Rare, Unique Science

LawLord

Hi folks. I'm a first year Law student (18 years old)with a basic high school background in Science. Over time, science has begun to interest me more and more. I'm also interested in things that are rather rare.

I was curious as to whether anyone here has come across scientific areas or sub catagories that recieve very little attention. Perhaps a discovery made twenty years ago most have forgotton (concidering how quickly new knowledge is added to the mix).

I can't help thinking that somewhere out there in the darkest corner of the Library, hidden in a book that hasn't been opened in 50 years, is a scientific discovery that would help answer some of todays questions...

I want to write a book (not to big), the book would look into various parts of (hopefully valuable or interesting) scientific knowledge (and math).

I want knowledge that is close to extinction.

Was wondering if people could recall ever reading something facinating, or know of a particular field of science that recieves little attention that I could research and write about in my "Unique" book.

I had thought about having a chapter on discoveries made in Alchemy (that actually work). The problem with this is that when I read articles, I don't know if they are scientifically based or belief based... The Alchemist did make some interesting discoveries though.. the problem is: figuring out what is a discovery and what is "magic", so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

PS: http://www.cpe.fr/ectn-assoc/archives/lib/2006/N04/200610_RareKnowlegeFR.pdf

Kinda objective I have (but all fields of Science).

Edited by LawLord

Sorry if this isn't exactly what you had in mind, but I think a more timely issue would be patent law, and the suppression of science technology through patents. Like the fact that we don't have fully electric cars today because the patent on large format NiMH batteries is held by Cobasys, a subsidiary of Chevron. Cobasys only sells the technology to companies making hybrid cars that still use gasoline.

The patent office was meant to protect inventors, not allow a company to purchase rights to an idea in order to stifle it because it would hurt their current market. If Hoover would have bought Dyson's patented technology when they had the chance, we'd still be paying millions every year on vacuum cleaner bags instead of enjoying the bagless revolution Dyson created and the rest of the industry leaped to compete with.

That's what I'd like to see a bright young legal eagle take on. A free market needs competition, not suppression.

Perhaps a more timely issue would be human rights law... or constitutional law... or family law reform... in the time I have to relax I would like to learn about Science.

It is difficuilt to tell on forums exactly how you are conveying your message (rudely, politely, cheerfully, jokingly, etc etc).

If you are offended that I am a law student, I apologise.

I am also an Economics student. I personally do not like the idea of free markets... or competition... they are products of capitalism which I personally do not like.

Quite simply, the world has finite resources. Capitalism encourages the idea that for some reason, some of us have more of a right to these resources then others.

Capitalism treats things like shelter and food as something we need to pay for... Some people (both past and present) managed to build their own homes using wood from nearby trees and a few tools. They fed themselves without needing money (grew fruit and vegetables).

People in this world starve today because someone else is "capitalizing" away all their finate resources.

Rich countries buy up all the food in poor countries. Poor people do not have the same buying power as the rich foreigners and can't compete.

Personally, I think the problems flow from capitalism itself. Something the PEOPLE have to change.

There are heaps of alternatives to capitalism. Ones that still encourage innovation and new technologies... just not competition.

I would hope that people do still give me some ideas for my orginal topic.

There are lots of areas like this, one I know of is liquid flow through elastic thin tubes, one of my friends was doing a research area on it, and an academic who was examining him just said "oh yes, you know all of this was done 30 years ago?" I can't remember the name of the guy who wrote the papers though, and at the time (about 2 years ago) none of the papers where available online :|

Oh there was also a case a few years ago of a new black hole theory that was ignored for decades because the guy who wrote it only ever published in french so no one really read it... I *think* this is the new scientist article about it:

http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18524836.500

It is difficuilt to tell on forums exactly how you are conveying your message (rudely, politely, cheerfully, jokingly, etc etc).
You conveyed your message quite well. I realized that my suggestion was not exactly what you had in mind. I believe I used words to that effect.

If my passion for the subject came off as rude, then it is I who apologize. :embarass:

If you are offended that I am a law student, I apologise.
Offended? I'm not sure where I conveyed that. I actually admire you for graduating college and starting law school by the age of 18. I don't accept your apology.

I am also an Economics student. I personally do not like the idea of free markets... or competition... they are products of capitalism which I personally do not like.

Quite simply, the world has finite resources. Capitalism encourages the idea that for some reason, some of us have more of a right to these resources then others.

Capitalism treats things like shelter and food as something we need to pay for... Some people (both past and present) managed to build their own homes using wood from nearby trees and a few tools. They fed themselves without needing money (grew fruit and vegetables).

People in this world starve today because someone else is "capitalizing" away all their finate resources.

Rich countries buy up all the food in poor countries. Poor people do not have the same buying power as the rich foreigners and can't compete.

Personally, I think the problems flow from capitalism itself. Something the PEOPLE have to change.

There are heaps of alternatives to capitalism. Ones that still encourage innovation and new technologies... just not competition.

OK.

I would hope that people do still give me some ideas for my orginal topic.
I hope that as well.

@Klaynos, thanks for the info, i'll look into it.

@Phi for All, I notice from your profile that you are American.

I am from New Zealand, I just checked with my American flatmate and he has confirmed that when you say college, you are referring to undergraduate University. College here is the same as high school.

I understand in America, Law school is postgraduate. In New Zealand a Law degree is done at an undergraduate level.

Therefore, getting into Law School in New Zealand at age 18 isn't quite as impressive as it would be if I was in America.

I see that you are quite passionate about the Issue with patents.

I also have rather alot of on the side interests, e.g. curruption in the Pharmacutical Industry, Oil Industry (Peak Oil anyone?), Arms Industry.

The problem with industries is that they have to make profit... it is more important than improving society or saving lives...

What I find perhaps the most interesting, is the number of unconstitutional laws that have been passed in America that very little Americans seem to take notice of... Patriot Act 1, Patriot Act 2, Victory Act 1, 2, Military Justice Act... the list goes on. I would encourage you to look up these acts and have a read of them. I have only looked through Patriot Act 1 and 2 myself but from what I hear, the other ones are just as bad... The courts have shown little inclination to strike them down so far...