Who lives out of 'English Speaker' countries?

Ladeira

Hey...

Is there someone who lives in any country which does not speak English?

I'm thinking of applying for a scholarship in U.S. or UK.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil o/\o

I'm wanting to be an undergraduate student in some good university abroad to expand my knowledge and life experience :rolleyes:

Tennessee.

By the way, we don't speak English in Texas (TX) either. :D

Good luck in your search. :)

Boa sorte na sua pesquisa.

or...

Buena suerte en su búsqueda.

I feel embarrassed :doh:

Here in Brazil, the research centers are some hypocritical and there's no financial support from the government... brazilian government is such ridiculous.

And the professionals are valued by diplomas, certificates and degrees... I mean, an undergraduate and graduate degrees are good points.. but if someone is a great professional, does he really need to speak English perfectly to get a Master's degree if he's taking it in Brazil?

And people with no Master's Degree (in Brazil) has no chance to make a research or have own work really valued.

Muito obrigado, or muy gracias!

Thanks,

Antonio.

I think the answer to your questions (does one really need to speak English even if they are studying in Brazil) really depends on where you want to work. If you want to work in London or the US, then yes. If you want to work for a US company in Brazil, then yes. However, if you want to work at a company in Brazil that is only in Brazil, then no.

It depends on where you want to work. However, I must say, one who speaks more than one language (English included) is probably going to have better chances available to them then one who does not (all other factors being equal). :)

However, if you want to work at a company in Brazil that is only in Brazil, then no.

that's it!

it happens in Brazil, there are lots of good companies (which use a selection proccess based on tests and where the professional will never have contact with EN speaker... sometimes, in written, but there are translators) that have an English Language Exam... and it's often an elimination round, it happens more frequently in Major degrees (no English no Major);

And then it reminds me of poor Einstein who flunked lots of times in Idioms hahaha

And the worst is that in government research center and schools, Major and Graduate Degrees means a BIG raise in the salary, and as people are not so nice as we'd want them to be, in those researchs, they usually block the opportunities of each other to get a degree...

it happens in Brazil, there are lots of good companies (which use a selection proccess based on tests and where the professional will never have contact with EN speaker... sometimes, in written, but there are translators) that have an English Language Exam... and it's often an elimination round, it happens more frequently in Major degrees (no English no Major);

Well, it sounds like you have your answer then. :)

By the way, i'd like to know how are the research centers in other contries...

Have you all a good view about BR?

It has bad bad problems, but it's a good country and the nature here is beautiful :)

By the way, i'd like to know how are the research centers in other contries...

Have you all a good view about BR?

It has bad bad problems, but it's a good country and the nature here is beautiful :)

I read about Lula and Miguel Nicolelis's initiative to build science centers through the country for research and education and what-not in the Scientific American. That sounded pretty neat.

I read about Lula and Miguel Nicolelis's initiative to build science centers through the country for research and education and what-not in the Scientific American. That sounded pretty neat.

Miguel Nicolelis is a good inspiration. I have read some reports about him. He is really trying to change the way things work in Brazil, specially about research centers, he created a neuroscience research center in Natal (a Brazilian city).

He is making a connection between BR and US, and his ideas are incredible, he is absolutely innovating neuroscience area. I hope the president agree and things work well.

I also love language... I'm fascinated for English language, next year I'll receive the certificate of 'learned English' haha.

I'm thinking of preparing myself to the TOEFL exam. It's going to be useful for me.

The next step will be French, Italian or German.