General Discussion

Royston

As a physics student I like to strip things down to their bare fundamentals, so I thought why not have a discussion, that's fundamentally general.

So, how is everyone today...good, bad, indifferent ?

Anything exciting planned for the weekend, anything amusing happend recently, any general stuff that's on your mind ?

EDIT: As a side note, Aeternus...if you're reading this, as a general rule I get completely and utterly shafted after finishing an assignment, so I can't remember what I was saying to you last night, so, apologies if it was anything untoward. :confused:

EDIT II: I'm not entirely sure if this thread has a topic or not, I think it does, but if the mods don't agree, then I apologize, and I won't do it again.

Indifferent.

So what you're saying is you want the random crap we normally talk about in IRC to be slower and on the forums! :P

Well I had a dream last night where my friend with a broken ankle phoned me and I couldn't understand a word he said so just insulted him and hung up... I say dream because I'm sure I've not spoken to him within the last 24 hours but that could have been a real event....

Other than that I'm trying to write an essay on the physical limitations of Moore's Law for monday, and have lots of tutorial work that I should have been doing for the last 6 weeks but just not had the time... So that's most of my plan for the weekend...

EDIT: As a side note, Aeternus...if you're reading this, as a general rule I get completely and utterly shafted after finishing an assignment, so I can't remember what I was saying to you last night, so, apologies if it was anything untoward. :confused:

I thought we'd discussed this, no coming onto my IRCops!

Indifferent.

I'm good, but a bit rough round the edges, due to having an argument with Mr. Jack Daniels last night.

Other than that I'm trying to write an essay on the physical limitations of Moore's Law for monday, and have lots of tutorial work that I should have been doing for the last 6 weeks but just not had the time... So that's most of my plan for the weekend...

I'm having a quiet night in tonight, so will probably be on IRC. But I'm thinking of making a start on my next assignment at the weekend. I've whizzed through most of this module, because it's classical physics of matter, so stat mechanics, thermodynamics et.c all topics I'm pretty familiar with.

I thought we'd discussed this, no coming onto my IRCops!

Cops, that rings a bell...something about the police force, hmm, it's fuzzy

In general I'm doing well. Vacation and the beach are a week away so it's tough to concentrate. Too many reports are getting interrupted when I think of something else to pack.

I found a great site that sold me prescription swimming goggles for just $24 and they shipped them the next day. Now I won't have to wear contacts while swimming. I'll be testing them at a pool this weekend and I'll let you know how they fare underwater.

Does anyone else do the tanning bed thing? I wanted to get a few sessions in so I don't burn so badly on vacation. I could never do it on a regular basis. Something about laying there with those welder's goggles on while I slowly cook reminds me of summer barbeques, and not in a good way. Maybe I should try a different a different company but I had these coupons for Chernobyl Tan....

I found a great site that sold me prescription swimming goggles for just $24 and they shipped them the next day. Now I won't have to wear contacts while swimming. I'll be testing them at a pool this weekend and I'll let you know how they fare underwater.

I must admit, I never realized they existed, prescription goggles that is, not swimming pools. I guess, as I don't wear glasses, I didn't really think about it.

Does anyone else do the tanning bed thing?

Oh God no, although you're reason certainly seems sensible, I could never understand why people think that looking bright orange is a good look...but I guess that's due to overuse. If you come from a reasonably cold country, and even more so if you live in Alaska for example, walking around with a tan does look a bit daft, and I'd be struggling not to remark to said tanned person, that they look a bit of a tit, to be quite honest.

I am totally frustrated as I have spend a few days "chasing minus signs". I got a good idea and just can't seem to get it quite right. But I think I know why... the two conventions of differential forms on a supermanifold is causing me troubles. I have been using the one least suitable for my idea. The good thing now is that I now have a plan for Monday-> change conventions.

the two conventions of differential forms on a supermanifold is causing me troubles. I have been using the one least suitable for my idea. The good thing now is that I now have a plan for Monday-> change conventions.
You're lucky you can change. In May I have to attend both the AIA and the SDA conventions simultaneously! At least they're in the same building.

As well as the fact my net connection is a bit borked and wont really work...
You have to stop trying to jump over it when you win. Maybe tennis isn't your game, Klaynos.