iTunes

ydoaPs

I recently got a new laptop. Is there any way to get all my music from iTunes on my old laptop to my new laptop, or am I out of luck? You'd think there would at least be a record of what you purchased from apple.

I recently got a new laptop. Is there any way to get all my music from iTunes on my old laptop to my new laptop, or am I out of luck? You'd think there would at least be a record of what you purchased from apple.

IIRC, Apple know what has been downloaded to your client. If you remember, you can authorise music purchased through iTunes for "five computers or(?) burned discs".

You MUST remember to deauthorise the old computer through the iTunes menu, otherwise that laptop will still count towards your five. The first time you try to play a track which you bought through the store with iTunes on your new laptop, you will be prompted to authorise the music by entering your iTunes password.

The latest version of their DRM (Fairplay?) lets you upload purchased music through your iPod. But only things purchased after version 2.0, AFAIK, and on authorized computers.

Anyway, when I've done this it's been on a Mac, but once it was an ethernet cable and the other was firewire with one computer in target disc mode (mounting the second computer as a firewire drive)

If you do ethernet on a Windows machine you'll probably need a crossover cable or a hub. (Macs can do a direct connection). Remember to set the IP addresses to be different.

Incidentally, Amazon's DRM-free selection is really huge now, and they're 256-bit variable bit rate MP3s, so they sound great too. A lot of iTunes users these days do a quick search on Amazon before smacking the buy button in case the price is lower, especially for the whole album.

Also Rhapsody just launched a new DRM-free service, and if you sign up by July 4th you can get a free album.

I'm still a big believer in DRM'd subscription downloads, by the way. I didn't have to pay for every song, but the typical iTunes song owner has to authorize just like me, so what did they get for all that extra money anyway? If you're going to pay for every single song, you might as well get it DRM-free.

iTunes? Pah!

Use Windows Media Player, it's much easier, and less picky than iTunes.

Doesn't really help me with my MacBook Pro. :P

I tried using my iPod as a flash drive, but my other computer wouldn't recognize it. I found the library on the computer's files(both of them, actually), though. I'll try getting a cheap thumb drive.

2 ethernet cables and a router. Or, since it's a laptop, you don't even need that. You can set up an ad hoc network, and have them connect to each other wirelessly.

Don't need it for a mac. One ethernet cable, direct. Just make sure the IP addresses are different. Macs have a crossover switch that automatically detects if it's a direct connection.