After watching the Nova program on String Theory

Mag

I have to say, although I like the ideas of strings being the interworkings of everything, it seems like its taken on a life of its own, with 11 dimensions, parallel universes, membranes, and whatnot.

It seems too -weird- for it to be plausible.

I guess we'll just have to wait till CERN is built...

but, I do have a question too.

Isnt it possible to have Gravitons, and such, without string theory?

Because I cant help but think that there's quite possibly another explanation that we havent explored yet.

As compared to what? Wave behavior of, well, everything? Time dilation and length contraction? Self-interference? Entangled particles and quantum teleportation?

True, but doesnt string theory give the possibility of a string stretching into a membrane - which is the size of the known universe? which then gives possibility to other universes, which, unlike other galaxies, we cannot even see or know about.

When I said its taken on a life of its own, I mean something along the lines of a snowball effect.

Isnt it possible to have Gravitons, and such, without string theory?

As gravitons are theoretical at this stage it only really makes sense to talk about gravitons in the context of a specified theory (Lagrangian).

Gravitons are usually understood in the context of perturbative quantisation of (linearised) general relativity. As you know this set-up is non-renormalisable but you can extract Feynman rules and consider scattering to one-loop with no problem.

You can show that the corresponding quanta to linearised general relativity are massless bosons of spin-2. The wonderful thing about string theory is that such states are naturally present in closed string theory. In that respect string theory predicts gravity!

You can show that the corresponding quanta to linearised general relativity are massless bosons of spin-2. The wonderful thing about string theory is that such states are naturally present in closed string theory. In that respect string theory predicts gravity!

They are present in local supersymmetry too, without the need for any string theory.