Laptop Heat

Donut.Hole

Lately, I've been having trouble with the age old problem: laptop heat. After long periods of operation, it can get pretty toasty there, and my Dell either slows down to a snail's pace or shuts itself off.

Anyone have any solutions? Homemade cooling solutions? Maybe it's time to get a new one?

Thx:D

Great suggestions already. The cooling docks are nice, but in your case, I don't think it would be addressing the real problem.

If cleaning doesn't help, make sure the cooling unit, a heatsink + fan has good contact with the processor. You may need to apply some more thermal paste as well. Sometimes if you drop the laptop, this unit can get knocked loose. Even a tiny bump is sometimes enough to cause serious cooling issues.

Doing this involves taking the computer almost completely apart, so if you don't feel comfortable doing this, find a friend (or professional) to help you.

But like I said, try dusting the insides first. Especially around the heatsink and fan.

• 2 weeks later...
FROZEN NITROGEN!

Nah, that's probably a bad idea, but the idea about putting it on solid surfaces isn't working?

No. Solid surfaces give more clearance and better ventilation, but it's not quite enough. And nitrogen would kill the laptop under heat stress.

A laptop pad sounds like a good idea. Cheap, but it works.

Also, would like to periodically thank everyone.