Electrolysis of Water

neo007

• 4 months later...

well, you probably used sodium chloride as electrolyde to made water a conductor. So, when you electrolyse the water, sodium ions comes together with the two electrolites, paper clips for example. The actual substance which turns the water yellow is cloride ions.

does anyone know why the water turn green when i do electrolysis with sodium chloride solution? is it chlorine? by the way whats produced when i do electrolysis to sodium chloride solution? i know one is hydrogen gas, but whats the other?

• 1 month later...

As I understand, the chemical equation of electrolysis is:

2 H2O -> O2 + 2 H2

and 4 OH- -> O2 + 2 H2O + 4e- at the anode.

My question is, are the 4 electrons taken back up by the anode or do they float freely? Is heat created by the reaction?

well, you probably used sodium chloride as electrolyde to made water a conductor. So, when you electrolyse the water, sodium ions comes together with the two electrolites, paper clips for example. The actual substance which turns the water yellow is cloride ions.

Halogen ions are 100% completely colorless. They do not, and cannot, produce any color. So I think you mean aqueous elemental chlorine. ;):D

When you electrolyze a solution of NaCl, you produce sodium hydroxide, hydrogen gas, chlorine gas, and teency, tiny amount of oxygen gas.