Group Psychology Article Recommendation?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section..

My son, 14, just got in trouble along with some other kids at school, a perfect example of peer pressure and groupthink, I think in this case.

Anyway, I thought it appropriate as part of his punishment to have him do some reading on the subject, write me a little paper on it. Thing is, I'm having trouble finding a good article or paper on it. Everything I find is either a single page summary "dumbed down", or a collegiate level contribution using high diction he's not familiar with.

Can anyone here suggest a good link to a scientific article or something, relevant to group psychology/behavior, that might go into some depth without overwhelming a 14 year old mind?

The first and most graphic angle of groupthink that came to mind is lynching. There have been several works done but so many use postcards and other visuals and I'm not sure how you think your son would handle such representations.

How about the Milgram experiment? Not quite groupthink there, but it is also a very famous study.

No, because that deals with Authority figures.

In this case it sounds like the kid and a few others peer pressured someone.

Try looking up things dealing with "group peer pressure"

I would suggest looking at Zimbardo's prison based experiment at Stanford in 1971. The entire premise was of "peer pressure" and there are numerous points that sound like they could be matched with what you've said above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

I beg to differ.

The Zimbardo Prison Experiment was also based on authority, although this time it was what happens when people are put in authoritative positions, and when people are put in captive positions.

Cheers to Paranoia for showing me how smart parents operate. What a freakin' brilliant idea... It's one I'll keep with me for ages, tucked away with a concurrent hope that I never need to implement it. :)

I beg to differ.

The Zimbardo Prison Experiment was also based on authority, although this time it was what happens when people are put in authoritative positions, and when people are put in captive positions.

Psyber did the short version, but here's the longer one.

What aspect of being a school kid do you believe is not a role of authority vs submission? In the specific event ParanoiA mentioned, his kid was being subjected to peer pressure... otherwise known as peer imposed authority where not following may result in peer related consequences for him. ParanoiA also mentioned groupthink... and aspect of Zimbardo's experiment which was not only a considerable outcome of the experiment, but actually part of the core reason it was undertaken in the first place.

Unless you can give specific and referenced reasons why you disagree, I beg to differ with your opinion.

In Zimbardos experiment people were given different clothing (to feel more degenerate or more powerful) and different roles. In the school situation, no one has (typically) is purposefully wearing something so that they appear submissive. Also, in a school situation with friends peer pressure can be diffused by disagreeing and trying to rally others to agree with you. However, in the Prison Experiment, although there may be a riot, those in the prisoners situation will remain in their situation, and cannot change the outcome of their submissiveness.

In other words, in a friend situation, lets say 5 people - 1 ringleader. The ringleader says "lets do this" 3 people agree, and you say "no, lets do this instead" by playing devils advocate, or by going against the group you may be able to get someone else to join your side, someone else that didnt have the "guts" to do it.

In the prison situation however, this cannot happen.