Telekinesis Fire Question

ParanoiA

Did you get into grandpa's green hand rolled cigarettes again? :D

Flame is more than atoms vibrating. Where would the point of ignition (the spark) come from? Maybe you could smack to pieces of metal together with your mind?

This is so far out for you... it's like out of left field. I love it! :cool:

This is so far out for you... it's like out of left field. I love it!

Glad you're enjoying it.

Of course, you could telekinetically reassemble the atoms of the wood into the atoms of a match and then just light that.

BUT, wouldn't that take a more intimate knowledge of atomic and molecular structure to construct the resemblance rather than just jiggle the damn things?

I'm more concerned about flame now. How do we get instantaneous flame? (without shapeshifting wood into a flamethrower, please)

I think I like this section.

Edited by ParanoiA
bad spelling

BUT, wouldn't [reassembling the wood into a working match] take a more intimate knowledge of atomic and molecular structure to construct the resemblence rather than just jiggle the damn things?

So, you're taking psychokinesis as a given, but now you're worried about knowing how to molecularly organize a board into a match? Hmmm...

Doesn't matter though. You don't need a match, as pointed out by Cap'n.

I'm more concerned about flame now. How do we get instantaneous flame? (without shapeshifting wood into a flamethrower, please)

I propose you look up activation energy. :D Basically, it's a threshold where once you've input enough energy into the system (in this case, the vibrations you're generating with your mind and the thermal response of the atoms bouncing and hitting), a chemical reaction can occur. Here, that chemical reaction could very easily be combustion.

Found this link on a quick google:

http://pslc.ws/fire/howwhy/howtri.htm

So, you're taking psychokinesis as a given, but now you're worried about knowing how to molecularly organize a board into a match? Hmmm...

Doesn't matter though. You don't need a match, as pointed out by Cap'n.

Well, I'm just thinking I don't want to spend a bunch of time reading biology books to figure out how to organize the various molecules into a match, that would be a lot of work. I'd rather just jiggle the little bastards no matter how they're organized.

And yes, I think I'm actually talking about psychokinesis, sounds cooler too.

I propose you look up activation energy. :D Basically, it's a threshold where once you've input enough energy into the system (in this case, the vibrations you're generating with your mind and the thermal response of the atoms bouncing and hitting), a chemical reaction can occur. Here, that chemical reaction could very easily be combustion.

Hells yeah! If my mentally powered friction trick is super duper intense I'll bet I can get an instant flame. That's pretty much what I needed.

On to phase II...

Hells yeah! If my mentally powered friction trick is super duper intense I'll bet I can get an instant flame. That's pretty much what I needed.

On to phase II...

Lol. The plot thickens. We wait with baited breath and luscious anticipation.

• 1 year later...

Aliens that I made up are able to control fire (some) with the assistance of nanites. How I picture it is controlling fire is done via heat manipulation. Everything has a point where it will burn or melt. For a telekinetic to change the heat, you could move the molecules really fast. You would need the rights conditions though. Fire needs three things to maintain itself: heat, oxygen, and a fuel source. They way my fire controllers do it is controlling the flow of heat and making the object the right temp to catch on fire. Though this makes them vulnerable in very cold places. However, this is all guess work. We really can't control fire with our minds.

I was thinking about this a little more. I don't think the molecule vibrations would create fire, but just change phase (solid, liquid, gas, plasma). Plasma is very hot so it could be used to create fire. @Moontanman, thanks, I guess; I suppose it's a good thing...:confused: Anyway, others of the aliens I mentioned can control light, electricity, sound, water, lava, acid (not the same as you know; just a fictional lime-green, corrosive substance), and metal. If you think about it the most logical power is sound. To control sound waves, you just have to make different pitched sound waves that could control the originals (can cancel the waves out) or just alter the volume controls on your tv or radio or computer speakers.:D

If you vibrate or rotate molecules you increase their temperature. Light at the infrared wavelengths tends to do vibrations, and longer wavelengths like microwaves tend to do rotation. Both will heat molecules quite nicely. Inducing electric currents will also increase heat, but that would be difficult to do on non-conducting materials. Sound can produce heat, but it is rather inefficient as it will travel through substances. More careful crafting of sound can lead to compressions in a place, which will increase temperature at least temporarily. A more interesting thing to do with sound is to make a sound at something's resonant frequency, which can shatter it.

So, if I'm telekinetic could I not cause instant flame by violently vibrating the atoms and molecules of a spot on a 2 x 4?

There's money on this... ;)

Yes, if you vibrate atoms (same as heating) the substabce will burst into flames. You can take a hot iron and place it on a board, the board will burst into flames.