Sunrise Times In Southern California

JyBrd

Why is the sun rising so early this year (5:42am)? It's also setting earlier this year than the previous few years (8:02PM), the last few years it was setting at around 8:45PM during the summer. Anyone else happen to notice this?

No, the sunset was not the same time a year ago. The sun was setting around 8:45pm last year. I know, I was there. I don't need to look it up, I can remember it.

Then I suggest that you either get your watch or memory checked, because one of them is wrong.(assuming that you are seeing the sunrises/sunsets from the same latitude each year.)

Then I suggest that you either get your watch or memory checked, because one of them is wrong.(assuming that you are seeing the sunrises/sunsets from the same latitude each year.)

Or longitude. Time zones are nominally an hour wide, and sunrise/set times vary accordingly.

I suppose you're going to tell me that the sun was also rising at 5:40am in the middle of summer last year too. >:D

Yep. In the LA area, sunrise was at 5:45 AM, sunset will be at 8:09 PM (all PDT)

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

(use ~ 34N, ~116W if you want to "move around" the area)

Move up to San Francisco, and sunset's ~ half an hour later

Well I guess I'll have to get back to you next year and see if the sunrise will be at the same time or if it goes back to where it was every year prior to this one 6:55am. Oh wait, I forgot you fugazzi's don't have a memory you can rely on, you'll have to look it up and see what time the Internet says the sun was rising this year. :doh:

Well I guess I'll have to get back to you next year and see if the sunrise will be at the same time or if it goes back to where it was every year prior to this one 6:55am. Oh wait, I forgot you fugazzi's don't have a memory you can rely on, you'll have to look it up and see what time the Internet says the sun was rising this year. :doh:

I would suggest that you don't have a memory you can rely on, either. Also, did you read the definitions of sunrise, sunset and twilight? Sunset isn't when it gets dark.

I see several possibilities:

1) "The Internet" is deliberately misinterpreting the data NOAA has collected,

2) another government agency (*cough* DARPA *cough*) is experimenting on Southern Californians by manipulating their perception of daylight hours to get them to party less,

3) TV "reality shows" have made the memories of everyone NOT in Southern California unreliable and sketchy (*cough* Hollywood *cough*),

4) JyBrd has penetrated the Matrix.

I'm also working on a hypothesis involving trolls but it's not ready for review just yet.

I'm also working on a hypothesis involving trolls but it's not ready for review just yet.

One type of Tolkein's trolls will turn to stone upon exposure to sunlight. Hence, sunrise and sunset are very important for them.

I see several possibilities:

1) "The Internet" is deliberately misinterpreting the data NOAA has collected,

2) another government agency (*cough* DARPA *cough*) is experimenting on Southern Californians by manipulating their perception of daylight hours to get them to party less,

3) TV "reality shows" have made the memories of everyone NOT in Southern California unreliable and sketchy (*cough* Hollywood *cough*),

4) JyBrd has penetrated the Matrix.

It's probably not collected data, though, it's calculated from known orbital parameters. But there's a whole army of planet X believers who think the government timekeepers are manipulating the clocks to cover up the changes in the earth's orbit and rotation (not that this post is part of that) because they just know that the moon was somewhere else, in a very different orbit, and sunrise/set times have changes too much. So I would have to be part of that conspiracy. Mwuhahahahaha!

Hillary recalling ducking sniper fire should tell you what you need to know about how the mind reshapes memories, and how unreliable they are.

It's probably not collected data, though, it's calculated from known orbital parameters.
Calculated by experts, collected and misinterpreted by "the Internet". Don't cloud the issue, you big fugazzi.
But there's a whole army of planet X believers who think the government timekeepers are manipulating the clocks to cover up the changes in the earth's orbit and rotation (not that this post is part of that) because they just know that the moon was somewhere else, in a very different orbit, and sunrise/set times have changes too much. So I would have to be part of that conspiracy. Mwuhahahahaha!
Fortunately for you, a physicist working with atomic clocks who's Inbox must be chokingly rampant with communiqués from said believers, basic inexpensive spam filters usually snag anything labeled "X". ;)

Hillary recalling ducking sniper fire should tell you what you need to know about how the mind reshapes memories, and how unreliable they are.
Perhaps, but you and JyBrd seem to think the rest of us have some sort of problem retaining any kind... any kind of... um, what were we talking about? :confused:

Perhaps, but you and JyBrd seem to think the rest of us have some sort of problem retaining any kind... any kind of... um, what were we talking about? :confused:

Was it Spain beating Germany in Euro2008?

JyBrd, if you don't trust us, and don't trust the 'net, go to your local library and get a local newspaper from a year ago.