What the 'Latest reputation received' ?

aommaster

if someone loses or gains points, do they see the comment?

hehe, nm.

i just checked my User CP and found a comment under "Latest Reputation Recieved".

i didn't understand exactly what people were talking about until now...

It would be nice if you could vary the weight of feedback you give. Some posts are good but not great, and some are bad but not terrible. But if the system assigns the same point value for any recommendation (from a given user), you can't make that distinction.

yeah, it can have disasterous effects! Especially if someone like swansont disagrees with someone. HE HAS THREE GREEN DOTS!!! It would probably take out all the points a person has!

That was part of my concern. I don't have the ability to nudge someone either way - it would be a shove. But it should be more than just disagreeing. I'm not about to ding somebody for having a different opinion or for an argument about semantics. It's going to have to be for bad science.

And it's two dots at the moment. Somebody didn't like one of my answers.

well, the higher the number of dots, the more effective u r, and the higher u stand. Its like a general scale.

e.g.

1 dot = from 1 point to 100 points

2 dots= 101 points to 200 points

etc.

it just shows u where u lie!

Can I just point out that the reputation system is not a popularity contest.

You are supposed to be posting comments that tell the user in question where their strengths and defficiencies lie. The points provide an incentive to take notice, and also let other users gauge how 'authoritative' people are as a source.

If people keep posting useless comments that don't tell us anything, post no comments at all, or use the reputation system as a bashing stick for people they don't 'like', then it's not going to work.

You are supposed to be posting comments that tell the user in question where their strengths and defficiencies lie. The points provide an incentive to take notice' date=' and also let other users gauge how 'authoritative' people are as a source.

[/quote']

the comment box when adding a point should be compulsary. getting or NOT getting points is useless as a tool if you don`t know why you`ve gotten them.

I wonder if there`s VB option to set that?