hotmail log on

ecoli

Whenever I log onto my hotmail email account, my password never works the first time, but always does the second time. I type it in letter by letter to make sure I don't make mistakes, but it still never works the first time. This has been going on too long and on every computer I've tried.

Is this some sort of weird hotmail thing, or am I in the twilight zone?

I don't use hotmail, so I don't know, but I'd be curious to see if anything changed if, before you typed your password, you clicked in the entry cell and hit backspace or delete.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is some sort of wierd hidden character sitting in the password entry cell, and thought perhaps hitting delete/backspace might clear it and resolve the problem.

This is PURE speculation. It could have nothing to do with hidden characters, and is likely pretty widespread if IA gets the same thing.

This only happens with the browser client. I also use pidgin to log onto MSN messenger, and that usually works fine.

The reason why I don't think its a hidden character, is because it happens on every computer and every browser (FF, IE and safari, at least).

The only thing I can think of, is that its a weird security feature to discourage people who think they know your password?

• 3 weeks later...

I used hotmail a while ago, and that's actually why I stopped.

Now I use google mail, much better, IMHO.

It's most likely a problem that they have, you should email them about it,

as it seems you're not the only one with that problem.

That's understandable.

I'm not entirely sure if Google mail still does this, but you used to need an invitation to get an account, so if you need one I can send an invitation that you can hold on to until you graduate.

Once again, I'm not really sure if that's still necessary.

That's understandable.

I'm not entirely sure if Google mail still does this, but you used to need an invitation to get an account, so if you need one I can send an invitation that you can hold on to until you graduate.

Once again, I'm not really sure if that's still necessary.

Gmail moved out of that invite only thing a while ago. I have several gmail accounts, mostly for throwaway and sites I know will give me junkmail, as well as to share documents I know the general public will see, and for contact information for bands that I'm in.