2012 doomsday?

quantam110

I just want to hear some opinions from the scientists here on the topic of 2012 which is pretty close, The mayans have with thier astounding mathematics were able to predict solar cycles and I think even galactic cycles around the earth, some scientists like terrance mckenna believe it will be the great shift in human consciousness other scientists believe that planet X will come close to the earths atmosphere I disrupt the balance and cause major pole shifts leading to catastrophic events, I am not sure I believe this but I would still like to hear some opinions on it.

2012 is sometimes claimed to be a great year of spiritual transformation (or apocalypse). Many esoteric sources interpret the completion of the thirteenth B'ak'tun cycle in the Long Count of the Maya calendar (which occurs on December 21 by the most widely held correlation) to mean there will be a major change in world order.

Accordingly, several eclectic authors claim that a major, world-changing event will take place in 2012:

The 1995 book The Mayan Prophecies linked the Maya calendar with long-period sunspot cycles.

The book 2012: Mayan Year of Destiny claims the Maya may have been instructed in their wisdom by disembodied entities from Orion and the Pleiades. Contact was maintained through shamanic rituals conducted in accordance with the movements of planets and stars. However, some Mayan priests living and working in Guatemala assert that there is no legitimacy to this theory.

The 1997 book The Bible Code claims that, according to certain algorithms of the Bible code, a meteor, asteroid or comet will collide with the Earth.

The book The Nostradamus Code speaks of a series of natural disasters caused by a comet (possibly as above) that will allow the third Antichrist to disperse his troops around the globe under the guise of aid in preparation for a possible nuclear war, although in the strictest sense it is unspecific as to nuclear war or some other natural or man caused destruction.

The book The Orion Prophecy claims that the Earth's magnetic field will reverse.

The 2005 book Beyond 2012: Catastrophe or Ecstasy by Geoff Stray reviews several theories, prophecies and predictions concerning 2012 and finds where authors have used faulty information or have bent the truth to fit their theories.

The 2006 book 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl by Daniel Pinchbeck discusses theories of a possible global awakening to psychic connection by the year 2012, creating a noosphere.

The 2007 book Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End by Lawrence Joseph does not make any specific new predictions, but it reviews a number of 2012 predictions made by various sources, and presents arguments for the possible existence of dangerous positive feedback loops involving solar storms, Earth's magnetic field, cosmic rays, hurricanes, global warming, earthquakes, and supervolcanoes that may be on the verge of erupting.

Other prophecies and apocalyptic writings and hypotheses for this year include:

Terence McKenna's numerological novelty theory suggests a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness.

Some proponents of a peak oil catastrophe place major events in 2012. Richard C. Duncan's book The Peak of World Oil Production and the Road To The Olduvai Gorge claims that the Olduvai cliff will begin and permanent blackouts will occur worldwide. Several studies predict a peak in oil production in or around 2012

don`t you think that if the World was THAT easy take over, I`d have Done it by now!? :rolleyes:

But, it's not about taking over the world... it's about ending it. You've been watching too much Pinky and the Brain again.

The game does not conclude until the woman with the eating disorder ululates. :)

But, it's not about taking over the world... it's about ending it. You've been watching too much Pinky and the Brain again.

Character - zim
corner_tl.gif corner_tr.gif
tail.gif
Mock all you like Puny Human! perhaps you`d like to Mock you`r new entry into my Book of DOOMYNESS also!
corner_bl.gif corner_br.gif

Planet X is a guy not to be underestimated - I think he could easily beat Batman in a fair fight (i.e. without Batman using all those nasty techno-gadgets). But when it comes to the end of the world, I recommend listening to people with a little more competence than the Mayas - Scientology, for example.

Sidenote: To be fair, Mayas have some advantages over Scientology, though. They're not gonna brainwash you and cost less money.

Mankind has been "Predicting" the End-of-the-World since mankind was able to.

we`re still suckin` air, I wouldn`t worry about it ;)

Don't you know, the world has already ended, several times over! And, it has ended several times within your lifetime too: http://www.armageddononline.org/failed_armageddon.php

It has ended 10 times since the day I was born :P. And, it ended a few more times after 2000 (e.g. 9-11, etc.)

I used to think the logo was just rubbish until someone pointed out that it looked a bit like "Lisa Simpson performing an obscene act". Now I think its almost worth the cost (about $0.8 million. Yes, really, about £400000), just for the comedy value

someone pointed out that it looked a bit like "Lisa Simpson performing an obscene act".

It does too.:D

But just to show we aussies also like to have fun, here is the official Flag for The Torres Strait Islands. It represents the traditional headdress of the Islanders, but there is a deeper, more symbolic meaning there too, I think.:D

I used to think the logo was just rubbish until someone pointed out that it looked a bit like "Lisa Simpson performing an obscene act". Now I think its almost worth the cost (about $0.8 million. Yes, really, about £400000), just for the comedy value

An obscene act with a dog if my eyes don't deceive me....