The Genius of Charles Darwin

MedGen

Anyone else catch this last night? For UK members its available from 4OD, for our overseas members then it may be available through Youtube pretty soon.

I was a little disappointed to see that creationism is still so rife in our country, but overall it was nice to see that it might get a few people to really re-consider what they know about evolution.

Parts 2 and 3 are shown over the next two weeks on channel 4.

Well, I don't know how it is in the UK, but hopefully (not to offend anyone) there is more of an evolution belief than here in north america. Doing a quick google search, I found this website . According to it, a 2006 CBS poll showed that a whopping 55% of the US holds the creationist view over believing in evolution. Amazing.

And actually, during the early summer of this year, when I went to Toronto, Canada to see my girlfriend, we went to the ROM to see a Charles Darwin exhibit. I was told that we were kind of lucky, because they almost didn't hold the exhibit for lack of funding because nobody wanted to fund something to do with evolution. Until, luckily at last moment, the united church, out of anyone, helped to fund it.

Edited by iPeppers
Forgot to add something.

Mmm flat earth makes me think of pizza and other pies. Maybe I should eat something?

I think flat-earthers should all be given a discount on tickets for spaceship two (?). Or whatever the new ship for space tourism will be when people finally start going up there.

Yeah I watched too, it was good, you can always rely on Richard Dawkins to do a good programme. I noticed later on C4 that they advertised a programme that is going to take a group of non Christians and try and convert them, whats the point in that, just leave them alone!:eek:

Thank you, MedGen! :D

I couldn't keep something like this all to myself, that would just be selfish!

Any thoughts, aside from the possible remarks about creationist children? Personally I was hoping for a little more historical context, I don't know a massive amount about Darwin himself, except for his penchant for worms and pigeons perhaps.

I would have like to see a little more emphasis on the molecular evidence for evolution too, after all, even without fossils that alone would establish evolution as a fact. Still two more episodes to go, so there's still hope.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think part of the problem when producing a series like this is balancing the need to appeal to a larger (generally unscientific) audience while simultaneously keeping the presented information crisp and accurate, while satisfying the insatiable need for dorkdom of we scientists.

We'll see what comes from the next two episodes (hopefully google vid will have those, too), and if he sates your desire. To be frank, though, I'm pretty sure it's not hard core evolutionary biologists and well-studied scientists he's trying to reach with this, so it's likely to be more of a "children's book" than a "doctoral thesis."

Oh I know, I'm glad it was even mentioned to be honest, its often overlooked completely, maybe he'll introduce it a little more in episode 2 which is about human evolution. That should bring the creationists out of the woodwork a little more.