Kosovo is getting its independence:D

thedarkshade

Is this new 'democratic way' the way in which the minority disagree with the majority so violently that they declare their independence?

Why not? Is there another kind of "morally righteous" form of declaring independence? Doesn't it all really just boil down to whether or not you have the might to enforce your independence?

There are pros and cons to national independence, but I never really thought of it as wrong or right. Just likes lines in the dirt that we implicitly defend with the threat of violence, what makes us so right?

Why not? Is there another kind of "morally righteous" form of declaring independence? Doesn't it all really just boil down to whether or not you have the might to enforce your independence?

I never made any judgment - I was pointing out that it is not democratic.

Is this new 'democratic way' the way in which the minority disagree with the majority so violently that they declare their independence?

Seems democratic to me. The majority in Kosovo wanted independence, and the majority of countries recognize their independence. :eyebrow:

Seems democratic to me. The majority in Kosovo wanted independence, and the majority of countries recognize their independence. :eyebrow:

Yup! More than 90% was pro-independence, and only serbians were against. And the number of countries that have recognized our independence and are in process of creating diplomatic relations is quite big.

Well that all depends on what you define as "Kosavo" and "Serbia" doesn't it?

I will certainly concede that the majority of Albanians wanted independence.

I never made any judgment - I was pointing out that it is not democratic.

Well it is though. By your definition any declaration of independence is desitined to be undemocratic since you apparently insist on counting the repudiated majority. Which still doesn't stand well, considering they are vesting and exercising power through their people, a democratic behavior.

Why don't they change from 'majority' to 'foreigner' when Kosovo claims independence? Somehow this "majority" still has the necessary relevence to label this an undemocratic experience? Please...

Well it is though. By your definition any declaration of independence is desitined to be undemocratic since you apparently insist on counting the repudiated majority. Which still doesn't stand well, considering they are vesting and exercising power through their people, a democratic behavior.

Why don't they change from 'majority' to 'foreigner' when Kosovo claims independence? Somehow this "majority" still has the necessary relevence to label this an undemocratic experience? Please...

I agree with Severian on this one. I think you have to take the original country as a whole to determine the democratic process. If a vote is taken and the majority decide, then that is democracy in action. Anything else is revolution, IMO.

I agree with Severian on this one. I think you have to take the original country as a whole to determine the democratic process. If a vote is taken and the majority decide, then that is democracy in action. Anything else is revolution, IMO.

Sure, I completely agree it's a revolution, but what process is the revolt governed by? Any "revolution" isn't democratic with respect to those they are revolting from, obviously. But that doesn't mean their internal governing structure isn't democratic, I believe that was what DarkShade was talking about.

I contend it is quite a democratic revolution... :eyebrow:

I contend it is quite a democratic revolution... :eyebrow:

Well, I agree that they appear to be placing a democracy in place, but I would not call it a democratic revolution. I would call it a revolution that will result in a new democracy. The pros and cons of any seperation should be weighed, of course keeping it peaceful takes a big burden off the con column.

I don't know enough about the area to have an educated opinion, although the carnage during the war would make it understandable that a seperation would be desirable. I hope it works out well regardless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7274205.stm

Apparently, Greece is blocking the entrance of Macedonia (FYRM) into NATO because the name of the Republic makes them think that they have designs on the northern Greek province of Macedonia. Greece wants the official name changed.

This might have bearings on Kosavo, as the western FYRM is majority Albanian and there has already been some chatter about a "greater Kosavo" incorporating majority Albanian regions outside of Serbia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7274205.stm

Apparently, Greece is blocking the entrance of Macedonia (FYRM) into NATO because the name of the Republic makes them think that they have designs on the northern Greek province of Macedonia. Greece wants the official name changed.

This might have bearings on Kosavo, as the western FYRM is majority Albanian and there has already been some chatter about a "greater Kosavo" incorporating majority Albanian regions outside of Serbia.

They've been having this name dispute for some time, especially when Macedonia was admitted into the UN. They haven't gone to war over it yet.

They've been having this name dispute for some time, especially when Macedonia was admitted into the UN. They haven't gone to war over it yet.

Greece can actually veto Macedonia's entrance into NATO, though, since every member state has that power. It's not a permanent security council member in the UN.

The importance isn't that Greece is about to invade Macedonia. It's that this could lead to internal disruption within Macedonia that might result in Albanians splitting off or any number of events. I just thought the article was interesting.

If a vote is taken and the majority decide, then that is democracy in action.
Indirectly! There was no referendum or such thing, only elections by which our institutions were chosen. Then it was those institutions, chosen by majority, that declared the independence which was the will of every albanian!

If you mean that it has become apparent that the independence of Kosovo was a bad idea, then I agree. Something tells me that wasn't what you were meaning though....
No sunshine, it's the government of Serbia which became apparent that is not a government that a modern country should have. And why the government collapsed? Well you cannot go on governing a country when inside the government you got pro-western politicians and radical ultra-nationalist politicians like Vojislav Kostunica. They just don't fit!

No sunshine, it's the government of Serbia which became apparent that is not a government that a modern country should have.

Surely that is up to the people of Serbia to decide as a whole? Or are you just anti-democracy?

And why the government collapsed? Well you cannot go on governing a country when inside the government you got pro-western politicians and radical ultra-nationalist politicians like Vojislav Kostunica. They just don't fit!

Well, maybe you are right. Maybe Serbia will function more efficiently with only ultra-nationalists in power.

Surely that is up to the people of Serbia to decide as a whole? Or are you just anti-democracy?
Well, they seem to be taking not so good decisions

Well, maybe you are right. Maybe Serbia will function more efficiently with only ultra-nationalists in power.
Oh, like they did with Milosevic?!

The fact that Serbia is struggling actually underscores the logic of Kosovo's departure. I'm sorry that's not working out the way European hegemonists desired, but calling that anti-democratic is pretty hypocritical, IMO.