone, further delaying without good reason what has needed to be done for decades now already.

Interesting history on the Killian docs thing. Thanks. :)

And NOT drilling is like refusing to treat cancer. It may not be the cure, but the cure isn't available yet. This is where I think Pickens is right, that debate misses the point. We need a bridge.

Well, for our generation anyway, that would truly be a bridge to nowhere. :rolleyes:

While I am greatly against burning more fossil fuels and exasserbating the climate issues, drilling should be an option (if for nothing other than to continue manufacturing of plastics and other products that rely on petroleum).

However, this continued "Drill, Drill, Drill!" rhetoric is misleading and trapping us in the past. We should be yelling, "Invent, Invent, Invent!" as described by Thomas Friedman.

He had the full hour on Charlie Rose last night and spelled it out quite well. Here's a link for those of you who'd like to watch (video will be available soon):

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2008/09/09/1/a-conversation-with-thomas-l-friedman

The thing I like about Pickens is that he isn't really telling me what I want to hear. I want to hear that tomorrow fully electric cars will be rolling off the line for under 20 grand. I want to hear that tomorrow wind and solar will power our electrical grid to power those electric cars. I want to hear that tomorrow they will start manufacturing all plastics without oil.

But Pickens just won't tell me that. He's painting a humble picture on my dreamy desires. He's saying it's possible, but not on the scale and order I want. Kind of like space travel. We can all bitch and moan that it ought to be easy, but after several decades, we are dissappointed to find that space travel is going to be slow and incremental. It's that kind of...let down...to me.

I think Pickens is giving me the realistic plan. It doesn't match the specs of my will and what I thought was possible, and seems more realistic because of it. Drill, Drill, Drill is what's being debated today - not alternative fuels. Nobody is debating alternative fuels - well maybe a few are still kicking it around, but the american public is done with the debate, I think. We want alternatives and the market has been given its nod and it's going to happen, regardless.

And the sooner we get past this Drill Now initiative, the sooner we can resume exploring the alternative market. We need to be able to explore that market without an immediate "deadline". The infrastructure requirements and capital, technology, research and development all need to be thoughtful, not rushed. Like single women like to say, they're looking for Mr Right, not Mr Right iNow. ;)

Like single women like to say, they're looking for Mr Right, not Mr Right iNow. ;)

Yeah, I know. I have to admit that I'm really starting to feel bad that it's only been the married women saying that they want me. :D

Btw - The Friedman interview with Rose is up now:

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2008/09/09/1/a-conversation-with-thomas-l-friedman