Well, this is odd...

Donut.Hole

...some folks feel the need to gussy up everything they write. I'm not sure if they're not confident in their choice of words and want to embellish...

Dear SFN:

I want to delete my profile. I would have already done so if I knew how. There seems to be no button of "Delete profile" or so in the "Edit" options (none I could notice, anyway).

This attitude of CENSORSHIP even as regards the FONTS I use seems IRREASONABLE and HUMILIATING. Not to mention that it is reminscent of a weird MILITARY DISCIPLINE. Reminiscent even of some totalitarian states where all people had to dress in the same uniform. I only used that font because I find it more attractive, and that brought forth even speculation regardng my "insecurity" about what I write. Isn't that reminiscent of countries where any off - mainstream behavior is connected with mental or emotional problems?

I am a member in many fora and nowhere before have I met with a similar situation.

Altogether I cannot stay and write under such circumstances.

So please delete my profile for me, or let me know how to do it.

Thanks, Obelix

You aren't allowed to shout in the library, either. Doesn't make it censorship.

Nobody is forcing you to visit here. Nobody has encouraged you to leave, either, just insisted that you be polite.

As for me, when something is written I pay attention to the meaning - not the font!
Then please pay attention to this: You are OVERREACTING. No one censored anything of yours, and I only commented when you asked for opinions.

I even made it clear I wasn't talking about you, but about those in general who tend to color or supersize their fonts. I mentioned it took a bit of time to get used to and therefore might not be a good idea. You obviously are easily humiliated and for that I am sorry.

Do what you need to do but know that your misplaced anger serves you just as well as your urge to make your posts look different. Both are worthless in the pursuit of knowledge.

I have a question/thought experiment:

According to relativity the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. This got me to thinking about virtual photon exchanges between electrons.

If I was watching the exchange of a virtual photon between two electrons would the virtual photon move at the same velocity if the exchange was taking place on a spaceship passing me at say 0.8c?

Also, if the exchange of the virtual photon was alligned with the direction the spaceship is travelling would the virtual photon's energy appear to be reduced as from my frame of reference the distance the virtual photon has to travel is greatly increased?

I have a question/thought experiment:

According to relativity the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. This got me to thinking about virtual photon exchanges between electrons.

If I was watching the exchange of a virtual photon between two electrons would the virtual photon move at the same velocity if the exchange was taking place on a spaceship passing me at say 0.8c?

Also, if the exchange of the virtual photon was alligned with the direction the spaceship is travelling would the virtual photon's energy appear to be reduced as from my frame of reference the distance the virtual photon has to travel is greatly increased?

Yes the photons speed would still be the same on the spaceship, or measured on the spaceship.

Yes the photons energy will appear to have changed, this is due to the relativistic doppler effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect

Cool animation. I could really picture that in my mind as if I was on that little blue spaceship. :)

OK, now my question.

The two electrons are a distance, d, apart at rest in my reference frame. A virtual photon will take time, t, to travel the distance between them.

When the electrons are moving at 0.8c relative to me, the distance, d', the virtual photon has to travel is far greater in my reference frame and, as you say above, the virtual photon's wavelength, and thus its energy, is dilated.

If I had two electrons at rest in my reference frame at distance d' apart would QM allow a virtual photon exchange between them, and if so, would the virtual photon have the same energy as the virtual photon moving between the two moving electrons above?