The environmental debate thread

Reaper

How I live shares the wealth of my success with many people. There are all those people that build my fossil fuel consuming recreational vehicles, those that distribute and sell them, those that produce the fossil fuels and those that distribute it. Then there are those that sell me breakfast, lunch, and dinner when I am away from home in the mountains enjoying nature and my friends. It's called the economy. Maybe you have heard of it.

My way sound much more generous than shutting down the economy based on articles published in research paper mills. I guess those people have to work too. Perhaps you think people would be better off if the wealth of the world were put into dumping iron oxide into the oceans to increase the number of little crustaceans. I know, maybe we could turn corn into alcohol and drive up food prices. That just might improve man kind’s lot.

Economics and politics don't belong in this discussion — that can be debated in another thread. Restrict it to the science, please.

Re:"Stephen McIntyre and Ross McKitrick have become famous (or infamous) for claiming to have found major problems with a recent reconstruction of the past climate (called the Hockey Stick because of the shape). Even though major and glaring errors have been found in their writings, they continue to be favorites with the global warming "skeptics." " You won't of course mind providing peer reviewed articles to back this up?

Are you asking for a peer-reviewed article that directly rebuts McIntyre and McKitrick's critiques? (not sure of the context of your last sentence) AFAIK the bulk of their work does not appear in peer-reviewed journals. If they are not, then it doesn't require a peer-reviewed rebuttal. Such an article likely wouldn't get published if the original article did not appear in a journal. Articles that link to peer-reviewed research should suffice in that case.

As far as their 2005 paper in GRL, there were rebuttals in that journal: von Storch and Zorita, and Huybers (pdf). And also this article in Journal of Climate

("Energy and Environment" is not generally considered a peer-reviewed source; it's not listed by the ISI)

I know they acknowledged the error... what you fail to understand is that McIntyre brought it to there attention. It says so in the article I showed you.

You have still evaded the original question put to you, which was a request to support your assertion that the site (realclimate.org) summarily dismisses information not in agreement with them.

Do you have any evidence that this has happened?

And please stop appealing to shame because I ask you to supply sources to support your claims. This is, afterall, a science forum. If you cannot support your claims and assertions with evidence then you should not be making them.

I have, your problem is that you fall into an all too comon method of discussion and debate online... that being that you refuse to accept self evident statements, and you refuse to accept, much less read, evidence that doesn't fit in with your belief system.

Well, that's great. I appreciate you trying to help me become better. I hope to be able to reciprocate that with you, and that we achieve mutual betterment in the process.

However, you continue attacking me and my style, instead of the data, and you are not sharing supporting evidence of your claims, so this suggests that your own debate style is also lacking.

You are correct that you did share ONE reference above, and you are correct that I wasn't satisfied with it's source. Knowing that the source of your citation has been involved with numerous falsehoods, has not been published in any peer-reviewed journals, and that this source has repeatedly been debunked for his continued misrepresentation of facts, I find my request for another source (or, more appropriate, sources) in support of your claims to be entirely valid (as I'm sure will most other readers here).

If you cannot find another source, that's fine, but it certainly would speak poorly to the substance, plausibility, and validity of your claims.

And yes, I would prefer that you offer .edu or .gov sources, and you will notice I've tried to lead by example on this by using such sources when supporting my own arguments (with the exception of the links I provided discussing McIntyre's continued intellectual dishonesty and questionable motiviations, despite one positive outcome of his work where he discovered an error in an early 1900s temperature data point and had it corrected).

If you need citation of that assertion, go read your own posts.
You mentioned that you knew what stawman means, so I am confident you also know what citation means, and a comment suggesting I go review my own posts here in the forums does not meet that criteria. Further, you are again appealing to shame, offering a mild ad hom, and continuing to avoid discussion of the data itself.

You've mentioned that you don't find me to be a good debater, and I'm okay with that. My strength exists in the accuracy of the data I share and defend. However, in the spirit of mutual betterment, I again ask that you stop attacking me directly and cease your appeals to shame and that you instead focus on the data itself and start supplying evidence and data in support of your claims and your position.

Are you asking for a peer-reviewed article that directly rebuts McIntyre and McKitrick's critiques?

Since their original appeared in GRL after peer review, I thought it only fair that any reponse should be similarly peer reviewed.

Articles that link to peer-reviewed research should suffice in that case.

Fair enough, agreed.

If you don't mind, I'll get back to you about the two rebuttals. It's 2AM here now and I can barely see the words on the screen.

Don't forget, I only entered the thread to show that Sourcewatch was being somewhat dishonest by not including the fact that peer reviewed papers had been published and that Infopollution was an obvious shill site.

As I said, I'm taking your advice. Both Realclimate and Climateaudit have links to many papers and there are usually more linked to in the discussion threads. It's a hell of a lot of reading, but very interesting.

Cheers,

JohnB.

I have been away for 24 hours, and the number of posts seems to have accelerated. No way can I reply to all of them.

There does seem to be an incredible amount of opinion cited. I look for good science, and see the opinions of scientists quoted as if that were good science. Something to be aware of.

I'm still catching up, too.

Yes, I agreed that the net cooling of 1940 to 1976 actually happened by 1950. That is off my point, though. The point I was making is that there was a temperature change (net cooling) which did not fit the forcings in the graph. The overall pattern of 1940 to 1976 is that of several coolings and warmings, which do NOT follow that predicted by greenhouse gases.

Neither did it follow that predicted by sulphate aerosol. Nor that predicted by aerosol and greenhouse gases together. To explain the pattern, it is necessary to include a powerful sunspot effect also. And the calculated solar forcings do not do this.

The problem with focusing on any short interval is that random fluctuations will dominate. The differences are about 0.1 ºC, and most of the trends and inflections are actually represented there. The question becomes, what is the stated precision on the model, and how much weather noise is there? I seem to recall that the noise term in Hansen's 1988 paper was supposed to be about 0.1 ºC (links to paper and analysis here ) and I imagine the model from the graph in question would be similar.

As I have argued before, scientists do not yet understand how sunspot activity changes global temperature, in spite of several theories. Until we understand the process, how the hell can we calculate it?

If you do not believe me, take another look at the graph of solar forcings. The biggest increase in sunspot activity, which drove a 0.4 C warming at a time when greenhouse gas increase was trivial, occurred from 1910 to 1940. Does the red line of solar forcings show this? No. It shows a trivial and short lived increase only. Why? Because the whole thing is not understood well enough to permit accurate calculations.

And to come to a final conclusion, if we do not understand something as powerful as sunspot forcings, and cannot calculate them, how can we make accurate predictions for the future?

If "scientists do not yet understand how sunspot activity changes global temperature" (a statement with which I do not agree), how can you state that the 0.4 ºC increase from 1910 to 1940 was due to sunspots?

To Swansont

It can be a problem, can't it? You go off for a day and get back with so many extra posts on the thread that it is hard even to do justice to reading them, much less replying.

Incidentally, and I know this is irrelevent. I was just reading an article on exercising the brain. While this was directed more at elderly people who need to fend off geriatric cerebral sclerosis, it does apply to some extent to all ages. We all need to exercise the old grey matter to keep it in good working condition. The article actually stated that our kind of forum discussion is one of the best brain exercises. Not just the debate, but also the chasing up of references via google, and educating ourselves on the subject being debated, in order to be better debaters.

You mention the business of noise. I agree with you. I have always been a bit bemused by the signal to noise ratio problem in building up good data on long term climate changes. Take temperature. We have an average warming of 0.018 C per year (plus or minus a titch). This is the signal. The noise is overwhelming. If you take annual temperature difference, from the hottest place and time to the coldest, we have a range of well over 100 C. To extract a meaningful signal from all this noise is not easy.

In mentioning this, I am not disputing the data. Just bemused by the difficulty.

Swansont said :

"If "scientists do not yet understand how sunspot activity changes global temperature" (a statement with which I do not agree), how can you state that the 0.4 ºC increase from 1910 to 1940 was due to sunspots?"

This is the difference between theory and empirical data. I am saying that theory lags behind data. It is very clear that major historic temperature changes are correlated with sunspot activity change. This is not even in dispute. Even the IPCC agrees. When sunspot activity increases, and this is followed by temperature increase, at a time when other factors such as greenhouse gases and aerosols etc cannot explain the warming, the conclusion is not hard to draw.

As far as the 0.4 C warming between 1910 and 1940 is concerned, this is associated with a trivial greenhouse gas increase (less than 1 ppm per decade of CO2). But it followed a major increase in sunspot activity. In addition, the 30 years prior also saw the same greenhouse gas increase associated with a cooling. That cooling was preceded by a drop in sunspot activity.

One of the reasons I concentrate on the last 30 years in discussing global warming is that earlier warmings may have been a 'return to normal' following the Little Ice Age. This means that those warmings are not anthropogenic global warming at all.

The Medieval Climate Optimum of 900 AD to 1200 AD was correlated with high sunspot activity. The cooling that followed, leading into the Little Ice Age was correlated with a drop in sunspot activity. And the warming leading up to 1940 was correlated with an increase in sunspot activity.

The action of sunspots and their association with warming and cooling is not really in dispute. Even during the last 30 years there are temperature fluctuations which 'coincide' with highs and lows in the sunspot cycle. It is really only the last 50 years that the broad pattern has been disrupted, and the first 20 years of that period was a net cooling, and thus cannot be described as anthropogenic global warming. Only the last 30 years is clear cut AGW.

This is the difference between theory and empirical data. I am saying that theory lags behind data. It is very clear that major historic temperature changes are correlated with sunspot activity change. This is not even in dispute. Even the IPCC agrees. When sunspot activity increases, and this is followed by temperature increase, at a time when other factors such as greenhouse gases and aerosols etc cannot explain the warming, the conclusion is not hard to draw.

Correlation [math]\neq[/math] causation.

To the Cap'n.

While it is true that correlation does not necessarily equal causation, it is a necessity for causation. That which does not correlate is not a cause.

Where clear correlation exists, there are a few possibilities only.

1. The data is false. Not true in this case, since the correlation has been shown by numerous studies and for numerous historical warmings and coolings. As I said, even the IPCC agree.

2. Causation.

3. Both the phenomena that correlate to each other are caused by a third factor. If you can think of a third factor that can cause both sunspot activity and global temperature change, please let us know.

A further clue to this is timing. Where factor A causes Factor B, we see A preceding B. If both are caused by factor C, then they tend to occur together.

In the sunspot activity vs warming/cooling phenomenon, we see the change in sunspot activity preceding the change in global temperature. Pretty good evidence.

One of the more serious factual flaws in Al Gores ridiculous movie related to the relationship between warming and CO2 increase in the interglacial warmings prior to the present stage, over the last million years of the current Ice Age. He claimed that this correlation demonstrated that CO2 increase caused warming back then.

When you look at those warmings, you see the Earth's temperature increasing without CO2 increase initially, and CO2 starting to increase about 800 years later. Clearly, the warming was instigated by something other than CO2. While it is possible that CO2 was part of the mechanism that extended the warming period, it was not the cause, as claimed by Al Gore.

In that case, correlation definitely was not causation.

To iNow

Your post 61 was a collection of people's opinions. It does not even need replying to. If you want to argue, use science.

Where clear correlation exists, there are a few possibilities only.

1. The data is false. Not true in this case, since the correlation has been shown by numerous studies and for numerous historical warmings and coolings.

2. Causation.

3. Both the phenomena that correlate to each other are caused by a third factor.

So, when it rains, more people carry umbrellas. The carrying of umbrellas is correlated with rain. Which of your three describes this instance? Your comments are analogous to arguing that people carrying umbrellas cause it to rain.

To iNow

Your post 61 was a collection of people's opinions. It does not even need replying to. If you want to argue, use science.

Excuse me. Look again. I posted ten specific scientific sources. These were not collections of people's opinions, nor do I appreciate your insinuation that I have somehow failed to argue your comment from a scientific standpoint.

Look again at what I shared.

I will repost iNow's links so that you, SkepticLance (and others on here), don't make the mistake of overlooking or misinterpreting them again:

(emphasis mine):

http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/content/h844264320314105/fulltext.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v443/n7108/abs/nature05072.html

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/07/the-lure-of-solar-forcing/

It has been extremely well documented now that solar changes since about 1950 have a very minimal forcing, and maybe even negative.

Here's some more food for thought:

Solar influence on climate during the past millennium: Results from transient simulations with the NCAR Climate System Model -- Ammann et al. 104 (10): 3713 -- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

Changes in Solar Brightness Too Weak to Explain Global Warming - News Release

http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/proceedings_a/rspa20071880.pdf

Max Planck Society - Press Release

Final Report of Synthesis and Assessment Product 1.1

ATMOSPHERE: Global Change in the Upper Atmosphere -- Laštovička et al. 314 (5803): 1253 -- Science

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-chapter2.pdf

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg1/ar4-wg1-chapter9.pdf

Now SkepticLance, would you please demonstrate to us where there are errors and/or "mere opinions"? And, we would especially like it if you could cite other independent and/or peer-reviewed sources that would confirm this.

To iNow

Your rain/umbrella analogy is number 2 on my list. Rain causes people to carry umbrellas. Causation. Reversing what is cause and what is effect is simply a silly and meaningless trick on your part. I am sure you knew that and were just trying to throw a red herring.

On the business of opinions. There are literally dozens of web sites run by scientists which are sceptical to global warming. If I were to quote such a web site and present one of their opinions, iNow and Lockheed would quite rightly jump on me and pour scorn over that opinion. It also works the other way. If iNow presents the opinion of a scientist who supports the catastrophist's view, then I do not even have to reply. It is an opinion and hence worthless.

If you read the points that iNow presented, most are pure opinion. I need the data, not someone's interpretation.

The following statement :

"It has been extremely well documented now that solar changes since about 1950 have a very minimal forcing, and maybe even negative."

is not even pertinent to the discussion.

I have not suggested that solar forcings after 1950 had much effect. If you insist on pushing the idea that recent solar forcings are weak, when I have not argued otherwise, then you are simply posting a red herring.

The examples I gave for sunspot activity change causing warming or cooling were :

Medieval Climate Optimum - 900 AD to 1200 AD Warm due to high sunspot activity.

Cooling from 1200 to 1500 AD due to reducing sunspot activity.

Little Ice Age from 1500 AD to 1800 AD - very low sunspot activity.

Warming from 1800 AD to 1940 due to increasing sunspot activity. (allowing for a bit of up and down during that time)

After 1950, sunspot activity was quite constant, except for the standard 11 and 22 year cycles, which produced a warming/cooling effect of maximum 0.2 C. Thus explains some of the fluctuations in temperature change over that time, but is not any significant part of overall warming.

If you have good data to show that sunspots were not much of a driver of warming/cooling in the period of 900 AD to 1940, then post it. Please don't refer to the last 50 years, which is simply putting words in my mouth.

If iNow presents the opinion of a scientist who supports the catastrophist's view, then I do not even have to reply. It is an opinion and hence worthless.

Precisely what, in that large list of references I shared, do you suggest is opinion?

You have also failed to supply ANY links in support of your position above.

If you have good data to show that sunspots were not much of a driver of warming/cooling in the period of 900 AD to 1940, then post it. Please don't refer to the last 50 years, which is simply putting words in my mouth.

It's been posted, you <ad hom> <ad hom> <ad hom> piece of <ad hom> <ad hom> ignorant <ad hom>...

Un-fukking-believable. :doh:

Try reading the links before dismissing them. At least I give that level of respect to you (on those rare occasions when you do, in fact, share a link to support your points).

For example

"http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-re...1-chapter2.pdf

The combined anthropogenic RF is estimated to be +1.6 [–1.0, +0.8]2 W m–2, indicating that, since 1750, it is extremely likely that humans have exerted a substantial warming influence on climate. This RF estimate is likely to be at least five times greater than that due to solar irradiance changes. For the period 1950 to 2005, it is exceptionally unlikely that the combined natural RF (solar irradiance plus volcanic aerosol) has had a warming influence comparable to that of the combined anthropogenic RF.

Since the start of the industrial era (about 1750), the overall effect of human activities on climate has been a warming influence. The human impact on climate during this era greatly exceeds that due to known changes in natural processes, such as solar changes and volcanic eruptions. "

The bit in bold is pure opinion. At least, if it refers to total solar effect, including sunspots. One of the problems we have is that the energy output of the sun, as measured in the last few decades by satellites, has been increasing only to a very small degree, and cannot be a significant contributor to global warming. I get the impression that some people extend this backwards in time to before we had direct measurements and assume that changes in solar activity cannot be a significant contributor to global warming/cooling.

You also posted a number of references which referred only to the time after 1950. Since you are totally aware of the fact that I have NEVER claimed sunspots had any significant effect on global warming after 1950, I can only assume this was a mischievous and dishonest attempt to mislead.

Incidentally, after your last post, go and wash out your mouth with soap and water!

The bit in bold is pure opinion.

It's getting humorous how blatant your misrepresentations have become. That "opinion" is supported by the following:

Abdul-Razzak, H., and S.J. Ghan, 2002: A parametrization of aerosol
activation: 3. Sectional representation. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D3), 4026,
doi:10.1029/2001JD000483.
Abel, S.J., E.J. Highwood, J.M. Haywood, and M.A. Stringer, 2005: The
direct radiative effect of biomass burning aerosol over southern Africa.
Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 5, 1165–1211.
Abel, S.J., et al., 2003: Evolution of biomass burning aerosol properties
from an agricultural fi re in southern Africa. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(15),
1783, doi:10.1029/2003GL017342.
Ackerman, A.S, M.P. Kirkpatrick, D.E. Stevens, and O.B. Toon, 2004: The
impact of humidity above stratiform clouds on indirect aerosol climate
forcing. Nature, 432, 1014–1017.
Ackerman, A.S., et al., 2000a: Reduction of tropical cloudiness by soot.
Science, 288, 1042–1047.
Ackerman, A.S., et al., 2000b: Effects of aerosols on cloud albedo:
evaluation of Twomey’s parametrization of cloud susceptibility using
measurements of ship tracks. J. Atmos. Sci., 57, 2684–2695.
Adams, P.J. and J.H. Seinfeld, 2002: Predicting global aerosol size
distributions in general circulation models. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D19),
4370, doi:10.1029/2001JD001010.
Adams, P.J., et al., 2001: General circulation model assessment of direct
radiative forcing by the sulfate-nitrate-ammonium-water inorganic
aerosol system. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D1), 1097–1112.
Albrecht, B., 1989: Aerosols, cloud microphysics and fractional cloudiness.
Science, 245, 1227–1230.
Allan, W., et al., 2005: Interannual variation of 13C in tropospheric methane:
Implications for a possible atomic chlorine sink in the marine boundary
layer. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D11306, doi:10.1029/2004JD005650.
Ammann, C.M., G.A. Meehl, W.M. Washington, and C.S. Zender, 2003: A
monthly and latitudinally varying volcanic forcing dataset in simulations
of 20th century climate. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(12), 1657, doi:10.1029/
2003GL016875.
Anderson, T.L., et al., 2003: Climate forcing by aerosols: a hazy picture.
Science, 300, 1103–1104.
Anderson, T.L., et al., 2005a. Testing the MODIS satellite retrieval of
aerosol fi ne-mode fraction. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D18204, doi:10.1029/
2005JD005978.
Anderson, T.L., et al., 2005b: An “A-Train” strategy for quantifying direct
climate forcing by anthropogenic aerosols. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 86,
1795–1809.
Andreae, M.O., and P. Merlet, 2001: Emission of trace gases and aerosols
from biomass burning. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 15(4), 955–966,
doi:10.1029/2000GB001382.
Andreae, M.O., et al., 2004: Atmospheric science: smoking rain clouds
over the Amazon. Science, 303(5662), 1337–1341.
Andres, R.J., G. Marland, T. Boden, and S. Bischof, 2000: Carbon dioxide
emissions from fossil fuel consumption and cement manufacture, 1751-
1991, and an estimate of their isotopic composition and latitudinal
distribution. In: The Carbon Cycle [Wigley, T.M.L., and D.S. Schimel
(eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 53–62.
Andronova, N.G., et al., 1999: Radiative forcing by volcanic aerosols from
1850 to 1994. J. Geophys. Res., 104(D14), 16807–16826.
Antuña, J.C., et al., 2003: Spatial and temporal variability of the
stratospheric aerosol cloud produced by the 1991 Mount Pinatubo
eruption. J. Geophys. Res., 108, 4624, doi:10.1029/2003JD003722.
Asano, S., et al., 2002: Two case studies of winter continental-type water and
mixed-phased stratocumuli over the sea. II: Absorption of solar radiation.
J. Geophys. Res., 107(D21), 4570, doi:10.1029/2001JD001108.
Baliunas, S., and R. Jastrow, 1990: Evidence for long-term brightness
changes of solar-type stars. Nature, 348, 520–522.
Balkanski, Y., et al., 2004: Global emissions of mineral aerosol: formulation
and validation using satellite imagery. In: Emission of Atmospheric
Trace Compounds [Granier, C., P. Artaxo, and C.E. Reeves (eds.)].
Kluwer, Amsterdam, pp. 239–267.
Bange, H.W., S. Rapsomanikis, and M.O. Andreae, 1996: Nitrous oxide in
coastal waters. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 10(1), 197–207.
Baran, A.J., and J.S. Foot, 1994: A new application of the operational
sounder HIRS in determining a climatology of sulfuric acid aerosol
from the Pinatubo eruption. J. Geophys. Res., 99(D12), 25673–25679.
Barnes, J.E., and D.J. Hoffman, 1997: Lidar measurements of stratospheric
aerosol over Mauna Loa Observatory. Geophys. Res. Lett., 24(15),
1923–1926.
Barnston, A.G., and P.T. Schickedanz, 1984: The effect of irrigation
on warm season precipitation in the southern Great Plains. J. Appl.
Meteorol., 23, 865–888.
Bartholome, E., and A.S. Belward, 2005: GLC2000: a new approach to
global land cover mapping from Earth observation data. Int. J. Remote
Sens., 26, 1959–1977.
Bates, T.S., et al., 2006: Aerosol direct radiative effects over the northwest
Atlantic, northwest Pacifi c, and North Indian Oceans: estimates based
on in situ chemical and optical measurements and chemical transport
modelling. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 6, 175–362.
Bauer, S.E., and D. Koch, 2005: Impact of heterogeneous sulfate formation
at mineral dust surfaces on aerosol loads and radiative forcing in the
Goddard Institute for Space Studies general circulation model. J.
Geophys. Res., 110, D17202, doi:10.1029/2005JD005870.
Bauman, J.J., P.B. Russell, M.A. Geller, and P. Hamill, 2003: A stratospheric
aerosol climatology from SAGE II and CLAES measurements: 2.
Results and comparisons, 1984-1999. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13),
4383, doi:10.1029/2002JD002993.
Beheng, K.D., 1994: A parametrization of warm cloud microphysical
conversion process. Atmos. Res., 33, 193–206.
Bekki, S., K. Law, and J. Pyle, 1994: Effect of ozone depletion on
atmospheric CH4 and CO concentrations. Nature, 371, 595–597.
Bellouin, N., O. Boucher, D. Tanré, and O. Dubovik, 2003: Aerosol
absorption over the clear-sky oceans deduced from POLDER-1
and AERONET observations. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(14), 1748,
doi:10.1029/2003GL017121.
Bellouin, N., O. Boucher, J. Haywood, and M.S. Reddy, 2005: Global
estimates of aerosol direct radiative forcing from satellite measurements.
Nature, 438, 1138–1141.
Benestad, R.E., 2005: A review of the solar cycle length estimates.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L15714, doi:10.1029/2005GL023621.
Bergamaschi, P., et al., 2005: Inverse modelling of national and European
CH4 emissions using the atmospheric zoom model TM5. Atmos. Chem.
Phys., 5, 2431–2460.
Bergstrom, R.W., P. Pilewskie, B. Schmid, and P.B. Russell, 2003:
Estimates of the spectral aerosol single scattering albedo and aerosol
radiative effects during SAFARI 2000. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13),
8474, doi:10.1029/2002JD002435.
Berntsen, T.K., et al., 2005: Climate response to regional emissions of
ozone precursors; sensitivities and warming potentials. Tellus, 4B,
283–304.
Berntsen, T.K., et al., 2006: Abatement of greenhouse gases: does location
matter? Clim. Change, 74, 377–411.
Berry, E.X., 1967: Cloud droplet growth by collection. J. Atmos. Sci., 24,
688–701.
Betts, R.A., 2000: Offset of the potential carbon sink from boreal forestation
by decreases in surface albedo. Nature, 408(6809), 187–189.
Betts, R.A., 2001: Biogeophysical impacts of land use on present-day
climate: near-surface temperature change and radiative forcing. Atmos.
Sci. Lett., 2(1–4), doi:1006/asle.2001.0023.
Betts, R.A., and M.J. Best, 2004: Relative impact of radiative forcing,
landscape effects and local heat sources on simulated climate change
in urban areas. BETWIXT Technical Briefi ng Note No. 6, Met Offi ce,
Exeter, UK, 15 pp.
Betts, R.A., P.M. Cox, S.E. Lee, and F.I. Woodward, 1997: Contrasting
physiological and structural vegetation feedbacks in climate change
simulations. Nature, 387, 796–799.
Betts, R.A., P.D. Falloon, K.K. Goldewijk, and N. Ramankutty, 2007:
Biogeophysical effects of land use on climate: model simulations
of radiative forcing and large-scale temperature change. Agric. For.
Meteorol., 142, 216-233.
Betts, R.A., et al., 2004: The role of ecosystem-atmosphere interactions in
simulated Amazonian precipitation decrease and forest dieback under
global climate warming. Theor. Appl. Climatol., 78, 157–175.
Bigler, M., et al., 2002: Sulphate record from a northeast Greenland ice
core over the last 1200 years based on continuous fl ow analysis. Ann.
Glaciol., 35, 250–256.
Bingen, C., D. Fussen, and F. Vanhellemont, 2004: A global climatology
of stratospheric aerosol size distribution parameters derived from SAGE
II data over the period 1984-2000: 2. Reference data. J. Geophys. Res.,
109, D06202, doi:10.1029/2003JD003511.
Blake, D., and F. Rowland, 1988: Continuing worldwide increase in
tropospheric methane, 1978 to 1987. Science, 239, 1129–1131.
Blake, N.J., et al., 2001: Large-scale latitudinal and vertical distributions
of NMHCs and selected halocarbons in the troposphere over the Pacifi c
Ocean during the March-April 1999 Pacifi c Exploratory Mission (PEMTropics
B). J. Geophys. Res., 106, 32627–32644.
Bluth, G.J.S., W.I. Rose, I.E. Sprod, and A.J. Krueger, 1997: Stratospheric
loading of sulfur from explosive volcanic eruptions. J. Geol., 105, 671–
Bluth, G.J.S., et al., 1992: Global tracking of the SO2 clouds from the June
1991 Mount Pinatubo eruptions. Geophys. Res. Lett., 19(2), 151–154,
doi:10.1029/91GL02792.
Boberg, F., and H. Lundstedt, 2002: Solar wind variations related to
fl uctuations of the North Atlantic Oscillation. Geophys. Res. Lett.,
29(15), doi:10.1029/2002GL014903.
Boer, G.J., and B. Yu, 2003a: Climate sensitivity and climate state. Clim.
Dyn., 21, 167–176.
Boer, G.J., and B. Yu, 2003b: Climate sensitivity and response. Clim. Dyn.,
20, 415–429.
Bond, T.C., 2001: Spectral dependence of visible light absorption by
carbonaceous particles emitted from coal combustion. Geophys. Res.
Lett., 28(21), 4075–4078.
Bond, T.C., and H. Sun, 2005: Can reducing black carbon emissions
counteract global warming? Environ. Sci. Technol., 39, 5921–5926.
Bond, T.C., et al., 1999: Light absorption by primary particle emissions
from a lignite burning plant. Environ. Sci.Technol., 33, 3887–3891.
Bond, T.C., et al., 2004: A technology-based global inventory of black
and organic carbon emissions from combustion. J. Geophys. Res., 109,
D14203, doi:10.1029/2003JD003697.
Born, M., H. Dorr, and I. Levin, 1990: Methane consumption in aerated
soils of the temperate zone. Tellus , 42B, 2–8.
Bortz, S.E., and M.J. Prather, 2006: Ozone, water vapor, and temperature
in the upper tropical troposphere: Variations over a decade of
MOZAIC Measurements. J. Geophys. Res., 111, D05305, doi:10.1029/
2005JD006512.
Boucher, O., 1999: Air traffi c may increase cirrus cloudiness. Nature, 397,
30–31.
Boucher, O., and U. Lohmann, 1995: The sulfate-CCN-cloud albedo
effect: a sensitivity study using two general circulation models. Tellus,
47B, 281–300.
Boucher, O., and D. Tanré, 2000: Estimation of the aerosol perturbation
to the Earth’s radiative budget over oceans using POLDER satellite
aerosol retrievals. Geophys. Res. Lett., 27(8), 1103–1106.
Boucher, O., and J. Haywood, 2001: On summing the components of
radiative forcing of climate change. Clim. Dyn., 18, 297–302.
Boucher, O., and M. Pham, 2002: History of sulfate aerosol radiative
forcings. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(9), 22–25.
Boucher, O., H. Le Treut, and M.B. Baker, 1995: Precipitation and
radiation modeling in a general circulation model: introduction of cloud
microphysical processes. J. Geophys. Res., 100(D8), 16395–16414.
Boucher, O., G. Myhre, and A. Myhre, 2004: Direct human infl uence of
irrigation on atmospheric water vapour and climate. Clim. Dyn., 22,
597–604.
Bounoua, L., et al., 2002: Effects of land cover conversion on surface
climate. Clim. Change, 52, 29–64.
Bousquet, P., et al., 2005: Two decades of OH variability as inferred by an
inversion of atmospheric transport and chemistry of methyl chloroform.
Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 1679–1731.
Bower, K.N., et al., 1994: A parametrization of warm clouds for use in
atmospheric general circulation models. J. Atmos. Sci., 51, 2722–2732.
BP, 2006: Quantifying Energy: BP Statistical Review of World Energy June
2006. BP p.l.c., London, 45 pp., http://www.bp.com/productlanding.
do?categoryId=6842&contentId=7021390.
Bradford, D.F., 2001: Global change: time, money and tradeoffs. Nature,
410, 649–650, doi:10.1038/35070707.
Brasseur, G., and C. Granier, 1992: Mount Pinatubo aerosols,
chlorofl uorocarbons and ozone depletion. Science, 257, 1239–1242.
Brenguier, J.L., H. Pawlowska, and L. Schuller, 2003: Cloud microphysical
and radiative properties for parametrization and satellite monitoring of
the indirect effect of aerosol on climate. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D15),
8632, doi:10.1029/2002JD002682.
Brenguier, J.L., et al., 2000a: Radiative properties of boundary layer
clouds: droplet effective radius versus number concentration. J. Atmos.
Sci., 57, 803–821.
Brenguier, J.L., et al., 2000b: An overview of the ACE-2 CLOUDYCOLUMN
closure experiment. Tellus, 52B, 815–827.
Bréon, F-M., and M. Doutriaux-Boucher, 2005: A comparison of cloud
droplet radii measured from space. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote. Sens.,
43, 1796–1805, doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.852838.
Bréon, F.-M., D. Tanré, and S. Generoso, 2002: Aerosol effect on cloud
droplet size monitored from satellite. Science, 295, 834–838.
Broccoli, A.J., et al., 2003: Twentieth-century temperature and precipitation
trends in ensemble climate simulations including natural and
anthropogenic forcing. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D24), 4798, doi:10.1029/
2003JD003812.
Brock, C.A., et al., 2004: Particle characteristics following cloud-modifi ed
transport from Asia to North America. J. Geophys. Res., 109, 1–17.
Brovkin, V.M., et al., 2004. Role of land cover changes for atmospheric
CO2 increase and climate change during the last 150 years. Global
Change Biol., 10, 1253–1266.
Brovkin, V.M., et al., 2006: Biogeophysical effects of historical land
cover changes simulated by six earth system models of intermediate
complexity. Clim. Dyn., 26(6), 587–600.
Cakmur, R.V., et al., 2006: Constraining the magnitude of the global dust
cycle by minimizing the difference between a model and observations.
J. Geophys. Res., 111, doi:10.1029/2005JD005791.
Campbell, J.R., et al., 2003: Micropulse Lidar observations of tropospheric
aerosols over northeastern South Africa during the ARREX and
SAFARI-2000 dry season experiments. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13),
8497, doi:10.1029/2002JD002563.
Carslaw, K.S., R.G. Harrison, and J. Kirkby, 2002: Atmospheric science:
Cosmic rays, clouds, and climate. Science, 298, 1732–1737.
Chapman, G.A., A.M. Cookson, and J.J. Dobias, 1996: Variations in total
solar irradiance during solar cycle 22. J. Geophys. Res., 101, 13541–
Chase, T.N., et al., 2000: Simulated impacts of historical land cover
changes on global climate in northern winter. Clim. Dyn., 16, 93–105.
Chen, Y., and J.E. Penner, 2005: Uncertainty analysis of the fi rst indirect
aerosol effect. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 2935–2948.
Chen, Y.-H., and R.G. Prinn, 2005: Atmospheric modelling of high- and
low-frequency methane observations: Importance of interannually
varying transport. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D10303, doi:10.1029/
2004JD005542.
Chen, Y.-H., and R.G. Prinn, 2006: Estimation of atmospheric methane
emissions between 1996-2001 using a 3D global chemical transport
model. J. Geophys. Res., 111, D10307, doi:10.1029/2005JD006058.
Chiapello, I., C. Moulin, and J.M. Prospero, 2005: Understanding the longterm
variability of African dust transport across the Atlantic as recorded
in both Barbados surface concentrations and large-scale Total Ozone
Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) optical thickness. J. Geophys. Res.,
110, D18S10, doi:10.1029/2004JD005132.
Chipperfi eld, M.P., W.J. Randel, G.E. Bodeker, and P. Johnston, 2003:
Global ozone: past and future. In: Scientifi c Assessment of Ozone
Depletion: 2002 [Ennis, C.A. (ed.)]. World Meteorological Organization,
Geneva, pp. 4.1–4.90.
Chou, M.-D., P.-K. Chan, and M. Wang, 2002: Aerosol radiative forcing
derived from SeaWiFS-retrieved aerosol optical properties. J. Atmos.
Sci., 59, 748–757.
Christiansen, B., 1999: Radiative forcing and climate sensitivity: the ozone
experience. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 125, 3011–3035.
Christopher, S.A., and J. Zhang, 2004: Cloud-free shortwave aerosol
radiative effect over oceans: strategies for identifying anthropogenic
forcing from Terra satellite measurements. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31,
L18101, doi:10.1029/2004GL020510.
Christopher, S.A., J. Zhang, Y.J. Kaufman, and L. Remer, 2006: Satellitebased
assessment of the top of the atmosphere anthropogenic aerosol
radiative forcing over cloud-free oceans. Geophys Res. Lett., 111,
L15816, doi:10.1029/2005GL025535.
Chu, D.A., et al., 2002: Validation of MODIS aerosol optical depth retrieval
over land. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(12), doi:10.1029/2001GL013205.
Chu, D.A., et al., 2005: Evaluation of aerosol properties over ocean from
Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) during ACEAsia.
J. Geophys. Res., 110, D07308, doi:10.1029/2004JD005208.
Chuang, C.C., and J.E. Penner, 1995: Effects of anthropogenic sulfate on
cloud drop nucleation and optical properties. Tellus, 47B, 566–577.
Chuang, C.C., et al., 1997: An assessment of the radiative effects of
anthropogenic sulfate. J. Geophys. Res., 102(D3), 3761–3778.
Chuang, C.C., et al., 2002: Cloud susceptibility and the fi rst aerosol
indirect forcing: Sensitivity to black carbon and aerosol concentrations.
J. Geophys. Res., 107(D21), 4564, doi:10.1029/2000JD000215.
Chuang, P.Y., 2003: Measurement of the timescale of hygroscopic growth
for atmospheric aerosols. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D9), 5–13.
Chung, C.E., V. Ramanathan, D. Kim, and I.A. Podgorny, 2005: Global
anthropogenic aerosol direct forcing derived from satellite and groundbased
observations. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D24207, doi:10.1029/
2005JD006356.
Chung, S.H., and J.H. Seinfeld, 2002: Global distribution and climate
forcing of carbonaceous aerosols. J. Geophys. Res., 107, doi:10.1029/
2001JD001397.
Chylek, P., and J. Wong, 1995: Effect of absorbing aerosols on global
radiation budget. Geophys. Res. Lett., 22(8), 929–931.
Chylek, P., B. Henderson, and M. Mishchenko, 2003: Aerosol radiative
forcing and the accuracy of satellite aerosol optical depth retrieval. J.
Geophys. Res., 108(D24), 4764, doi:10.1029/2003JD004044.
Clarke, A.D., et al., 2004: Size distributions and mixtures of dust and black
carbon aerosol in Asian outfl ow: Physiochemistry and optical properties.
J. Geophys. Res., 109, D15S09, doi:10.1029/2003JD004378.
Claquin, T., M. Schulz, and Y. Balkanski, 1999: Modeling the mineralogy
of atmospheric dust. J. Geophys. Res., 104(D18), 22243–22256.
Coen, M.C., et al., 2004: Saharan dust events at the Jungfraujoch: detection
by wavelength dependence of the single scattering albedo and fi rst
climatology analysis. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4, 2465–2480.
Collins, W.D., et al., 2001: Simulating aerosols using a chemical transport
model with assimilation of satellite aerosol retrievals: Methodology for
INDOEX. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D7), 7313–7336.
Collins, W.D., et al., 2006: Radiative forcing by well-mixed greenhouse
gases: Estimates from climate models in the IPCC AR4. J. Geophys.
Res., 111, D14317, doi:10.1029/2005JD006713.
Collins, W.J., R.G. Derwent, C.E. Johnson, and D.S. Stevenson, 2002:
The oxidation of organic compounds in the troposphere and their global
warming potentials. Clim. Change, 52, 453–479.
Considine, D.B., J.E. Rosenfi eld, and E.L. Fleming, 2001: An interactive
model study of the infl uence of the Mount Pinatubo aerosol on
stratospheric methane and water trends. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D21),
27711–27727.
Conway, T.J., et al., 1994: Evidence for interannual variability of the
carbon cycle from the NOAA/CMDL sampling network. J. Geophys.
Res., 99(D11), 22831–22855.
Cook, J., and E.J. Highwood, 2004: Climate response to tropospheric
absorbing aerosols in an intermediate general-circulation model. Q. J.
R. Meteorol. Soc., 130, 175–191.
Cooke, W.F., V. Ramaswamy, and P. Kasibhatla, 2002: A general circulation
model study of the global carbonaceous aerosol distribution. J. Geophys.
Res., 107(D16), doi:10.1029/2001JD001274.
Cooke, W.F., C. Liousse, H. Cachier, and J. Feichter, 1999: Construction
of a 1° x 1° fossil fuel emission data set for carbonaceous aerosol
and implementation and radiative impact in the ECHAM4 model. J.
Geophys. Res., 104(D18), 22137–22162.
Coughlin, K., and K.K. Tung, 2004: Eleven-year solar cycle signal
throughout the lower atmosphere. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D21105,
doi:10.1029/2004JD004873.
Cox, P.M., et al., 1999: The impact of new land surface physics on the
GCM simulation of climate and climate sensitivity. Clim. Dyn. 15,
183–203.
Cramer, W., et al., 2001: Global response of terrestrial ecosystem structure
and function to CO2 and climate change: Results from six dynamic
global vegetation models. Global Change Biol., 7, 357–373.
Crooks, S.A., and L.J. Gray, 2005: Characterization of the 11-year solar
signal using a multiple regression analysis of the ERA-40 dataset. J.
Clim., 18, 996–1015.
Crutzen, P.J., 2004: New directions: the growing urban heat and pollution
“island” effect - impact on chemistry and climate. Atmos. Environ., 38,
3539–3540.
Cunnold, D.M., et al., 2002: In situ measurements of atmospheric methane
at GAGE/AGAGE sites during 1985-2000 and resulting source
inferences. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D14), doi:10.1029/2001JD001226.
Cunnold, D.M., et al., 2004: Comment on “Enhanced upper stratospheric
ozone: Sign of recovery or solar cycle effect?” by W. Steinbrecht et al. J.
Geophys. Res., 109, D14305, doi:10.1029/2004JD004826.
Cziczo, D.J., D.M. Murphy, P.K. Hudson, and D.S. Thompson, 2004:
Single particle measurements of the chemical composition of cirrus
ice residue from CRYSTAL-FACE. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D04201,
doi:10.1029/2003JD004032.
Dameris, M., et al., 2005: Long-term changes and variability in a transient
simulation with a chemistry-climate model employing realistic forcing.
Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 5, 2121–2145.
Daniel, J.S., S. Solomon, and D.L. Albritton, 1995: On the evaluation of
halocarbon radiative forcing and global warming potentials. J. Geophys.
Res., 100(D1), 1271–1286, doi:10.1029/94JD02516.
de Ridder, K., and H. Gallée, 1998: Land surface-induced regional climate
change in southern Israel. J. Appl. Meteorol., 37, 1470–1485.
Decesari, S., M.C. Facchini, S. Fuzzi, and E. Tagliavini, 2000:
Characterization of water-soluble organic compounds in atmospheric
aerosol: a new approach. J. Geophys. Res., 105(D1), 1481–1489.
Decesari, S., et al., 2001: Chemical features and seasonal variation of fi ne
aerosol water-soluble organic compounds in the Po Valley, Italy. Atmos.
Environ., 35, 3691–3699.
Del Genio, A.D., M.S. Yao, and K.-W. Lo, 1996: A prognostic cloud water
parametrization for global climate models. J. Clim., 9, 270–304.
Delworth, T.L., V. Ramaswamy, and G.L. Stenchikov, 2005: The impact
of aerosols on simulated ocean temperature and heat content in the 20th
century. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L24709, doi:10.1029/2005GL024457.
den Elzen, M., et al., 2005. Analysing countries’ contribution to
climate change: Scientifi c and policy-related choices. Environ. Sci.
Technol., 8(6), 614–636.
Dentener, F., et al., 2006: Emissions of primary aerosol and precursor gases
in the years 2000 and 1750 - prescribed data-sets for AeroCom. Atmos.
Chem. Phys. Discuss., 6, 2703–2763.
Derwent, R.G., W.J. Collins, C.E. Johnson, and D.S. Stevenson, 2001:
Transient behaviour of tropospheric ozone precursors in a global 3-D
CTM and their indirect greenhouse effects. Clim. Change, 49, 463–
Deshler, T., et al., 2003: Thirty years of in situ stratospheric aerosol
size distribution measurements from Laramie, Wyoming (41N),
using balloon-borne instruments. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D5), 4167,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002514.
Deuzé, J.L., et al., 2000: Estimate of the aerosol properties over the ocean
with POLDER. J. Geophys. Res., 105, 15329–15346.
Deuzé, J.L., et al., 2001: Remote sensing of aerosols over land surfaces
from POLDER-ADEOS-1 polarized measurements. J. Geophys. Res.,
106, 4913–4926.
Dewitte, S., D. Crommelynck, S. Mekaoui, and A. Joukoff, 2005:
Measurement and uncertainty of the long-term total solar irradiance
trend. Sol. Phys., 224, 209–216.
Diab, R.D., et al., 2004: Tropospheric ozone climatology over Irene, South
Africa, from 1990 to 1994 and 1998 to 2002. J. Geophys. Res., 109,
D20301, doi:10.1029/2004JD004793.
Dlugokencky, E.J., K.A. Masarie, P.M. Lang, and P.P. Tans, 1998:
Continuing decline in the growth rate of atmospheric methane. Nature,
393, 447–450.
Dlugokencky, E.J., et al., 1996: Changes in CH4 and CO growth rates after
the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo and their link with changes in tropical
tropospheric UV fl ux. Geophys. Res. Lett., 23(20), 2761–2764.
Dlugokencky, E.J., et al., 2001: Measurements of an anomalous global
methane increase during 1998. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(3), 499–502.
Dlugokencky, E.J., et al., 2003: Atmospheric methane levels off: Temporary
pause or a new steady-state? Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(19), doi:10.1029/
2003GL018126.
Dlugokencky, E.J., et al., 2005: Conversion of NOAA CMDL atmospheric
dry air CH4 mole fractions to a gravimetrically prepared standard scale.
J. Geophys. Res., 110, D18306, doi:10.1029/2005JD006035.
Döll, P., 2002: Impact of climate change and variability on irrigation
requirements: a global perspective. Clim. Change, 54, 269–293.
Douglass, A., M. Schoeberl, R. Rood, and S. Pawson, 2003: Evaluation
of transport in the lower tropical stratosphere in a global chemistry
and transport model. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D9), 4259, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002696.
Douglass, D.H., and B.D. Clader, 2002: Climate sensitivity of the Earth to
solar irradiance. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(16), 33–36.
Dubovik, O., and M.D. King, 2000: A fl exible inversion algorithm
for retrieval of aerosol optical properties from Sun and sky radiance
measurements. J. Geophys. Res., 105, 20673–20696.
Dubovik, O., et al., 1998: Single-scattering albedo of smoke retrieved
from the sky radiance and solar transmittance measured from ground. J.
Geophys. Res., 103(D24), 31903–31923.
Dubovik, O., et al., 2000: Accuracy assessments of aerosol optical
properties retrieved from Aerosol Robotic Network (AERONET) Sun
and sky radiance measurements. J. Geophys. Res., 105, 9791–9806.
Dubovik, O., et al., 2002: Variability of absorption and optical properties
of key aerosol types observed in worldwide locations. J. Atmos. Sci.,
59, 590–608.
Dufresne, L.-L., et al., 2005: Contrasts in the effects on climate of
anthropogenic sulfate aerosols between the 20th and the 21st century.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L21703, doi:10.1029/2005GL023619.
Duncan, B.N., et al., 2003: Indonesian wildfi res of 1997: Impact on
tropospheric chemistry. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D15), 4458, doi:10.1029/
2002JD003195.
Dusek, U., et al., 2006: Size matters more than chemistry for cloudnucleating
ability of aerosol particles. Science, 312, 1375–1378.
Dziembowski, W.A., P.R. Goode, and J. Schou, 2001: Does the sun shrink
with increasing magnetic activity? Astrophys. J., 553, 897–904.
Eagan, R., P.V. Hobbs, and L. Radke, 1974: Measurements of CCN and
cloud droplet size distributions in the vicinity of forest fi res. J. Appl.
Meteorol., 13, 537–553.
Easter, R., et al., 2004: MIRAGE: Model description and evaluation of
aerosols and trace gases. J. Geophys. Res. 109, D20210, doi:10.1029/
2004JD004571.
Eatough, D.J., et al., 2003: Semivolatile particulate organic material in
southern Africa during SAFARI 2000. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13),
8479, doi:10.1029/2002JD002296.
Eck, T.F., et al., 2003: Variability of biomass burning aerosol optical
characteristics in southern Africa during the SAFARI 2000 dry season
campaign and a comparison of single scattering albedo estimates
from radiometric measurements. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13), 8477,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002321.
Edwards, D.P., et al., 2004: Observations of carbon monoxide and aerosols
from the Terra satellite: Northern Hemisphere variability. J. Geophys.
Res., 109, D24202, doi:10.1029/2004JD004727.
Ehhalt, D.H., 1999: Gas phase chemistry of the troposphere. In: Global
Aspects of Atmospheric Chemistry, Vol. 6 [baumgaertel, H., W.
Gruenbein, and F. Hensel (eds.)]. Springer Verlag, Darmstadt, pp. 21–
EPA, 2003: National Air Quality and Emissions Trends Report, 2003
Special Studies Edition. Publication No. EPA 454/R-03-005, U. S.
Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, 190pp, http://www.
epa.gov/air/airtrends/aqtrnd03/
Erlick, C., L.M. Russell, and V. Ramaswamy, 2001: A microphysics-based
investigation of the radiative effects of aerosol-cloud interactions for
two MAST Experiment case studies. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D1), 1249–
Ervens, B., G. Feingold, and S.M. Kreidenweis, 2005: The infl uence of
water-soluble organic carbon on cloud drop number concentration. J.
Geophys. Res., 110, D18211, doi:10.1029/2004JD005634.
Etheridge, D.M., L.P. Steele, R.J. Francey, and R.L. Langenfelds, 1998:
Atmospheric methane between 1000 A.D. and present: Evidence of
anthropogenic emissions and climatic variability. J. Geophys. Res.,
103(D13), 15979–15993.
Etheridge, D.M., et al., 1996: Natural and anthropogenic changes in
atmospheric CO2 over the last 1000 years from air in Antarctic ice and
fi rn. J. Geophys. Res., 101(D2), 4115–4128.
Facchini, M.C., M. Mircea, S. Fuzzi, and R.J. Charlson, 1999: Cloud
albedo enhancement by surface-active organic solutes in growing
droplets. Nature, 401, 257–259.
Facchini, M.C., et al., 2000: Surface tension of atmospheric wet aerosol
and cloud/fog droplets in relation to their organic carbon content and
chemical composition. Atmos. Environ., 34, 4853–4857.
Feichter, J., E. Roeckner, U. Lohmann, and B. Liepert, 2004: Nonlinear
aspects of the climate response to greenhouse gas and aerosol forcing.
J. Clim., 17, 2384–2398.
Feingold, G., 2003: Modelling of the fi rst indirect effect: Analysis
of measurement requirements. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(19), 1997,
doi:10.1029/2003GL017967.
Feingold, G., and P.Y. Chuang, 2002: Analysis of infl uence of fi lm-forming
compounds on droplet growth: Implications for cloud microphysical
processes and climate. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 2006–2018.
Feingold, G., R. Boers, B. Stevens, and W.R. Cotton, 1997: A modelling
study of the effect of drizzle on cloud optical depth and susceptibility. J.
Geophys. Res., 102(D12), 13527–13534.
Feingold, G., W.L. Eberhard, D.E. Veron, and M. Previdi, 2003: First
measurements of the Twomey indirect effect using ground-based remote
sensors. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(6), 1287, doi:10.1029/2002GL016633.
Feng, Y., and J. Penner. 2007: Global modeling of nitrate and ammonium:
Interaction of aerosols and tropospheric chemistry. J. Geophys. Res.,
112(D01304), doi:10.1029/2005JD006404.
Ferretti, D.F., D.C. Lowe, R.J. Martin, and G.W. Brailsford, 2000: A new
GC-IRMS technique for high precision, N2O-free analysis of δ13C and
δ18O in atmospheric CO2 from small air samples. J. Geophys. Res.,
105(D5), 6709–6718.
Field, C.B., R.B. Jackson, and H.A. Mooney, 1995: Stomatal responses
to increased CO2: implications from the plant to the global scale. Plant
Cell Environ., 18, 1214–1225.
Fioletov, V.E., et al., 2002: Global and zonal total ozone variations
estimated from ground-based and satellite measurements: 1964-2000. J.
Geophys. Res., 107(D22), 4647, doi:10.1029/2001JD001350.
Formenti, P., et al., 2003: Inorganic and carbonaceous aerosols during
the Southern African Regional Science Initiative (SAFARI 2000)
experiment: Chemical characteristics, physical properties, and emission
data or smoke from African biomass burning. J. Geophys. Res.,
108(D13), 8488, doi:10.1029/2002JD002408.
Forster, P.M.F., and K.P. Shine, 1999: Stratospheric water vapour changes
as a possible contributor to observed stratospheric cooling. Geophys.
Res. Lett., 26(21), 3309–3312.
Forster, P.M.F., and K. Tourpali, 2001: Effect of tropopause height changes
on the calculation of ozone trends and their radiative forcing. J. Geophys.
Res., 106(D11), 12241–12251.
Forster, P.M.F., and K.P. Shine, 2002: Assessing the climate impact
of trends in stratospheric water vapor. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(6),
doi:10.1029/2001GL013909.
Forster, P.M.F., and M.J. Joshi, 2005: The role of halocarbons in the
climate change of the troposphere and stratosphere. Clim. Change, 70,
249–266.
Forster, P.M.F., and K.E. Taylor, 2006: Climate forcings and climate
sensitivities diagnosed from coupled climate model integrations. J.
Clim., 19, 6181–6194.
Forster, P.M.F., M. Blackburn, R. Glover, and K.P. Shine, 2000: An
examination of climate sensitivity for idealised climate change
experiments in an intermediate general circulation model. Clim. Dyn.,
16, 833–849.
Forster, P.M.F., et al., 2005: Resolving uncertainties in the radiative forcing
of HFC-134s. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiative Transfer, 93, 447–460.
Foster, S.S., 2004: Reconstruction of Solar Irradiance Variations for use
in Studies of Global Climate Change: Application of Recent SOHO
Observations with Historic Data from the Greenwich Observatory. PhD
Thesis, University of Southampton, Faculty of Science, Southampton,
231 p.
Foukal, P., C. Frohlich, H. Spruit, and T.M.L. Wigley, 2006: Variations in
solar luminosity and their effect on the Earth’s climate. Nature, 443,
161–166.
Francey, R.J., et al., 1995: Changes in oceanic and terrestrial carbon uptake
since 1982. Nature, 373, 326–330.
Francey, R.J., et al., 1999: A history of δ13C in atmospheric CH4 from
the Cape Grim Air Archive and Antarctic fi rn air. J. Geophys. Res.,
104(D19), 23633–23643.
Frankenberg, C., et al., 2005: Assessing methane emissions from global
space-borne observations. Science, 308, 1010–1014.
Free, M., and J. Angell, 2002: Effect of volcanoes on the vertical
temperature profi le in radiosonde data. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D10),
doi:10.1029/2001JD001128.
Friedl, M.A., et al., 2002: Global land cover mapping from MODIS:
algorithms and early results. Remote Sens. Environ., 83, 287–302.
Fröhlich, C., and J. Lean, 2004: Solar radiative output and its variability:
Evidence and mechanisms. Astron. Astrophys. Rev., 12, 273–320.
Fueglistaler, S., H. Wernli, and T. Peter, 2004: Tropical troposphere-tostratosphere
transport inferred from trajectory calculations. J. Geophys.
Res., 109, D03108, doi:10.1029/2003JD004069.
Fuglestvedt, J.S., T.K. Berntsen, O. Godal, and T. Skodvin, 2000: Climate
implications of GWP-based reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 27(3), 409–412, doi:10.1029/1999GL010939.
Fuglestvedt, J.S., et al., 1999: Climatic forcing of nitrogen oxides through
changes in tropospheric ozone and methane; global 3D model studies.
Atmos. Environ., 33, 961–977.
Fuglestvedt, J.S., et al., 2003: Metrics of climate change: assessing radiative
forcing and emission indices. Clim. Change, 58, 267–331.
Fuller, K.A., W.C. Malm, and S.M. Kreidenweis, 1999: Effects of mixing
on extinction by carbonaceous particles. J. Geophys. Res., 104(D13),
15941–15954.
Fuzzi, S., et al., 2001; A simplifi ed model of the water soluble organic
component of atmospheric aerosols. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(21), 4079–
Gao, F., et al., 2005: MODIS bidirectional refl ectance distribution function
and albedo Climate Modeling Grid products and the variability of
albedo for major global vegetation types. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D01104,
doi:10.1029/2004JD005190.
Gauss, M., et al., 2006: Radiative forcing since preindustrial times due to
ozone changes in the troposphere and the lower stratosphere. Atmos.
Chem. Phys., 6, 575–599.
Gedney, N., et al., 2006: Detection of a direct carbon dioxide effect in
continental river runoff records. Nature, 439, 835–838, doi:10.1038/
nature04504.
Geller, M.A., and S.P. Smyshlyaev, 2002: A model study of total ozone
evolution 1979-2000: The role of individual natural and anthropogenic
effects. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(22), 5–8.
Geogdzhayev, I.V., et al., 2002: Global two-channel AVHRR retrievals of
aerosol properties over the ocean for the period of NOAA-9 observations
and preliminary retrievals using NOAA-7 and NOAA-11 data. J. Atmos.
Sci., 59, 262–278.
Ghan, S., et al., 2001: Evaluation of aerosol direct radiative forcing in
MIRAGE. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D6), 5295–5316.
Gillett, N.P., M.F. Wehner, S.F.B. Tett, and A.J. Weaver, 2004: Testing the
linearity of the response to combined greenhouse gas and sulfate aerosol
forcing. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L14201, doi:10.1029/2004GL020111.
Gleisner, H., and P. Thejll, 2003: Patterns of tropospheric response to
solar variability. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(13), 1711, doi:10.1029/
2003GL017129.
Godal, O., 2003: The IPCC assessment of multidisciplinary issues: The
choice of greenhouse gas indices. Clim. Change, 58, 243–249.
Gohar, L.K., G. Myhre, and K.P. Shine, 2004: Updated radiative forcing
estimates of four halocarbons. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D01107,
doi:10.1029/2003JD004320.
Goloub, P., and O. Arino, 2000: Verifi cation of the consistency of POLDER
aerosol index over land with ATSR-2/ERS-2 fi re product. Geophys. Res.
Lett., 27(6), 899–902.
Goloub, P., et al., 1999: Validation of the fi rst algorithm applied for deriving
the aerosol properties over the ocean using the POLDER/ADEOS
measurements. IEEE Trans. Remote Sens., 37, 1586–1596.
Goosse, H., H. Renssen, A. Timmermann, and R.S. Bradley, 2005: Internal
and forced climate variability during the last millennium: a model-data
comparison using ensemble simulations. Quat. Sci. Rev., 24, 1345–
Gordon, L.J., et al., 2005: Human modifi cation of global water vapor fl ows
from the land surface. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 102, 7612–7617.
Govindasamy, B., P.B. Duffy, and K. Caldeira, 2001a: Land use changes
and Northern Hemisphere cooling. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(2), 291–
Govindasamy, B., et al., 2001b: Limitations of the equivalent CO2
approximation in climate change simulations. J. Geophys. Res.,
106(D19), 22593–22603.
Gray, L.J., J.D. Haigh, and R.G. Harrison, 2005: Review of the Infl uences
of Solar Changes on the Earth’s Climate. Hadley Centre Technical Note
No. 62, Met Offi ce, Exeter, 82 pp.
Gregory, J.M., et al., 2004: A new method for diagnosing radiative forcing
and climate sensitivity. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L03205, doi:10.1029/
2003GL018747.
Gunn, R., and B.B. Phillips, 1957: An experimental investigation of the
effect of air pollution on the initiation of rain. J. Meteorol., 14(3), 272–
Hadjinicolaou, P., J.A. Pyle, and N.R.P. Harris, 2005: The recent turnaround
in stratospheric ozone over northern middle latitudes: a dynamical
modeling perspective. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L12821, doi:10.1029/
2005GL022476.
Haigh, J.D., 2003: The effects of solar variability on the Earth’s climate.
Phil. Trans. R. Soc. London Ser. A, 361, 95–111.
Hall, J.C., and G.W. Lockwood, 2004: The chromospheric activity and
variability of cycling and fl at activity solar-analog stars. Astrophys. J.,
614, 942–946.
Hamilton, J.F., et al., 2004: Partially oxidised organic components in urban
aerosol using GCXGC-TOF/MS. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4, 1279–1290.
Hammitt, J.K., A.K. Jain, J.L. Adams, and D.J. Wuebbles, 1996: A welfarebased
index for assessing environmental effects of greenhouse-gas
emissions. Nature, 381, 301–303.
Han, Q., W.B. Rossow, J. Zeng, and R. Welch, 2002: Three different
behaviors of liquid water path of water clouds in aerosol-cloud
interactions. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 726–735.
Hansen, J., and M. Sato, 2001: Trends of measured climate forcing agents.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 98, 14778–14783.
Hansen, J., and L. Nazarenko, 2004: Soot climate forcing via snow and ice
albedos. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 101, 423–428.
Hansen, J., and M. Sato, 2004: Greenhouse gas growth rates. Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 101, 16109–16114.
Hansen, J., M. Sato, and R. Reudy, 1995: Long-term changes of the diurnal
temperature cycle: Implications about mechanisms of global climate
change. Atmos. Res., 37, 175–209.
Hansen, J., M. Sato, and R. Ruedy, 1997: Radiative forcing and climate
response. J. Geophys. Res., 102(D6), 6831–6864.
Hansen, J., et al., 2000: Global warming in the twenty-fi rst century: An
alternative scenario. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 97, 9875–9880.
Hansen, J., et al., 2002: Climate forcings in Goddard Institute for Space
Studies SI2000 simulations. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D18), 4347,
doi:10.1029/2001JD001143.
Hansen, J., et al., 2005: Effi cacy of climate forcings. J. Geophys. Res., 110,
D18104, doi:10.1029/2005JD005776.
Hansen, M.C., and B. Reed, 2000: A comparison of the IGBP DISCover
and University of Maryland 1km global land cover products. Int. J.
Remote Sens., 21, 1365–1373.
Harder, J., et al., 2005: The spectral irradiance monitor I. Scientifi c
requirements, instrument design and operation modes. Sol. Phys., 230,
141–167.
Harding, R.J., and J.W. Pomeroy, 1996: The energy balance of the winter
boreal landscape. J. Clim., 9, 2778–2787.
Harnisch, J., R.R. Borchers, P.P. Fabian, and M.M. Maiss, 1996:
Tropospheric trends for CF4 and C2F6 since 1982 derived from SF6
dated stratospheric air. Geophys. Res. Lett., 23(10), 1099–1102.
Harries, J.E., H.E. Brindley, P.J. Sagoo, and R.J. Bantges, 2001: Increases
in greenhouse forcing inferred from the outgoing longwave radiation
spectra of the Earth in 1970 and 1997. Nature, 410, 355–357.
Harrison, R.G., and K.S. Carslaw, 2003: Ion-aerosol-cloud processes in the
lower atmosphere. Rev. Geophys., 41, 1021.
Harrison, R.G., and D.B. Stephenson, 2006: Empirical evidence for
a nonlinear effect of galactic cosmic rays on clouds. Proc. Roy. Soc.
London Ser. A, 462, 1221–1233.
Hartmann, D.L., M.E. Ockert-Bell, and M.L. Michelsen, 1992: The effect
of cloud type on Earth’s energy balance: global analysis. J. Clim., 5,
1281–1304.
Hashvardhan, S.E. Schwartz, C.E. Benkovitz, and G. Guo, 2002: Aerosol
infl uence on cloud microphysics examined by satellite measurements
and chemical transport modelling. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 714–725.
Hauglustaine, D.A., and G.P. Brasseur, 2001: Evolution of tropospheric
ozone under anthropogenic activities and associated radiative forcing
of climate. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D23), 32337–32360, doi:10.1029/
2001JD900175.
Haxeltine, A., and I.C. Prentice, 1996: BIOME3: An equilibrium terrestrial
biosphere model based on ecophysiological constraints, resource
availability, and competition among plant functional types. Global
Biogeochem. Cycles, 10(4), 693–709.
Haywood, J.M., and K.P. Shine, 1995: The effect of anthropogenic sulfate
and soot aerosol on the clear sky planetary radiation budget. Geophys.
Res. Lett., 22(5), 603–606.
Haywood, J.M., and K.P. Shine. 1997: Multi-spectral calculations of the
direct radiative forcing of tropospheric sulphate and soot aerosols using
a column model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 123, 1907–1930.
Haywood, J.M., and O. Boucher, 2000: Estimates of the direct and indirect
radiative forcing due to tropospheric aerosols: A review. Rev. Geophys.,
38, 513–543.
Haywood, J.M., V. Ramaswamy, and B.J. Soden, 1999: Tropospheric
aerosol climate forcing in clear-sky satellite observations over the
oceans. Science, 283, 1299–1305.
Haywood, J.M., et al., 2003a: Comparison of aerosol size distributions,
radiative properties, and optical depths determined by aircraft
observations and Sun photometers during SAFARI 2000. J. Geophys.
Res., 108(D13), 8471, doi:10.1029/2002JD002250.
Haywood, J.M., et al., 2003b: The mean physical and optical properties of
regional haze dominated by biomass burning aerosol measured from the
C-130 aircraft during SAFARI 2000. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13), 8473,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002226.
Haywood, J.M, et al., 2003c: Radiative properties and direct radiative
effect of Saharan dust measured by the C-130 aircraft during SHADE:
1. Solar spectrum. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D18), 8577, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002687.
Haywood, J.M., et al., 2005: Can desert dust explain the outgoing longwave
radiation anomaly over the Sahara during July 2003? J. Geophys. Res.,
110, D05105, doi:10.1029/2004JD005232.
Heal, G., 1997: Discounting and climate change: an editorial comment.
Clim. Change, 37, 335–343.
Hegg, D.A., et al., 1997: Chemical apportionment of aerosol column
optical depth off the mid-Atlantic coast of the United States. J. Geophys.
Res., 102(D21), 25293–25303.
Hély, C., et al., 2003: Release of gaseous and particulate carbonaceous
compound from biomass burning during the SAFARI 2000 dry season
fi eld campaign. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13), 8470, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002482.
Hendricks, J., B. Kärcher, U. Lohmann, and M. Ponater, 2005: Do aircraft
black carbon emissions affect cirrus clouds on the global scale? Geophys.
Res. Lett., 32, L12814, doi:10.1029/2005GL022740.
Hendricks, J., et al., 2004: Simulating the global atmospheric black carbon
cycle: a revisit to the contribution of aircraft. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4,
2521–2541.
Herman, M., et al., 1997: Remote sensing of aerosols over land surfaces
including polarization measurements and application to POLDER
measurements. J. Geophys. Res., 102(D14), 17039–17050, doi:10.1029/
96JD02109.
Hess, M., P. Koepke, and I. Schult, 1998: Optical properties of aerosols
and clouds: the software package OPAC. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 79,
831–844.
Highwood, E.J., et al., 2003: Radiative properties and direct effect of
Saharan dust measured by the C-130 aircraft during Saharan Dust
Experiment (SHADE): 2. Terrestrial spectrum. J. Geophys. Res.,
108(D18), 8577, doi:10.1029/2002JD002552.
Higurashi, A., and T. Nakajima. 1999. Development of a two-channel
aerosol retrieval algorithm on a global scale using NOAA AVHRR. J.
Atmos. Sci., 56, 924–941.
Higurashi, A., et al., 2000: A study of global aerosol optical climatology
with two-channel AVHRR remote sensing. J. Clim., 13, 2011–2027.
Hirsch, A.I., et al., 2006: Inverse modeling estimates of the global nitrous
oxide surface fl ux from 1998–2001. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 20,
GB1008, doi:10.1029/2004GB002443.
Hirst, E., et al., 2001: Discrimination of micrometre-sized ice and supercooled
droplets in mixed-phase cloud. Atmos. Environ., 35, 33–47.
Hofmann, D., 2003: et al., Surface-based observations of volcanic emissions
to stratosphere. In: Volcanism and the Earth’s Atmosphere [Robock, A.,
and C. Oppenheimer (eds.)]. Geophysical Monograph 139, American
Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, pp. 57–73.
Holben, B.N., et al., 1998: AERONET: A federated instrument network
and data archive for aerosol characterization. Remote Sens. Environ.,
66, 1–16.
Holben, B.N., et al., 2001: An emerging ground-based aerosol climatology:
aerosol optical depth from AERONET. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D11),
12067–12097.
Holzer-Popp, T., M. Schroedter, and G. Gesell, 2002: Retrieving aerosol
optical depth and type in the boundary layer over land and ocean
from simultaneous GOME spectrometer and ATSR-2 radiometer
measurements - 2. Case study application and validation. J. Geophys.
Res., 107(D21), 4578, doi:10.1029/2002JD002777.
Hood, L.L., 2003: Thermal response of the tropical tropopause region to
solar ultraviolet variations. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 2215, doi:10.1029/
2003GL018364.
Houghton, R.A., 1999: The annual net fl ux of carbon to the atmosphere
from changes in land use 1850-1990. Tellus, 51B, 298–313.
Houghton, R.A., 2000: A new estimate of global sources and sinks of
carbon from land use change. Eos, 81(19), S281.
Houghton, R.A., 2003: Revised estimates of the annual net fl ux of carbon
to the atmosphere from changes in land use and land management.
Tellus, 55B, 378–390.
Houghton, R.A., et al., 1983: Changes in the carbon content of terrestrial
biota and soils between 1860 and 1980: a net release of CO2 to the
atmosphere. Ecol. Monogr., 53, 235–262, doi:10.2307/1942531.
Hoyt, D.V., and K.H. Schatten, 1993: A discussion of plausible solar
irradiance variations, 1700-1992. J. Geophys. Res., 98(A11), 18895–
Hsu, N.C., J.R. Herman, and C. Weaver, 2000: Determination of radiative
forcing of Saharan dust using combined TOMS and ERBE data. J.
Geophys. Res., 105(D16), 20649–20661.
Hsu, N.C., J.R. Herman, and S.C. Tsay, 2003: Radiative impacts from
biomass burning in the presence of clouds during boreal spring in southeast
Asia. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(5), 28, doi:10.1029/2002GL016485.
Huang, J., and R.G. Prinn, 2002: Critical evaluation of emissions of
potential new gases for OH estimation. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D24),
4784, doi:10.1029/2002JD002394.
Huebert, B.J., et al., 2003: An overview of ACE-Asia: Strategies for
quantifying the relationships between Asian aerosols and their
climatic impacts. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D23), 8633, doi:10.1029/
2003JD003550.
Hurley, M.D., et al., 2005: IR spectrum and radiative forcing of CF4
revisited. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D02102, doi:10.1029/2004JD005201.
Hurst, D.F., et al., 2004: Emissions of ozone-depleting substances in
Russia during 2001. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D14303, doi:10.1029/
2004JD004633.
Husar, R.B., J.M. Prospero, and L.L. Stowe, 1997: Characterization of
tropospheric aerosols over the oceans with the NOAA advanced very
high resolution radiometer optical thickness operational product. J.
Geophys. Res., 102(D14), 16889–16910.
Husar, R.B., et al., 2001: Asian dust events of April 1998. J. Geophys. Res.,
106(D16), 18317–18330.
Ichinose, T., K. Shimodozono, and K. Hanaki, 1999: Impact of
anthropogenic heat on urban climate in Tokyo. Atmos. Environ., 33,
3897–3909.
Ichoku, C., et al., 2003: MODIS observation of aerosols and estimation of
aerosol radiative forcing over southern Africa during SAFARI 2000. J.
Geophys. Res., 108(D13), 8499, doi:10.1029/2002JD002366.
Ignatov, A., and L. Stowe, 2002: Aerosol retrievals from individual
AVHRR channels. Part I: Retrieval algorithm and transition from Dave
to 6S Radiative Transfer Model. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 313–334.
IPCC, 1990: Climate Change: The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change Scientifi c Assessment [Houghton, J.T., G.J. Jenkins, and J.J.
Ephraums (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United
Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, 364 pp.
IPCC, 1999: Aviation and the Global Atmosphere: A Special Report of
IPCC Working Groups I and III [Penner, J.E., et al. (eds.)]. Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY,
USA, 373 pp.
IPCC, 2001: Climate Change 2001: The Scientifi c Basis. Contribution of
Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate Change [Houghton, J.T., et al. (eds.)]. Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY,
USA, 881 pp.
IPCC/TEAP, 2005: Special Report on Safeguarding the Ozone Layer and
the Global Climate System: Issues Related to Hydrofl uorocarbons and
Perfl uorocarbons [Metz, B., et al. (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, 488 pp.
Ito, A., and J.E. Penner, 2005: Historical emissions of carbonaceous aerosols
from biomass and fossil fuel burning for the period 1870–2000. Global
Biogeochem. Cycles, 19, GB2028, doi:10.1029/2004GB002374.
Iversen, T., and O. Seland, 2002: A scheme for process-tagged SO4 and BC
aerosols in NCAR CCM3: Validation and sensitivity to cloud processes.
J. Geophys. Res., 107(D24), 4751, doi:10.1029/2001JD000885.
Jacob, D.J., et al., 2005: Radiative Forcing of Climate Change. The
National Academies Press, Washington, DC, 207 pp.
Jacobson, M.Z., 1999: Isolating nitrated and aromatic aerosols and nitrated
aromatic gases as sources of ultraviolet light absorption. J. Geophys.
Res., 104(D3), 3527–3542.
Jacobson, M.Z., 2001a: Global direct radiative forcing due to
multicomponent anthropogenic and natural aerosols. J. Geophys. Res.,
106(D2), 1551–1568.
Jacobson, M.Z., 2001b: Strong radiative heating due to the mixing state of
black carbon in atmospheric aerosols. Nature, 409, 695–697.
Jacobson, M.Z., 2002: Control of fossil-fuel particulate black carbon
and organic matter, possibly the most effective method of slowing
global warming. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D19), 4410, doi:10.1029/
2001JD001376.
Jacobson, M.Z., 2004: Climate response of fossil fuel and biofuel soot,
accounting for soot’s feedback to snow and sea ice albedo and emissivity.
J. Geophys. Res., 109, D21201, doi:10.1029/2004JD004945.
Jaffe, D., et al., 2003: Increasing background ozone during spring on the
west coast of North America. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 1613, doi:10.1029/
2003GL017024.
Jensen, E.J., and O.B. Toon, 1997: The potential impact of soot particles
from aircraft exhaust on cirrus clouds. Geophys. Res. Lett., 24(3), 249–
Jeong, M.J., Z.Q. Li, D.A. Chu, and S.C. Tsay, 2005: Quality and
compatibility analyses of global aerosol products derived from the
advanced very high resolution radiometer and Moderate Resolution
Imaging Spectroradiometer. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D10S09, doi:10.1029/
2004JD004648.
Jiang, H., and G. Feingold, 2006: Effect of aerosol on warm convective
clouds: Aerosol-clouds-surface fl ux feedbacks in a new coupled
large eddy model. J. Geophys. Res., 111, D01202, doi:10.1029/
2005JD006138.
Jiang, H., G. Feingold, and W.R. Cotton, 2002: Simulations of aerosolcloud-
dynamical feedbacks resulting from of entrainment of aerosols
into the marine boundary layer during the Atlantic Stratocumulus
Transition Experiment. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D24), 4813, doi:10.1029/
2001JD001502.
Jirikowic, J.L., and P.E. Damon, 1994: The Medieval solar activity
maximum. Clim. Change, 26, 309–316.
Johnson, B.T., 2005: The semidirect aerosol effect: comparison of a singlecolumn
model with large eddy simulation for marine stratocumulus. J.
Clim., 18, 119–130.
Johnson, B.T., K.P. Shine, and P.M. Forster, 2004: The semi-direct aerosol
effect: Impact of absorbing aerosols on marine stratocumulus. Q. J. R.
Meteorol. Soc., 130, 1407–1422.
Jones, A., D.L. Roberts, and M.J. Woodage, 2001: Indirect sulphate aerosol
forcing in a climate model with an interactive sulphur cycle. J. Geophys.
Res., 106(D17), 20293–20301.
Jones, P.D., A. Moberg, T.J. Osborn, and K.R. Briffa, 2003: Surface
climate responses to explosive volcanic eruptions seen in long European
temperature records and mid-to-high latitude tree-ring density around
the Northern Hemisphere. In: Volcanism and the Earth’s Atmosphere
[Robock, A., and C. Oppenheimer (eds.)]. Geophysical Monograph 139,
American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, pp. 239–254.
Jonson, J.E., D. Simpson, H. Fagerli, and S. Solberg, 2005: Can we explain
the trends in European ozone levels? Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 5,
5957–5985.
Joos, F., et al., 1996. An effi cient and accurate representation of complex
oceanic and biospheric models of anthropogenic carbon uptake. Tellus,
48B, 397–417.
Joos, F., et al., 2001. Global warming feedbacks on terrestrial carbon
uptake under the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
emission scenarios. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 15, 891-908, 2001
Joshi, M.M., and K.P. Shine, 2003: A GCM study of volcanic eruptions as a
cause of increased stratospheric water vapor. J. Clim., 16, 3525–3534.
Joshi, M., et al., 2003: A comparison of climate response to different
radiative forcings in three general circulation models: Towards an
improved metric of climate change. Clim. Dyn., 20, 843–854.
Junge, C.E., 1975: The possible infl uence of aerosols on the general
circulation and climate and possible approaches for modelling. In:
The Physical Basis of Climate and Climate Modelling: Report of the
International Study Conference in Stockholm, 29 July-10 August
1974: organised by WMO and ICSU and supported by UNEP Global
Atmospheric Research Programme (GARP), WMO-ICSU Joint
Organising Committee. World Meteorological Organization, Geneva,
pp. 244–251.
Kahn, R., P. Banerjee, and D. McDonald, 2001: Sensitivity of multiangle
imaging to natural mixtures of aerosols over ocean. J. Geophys. Res.,
106(D16), 18219–18238.
Kahn, R.A., et al., 2005: Multiangle Imaging Spectroradiometer (MISR)
global aerosol optical depth validation based on 2 years of coincident
Aerosol Robotic Network (AERONET) observation. J. Geophys. Res.,
110, D10S04, doi:10.1029/2004JD004706.
Kalkstein, A.J., and R.C. Balling Jr., 2004: Impact of unusually clear
weather on United States daily temperature range following 9/11/2001.
Clim. Res., 26, 1–4.
Kanakidou, M., et al., 2005: Organic aerosol and global climate modelling:
a review. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 1053–1123.
Kandlikar, M., 1996: Indices for comparing greenhouse gas emissions:
integrating science and economics. Energy Econ., 18, 265–282.
Kapustin, V.N., et al., 2006: On the determination of a cloud condensation
nuclei from satellite: challenges and possibilities. J. Geophys. Res., 111,
D04202, doi:10.1029/2004JD005527.
Kärcher, B., 1999: Aviation-produced aerosols and contrails. Surv.
Geophys., 20, 113–167.
Kasischke, E.S., and J.E. Penner, 2004: Improving global estimates of
atmospheric emissions from biomass burning. J. Geophys. Res., 109,
D14S01, doi:10.1029/2004JD004972.
Kaufman, Y.J., C.J. Tucker, and R.L Mahoney, 1991: Fossil fuel and
biomass burning effect on climate: Heating or cooling? J. Clim., 4,
578–588.
Kaufman, Y.J., D. Tanré, and O. Boucher, 2002: A satellite view of aerosols
in the climate system. Nature, 419, 215–223.
Kaufman, Y.J., et al., 1997: Operational remote sensing of tropospheric
aerosols over the land from EOS-MODIS. J. Geophys. Res., 102(D14),
17051–17068.
Kaufman, Y.J., et al., 2001: Absorption of sunlight by dust as inferred from
satellite and ground-based remote sensing. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(8),
1479–1482.
Kaufman Y.J., et al., 2005a: Aerosol anthropogenic component estimated
from satellite data. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L17804, doi:10.1029/
2005GL023125.
Kaufman, Y.J., et al., 2005b: A critical examination of the residual cloud
contamination and diurnal sampling effects on MODIS estimates of
aerosol over ocean. IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote, 43(12), 2886–2897.
Keeling, C.D., and T.P. Whorf, 2005: Atmospheric CO2 records from sites
in the SIO air sampling network. In: Trends: A Compendium of Data
on Global Change. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak
Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN,
http://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/co2/sio-keel-fl ask/sio-keel-fl ask.html.
Keeling, C.D., A.F. Bollenbacher, and T.P. Whorf, 2005: Monthly
atmospheric 13C/12C isotopic ratios for 10 SIO stations. In: Trends: A
Compendium of Data on Global Change. Carbon Dioxide Information
Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of
Energy, Oak Ridge, TN, http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/co2/iso-sio/iso-sio.
html.
Keeling, C.D., T.P. Whorf, M. Wahlen, and J. van der Plicht, 1995:
Interannual extremes in the rate of rise of atmospheric carbon dioxide
since 1980. Nature, 375, 666–670.
Keeling, R.F., and S.R. Shertz, 1992: Seasonal and interannual variations
in atmospheric oxygen and implications for the global carbon cycle.
Nature, 358, 723–727.
Keeling, R.F., S.C. Piper, and M. Heimann, 1996: Global and hemispheric
CO2 sinks deduced from changes in atmospheric O2 concentration.
Nature, 381, 218–221.
Keil, A., and J.M. Haywood, 2003: Solar radiative forcing by biomass
burning aerosol particles during SAFARI 2000: A case study based on
measured aerosol and cloud properties. J. Geophys. Res., 108 (D13),
8467, doi:10.1029/2002JD002315.
Keppler, F., J.T.G. Hamilton, M. Brass, and T. Röckmann, 2006: Methane
emissions from terrestrial plants under aerobic conditions. Nature, 439,
187–191, doi:10.1038/nature04420.
Kernthaler, S.C., R. Toumi, and J.D. Haigh, 1999: Some doubts concerning
a link between cosmic ray fl uxes and global cloudiness. Geophys. Res.
Lett., 26(7), 863–866, doi:10.1029/1999GL900121.
Khainroutdinov, M., and Y. Kogan, 2000: A new cloud physics
parametrization in a large-eddy simulation model of marine
stratocumulus. Mon. Weather Rev., 128, 229–243.
Khalil, M.A.K., et al., 2003: Atmospheric perfl uorocarbons. Environ. Sci.
Technol., 37, 4358–4361.
Kiehl, J.T., et al., 2000: Radiative forcing due to sulfate aerosols from
simulations with the National Center for Atmospheric Research
Community Climate Model, Version 3. J. Geophys. Res., 105(D1),
1441–1457.
Kim, B.-G., S.E. Schwartz, and M.A. Miller, 2003: Effective radius of
cloud droplets by ground-based remote sensing: Relationship to aerosol.
J. Geophys. Res., 108(D23), doi:10.1029/2003JD003721.
Kinne, S., et al., 2003: Monthly averages of aerosol properties: a global
comparison among models, satellite data, and AERONET ground data.
J. Geophys. Res., 108 (D20), 4634, doi:10.1029/2001JD001253.
Kinne, S., et al., 2006: An AeroCom initial assessment: optical properties
in aerosol component modules of global models. Atmos. Chem. Phys.
6, 1815–1834.
Kirchstetter, T.W., T. Novakov, and P.V. Hobbs, 2004: Evidence that the
spectral dependence of light absorption by aerosols is affected by organic
carbon. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D21208, doi:10.1029/2004JD004999.
Kirkevåg, A., and T. Iversen, 2002: Global direct radiative forcing by
process-parametrized aerosol optical properties. J. Geophys. Res.,
107(D20), 4433, doi:10.1029/2001JD000886.
Klein Goldewijk, K., 2001: Estimating global land use change over the
past 300 years: The HYDE database. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 15,
417–433.
Knutson, T.R., et al., 2006: Assessment of twentieth-century regional
surface temperature trends using the GFDL CM2 coupled models. J.
Clim., 10(9), 1624–1651.
Koch, D., 2001: Transport and direct radiative forcing of carbonaceous
and sulfate aerosols in the GISS GCM. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D17),
20311–20332.
Korolev, A.V., and G.A. Isaac, 2005: Shattering during sampling OAPs and
HVPS. Part I: snow particles. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol., 22, 528–542.
Kotchenruther, R.A., and P.V. Hobbs, 1998: Humidifi cation factors of
aerosols from biomass burning in Brazil. J. Geophys. Res., 103(D24),
32081–32089.
Kotchenruther, R.A., P.V. Hobbs, and D.A. Hegg, 1999: Humidifi cation
factors for atmospheric aerosols off the mid-Atlantic coast of the United
States. J. Geophys. Res., 104(D2), 2239–2251.
Kristjánsson, J.E., and J. Kristiansen, 2000: Is there a cosmic ray signal
in recent variations in global cloudiness and cloud radiative forcing? J.
Geophys. Res., 105(D9), 11851–11863.
Kristjánsson, J.E., A. Staple, J. Kristiansen, and E. Kaas, 2002: A new
look at possible connections between solar activity, clouds and climate.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 29, doi:10.1029/2002GL015646.
Kristjánsson, J.E., et al., 2005: Response of the climate system to aerosol
direct and indirect forcing: the role of cloud feedbacks. J. Geophys.
Res., 110, D24206, doi:10.1029/2005JD006299.
Krizan P., and J. Lastovicka, 2005: Trends in positive and negative ozone
laminae in the Northern Hemisphere. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D10107,
doi:10.1029/2004JD005477.
Kroeze, C., E. Dumont, and S.P. Seitzinger, 2005: New estimates of
global emissions of N2O from rivers, estuaries and continental shelves.
Environ. Sci., 2(2–3), 159–165.
Krol, M., and J. Lelieveld, 2003: Can the variability in tropospheric
OH be deduced from measurements of 1,1,1-trichloroethane (methyl
chloroform)? J. Geophys. Res., 108(D3), 4125, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002423.
Krol, M., et al., 2003: Continuing emissions of methyl chloroform from
Europe. Nature, 421, 131–135.
Krueger, A.J., et al., 2000: Ultraviolet remote sensing of volcanic emissions.
In: Remote Sensing of Active Volcanism [Mouginis-Mark, P.J., J.A.
Crisp, and J.H. Fink (eds.)]. Geophysical Monograph 116, American
Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, pp. 25–43.
Krüger, O., and H. Graßl, 2002: The indirect aerosol effect over Europe.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 29, doi:10.1029/2001GL14081.
Labitzke, K., 2004: On the signal of the 11-year sunspot cycle in the
stratosphere and its modulation by the quasi-biennial oscillation. J.
Atmos. Solar Terr. Phys., 66, 1151–1157.
Labitzke, K., et al., 2002: The global signal of the 11-year solar cycle in
the stratosphere: observations and models. J. Atmos. Solar Terr. Phys.,
64, 203–210.
Lambert, A., et al., 1993: Measurements of the evolution of the Mt. Pinatubo
aerosol cloud by ISAMS. Geophys. Res. Lett., 20(12), 1287–1290.
Langenfelds, R.L., et al., 2002: Interannual growth rate variations of
atmospheric CO2 and its delta C-13, H-2, CH4, and CO between 1992
and 1999 linked to biomass burning. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 16,
doi:10.1029/2001GB001466.
Lawrence, M.G., P. Jöckel, and R. von Kuhlmann, 2001: What does the
global mean OH concentration tell us? Atmos. Chem. Phys., 1, 43–74.
Lean, J., 2000: Evolution of the sun’s spectral irradiance since the Maunder
Minimum. Geophys. Res. Lett., 27, 2425–2428.
Lean, J., A. Skumanich, and O.White, 1992: Estimating the sun’s radiative
output during the Maunder Minimum. Geophys. Res. Lett., 19(15),
1595–1598.
Lean, J., J. Beer, and R. Bradley, 1995: Reconstruction of solar irradiance
since 1610: implications for climate change. Geophys. Res. Lett., 22,
3195–3198.
Lean, J.L., Y.M. Wang, and N.R. Sheeley, 2002: The effect of increasing
solar activity on the Sun’s total and open magnetic fl ux during multiple
cycles: Implications for solar forcing of climate. Geophys. Res. Lett.,
29(24), 2224, doi:10.1029/2002GL015880.
Lean, J., G. Rottman, J. Harder, and G. Kopp, 2005: SORCE contribution
to new understanding of global change and solar variability. Solar Phys.,
230, 27–53.
Lean, J.L., et al., 1997: Detection and parametrization of variations in solar
mid and near ultraviolet radiation (200 to 400 nm). J. Geophys. Res.,
102(D25), 29939–29956.
Lee, K.H., Y.J. Kim, and W. von Hoyningen-Huene, 2004: Estimation of
regional aerosol optical thickness from satellite observations during
the 2001 ACE-Asia IOP. J. Geophys. Res. 109, D19S16, doi:10.1029/
2003JD004126.
Lee, R.B. III, M.A. Gibson, R.S. Wilson, and S. Thomas, 1995: Long-term
total solar irradiance variability during sunspot cycle 22. J. Geophys.
Res., 100(A2), 1667–1675.
Lefohn, A.S., J.D. Husar, and R.B. Husar, 1999: Estimating historical
anthropogenic global sulfur emission patterns for the period 1850-1990.
Atmos. Environ., 33, 3435–3444.
Lelieveld, J., P.J. Crutzen, and F.J. Dentener, 1998: Changing concentration,
lifetime and climate forcing of atmospheric methane. Tellus, 50B, 128–
Lelieveld, J., W. Peters, F.J. Dentener, and M.C. Krol, 2002: Stability of
tropospheric hydroxyl chemistry. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D23), 4715,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002272.
Lelieveld, J., et al., 2004: Increasing ozone over the Atlantic Ocean.
Science, 304, 1483–1487.
Levy, R.C., et al., 2003: Evaluation of the Moderate-Resolution Imaging
Spectroradiometer (MODIS) retrievals of dust aerosol over the ocean
during PRIDE. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D19), 8594, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002460.
Li, J., et al., 2005: Halocarbon emissions estimated from AGAGE measured
pollution events at Trinidad Head, California. J. Geophys. Res., 110,
D14308, doi:10.1029/2004JD005739.
Liao, H., and J.H. Seinfeld, 2005: Global impacts of gas-phase chemistryaerosol
interactions on direct radiative forcing by anthropogenic
aerosols and ozone. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D18208, doi:10.1029/
2005JD005907.
Liao, H., J.H. Seinfeld, P.J. Adams, and L.J. Mickley, 2004: Global
radiative forcing of coupled tropospheric ozone and aerosols in a unifi ed
general circulation model. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D16207, doi:10.1029/
2003JD004456.
Liao, T., C.D. Camp, and Y.L. Yung, 2004: The seasonal cycle of N2O.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L17108, doi:10.1029/2004GL020345.
Liousse, C., et al., 1996: A global three-dimensional model study of
carbonaceous aerosols. J. Geophys. Res., 101(D14), 19411–19432.
Liu, H.Q., R.T. Pinker, and B.N. Holben, 2005: A global view of aerosols
from merged transport models, satellite, and ground observations. J.
Geophys. Res., 110(D10), doi:10.1029/2004JD004695.
Liu, X.H., and J.E. Penner, 2002: Effect of Mount Pinatubo H2SO4/H2O
aerosol on ice nucleation in the upper troposphere using a global
chemistry and transport model. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D12), doi:10.1029/
2001JD000455.
Liu, Y., and P.H. Daum, 2002: Indirect warming effect from dispersion
forcing. Nature, 419, 580–581.
Lockwood, M., and R. Stamper, 1999: Long-term drift of the coronal
source magnetic fl ux and the total solar irradiance. Geophys. Res. Lett.,
26(16), 2461–2464.
Loeb, N.G., and S. Kato, 2002: Top-of-atmosphere direct radiative effect
of aerosols over the tropical oceans from the Clouds and the Earth’s
Radiant Energy System (CERES) satellite instrument. J. Clim., 15,
1474–1484.
Loeb, N.G., and N. Manalo-Smith, 2005: Top-of-atmosphere direct
radiative effect of aerosols over global oceans from merged CERES and
MODIS observations. J. Clim., 18, 3506–3526.
Lohar, D., and B. Pal, 1995: The effect of irrigation on premonsoon season
precipitation over south west Bengal, India. J. Clim., 8, 2567–2570.
Lohmann, U., and G. Lesins, 2002: Stronger constraints on the
anthropogenic indirect aerosol effect. Science, 298, 1012–1016.
Lohmann, U., and J. Feichter, 2005: Global indirect aerosol effects: A
review. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 715–737.
Lohmann, U. and C. Leck, 2005: Importance of submicron surface active
organic aerosols for pristine Arctic clouds. Tellus, 57B, 261–268.
Lohmann, U., B. Kärcher, and J. Hendrichs, 2004: Sensitivity studies of
cirrus clouds formed by heterogeneous freezing in ECHAM GCM. J.
Geophys. Res., 109, D16204, doi:10.1029/2003JD004443.
Lohmann, U., J. Feichter, J.E. Penner, and W.R. Leaitch, 2000: Indirect
effect of sulfate and carbonaceous aerosols: a mechanistic treatment. J.
Geophys. Res., 105(D10), 12193–12206.
Lohmann, U., et al., 2001: Vertical distributions of sulfur species simulated
by large scale atmospheric models in COSAM: comparison with
observations. Tellus, 53B, 646–672.
Loveland, T.R., et al., 2000: Development of a global land cover
characteristics database and IGBP DISCover from 1 km AVHR R data.
Int. J. Remote Sens., 21, 1303–1330.
Lowe, D.C., and W. Allan, 2002: A simple procedure for evaluating global
cosmogenic 14C production in the atmosphere using neutron monitor
data. Radiocarbon, 44, 149–157.
Lowe, D.C., M.R. Manning, G.W. Brailsford, and A.M. Bromley, 1997:
The 1991-1992 atmospheric methane anomaly: Southern hemisphere
13C decrease and growth rate fl uctuations. Geophys. Res. Lett., 24(8),
857–860.
Lowe, D.C., et al., 2004: Seasonal cycles of mixing ratio and 13C in
atmospheric methane at Suva, Fiji. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D23308
doi:10.1029/2004JD005166.
Lu, M.-L., and J. Seinfeld, 2005: Study of the aerosol indirect effect by
large-eddy simulation of marine stratocumulus. J. Atmos. Sci., 62,
3909–3932.
Luo, C., N.M. Mahowald, and J. del Corral, 2003: Sensitivity study of
meteorological parameters on mineral aerosol mobilization, transport,
and distribution, J. Geophys. Res., 108 (D15), 4447, doi:10.1029/
2003JD003483.
MacFarling Meure, C., et al., 2006: The Law Dome CO2, CH4 and N2O
ice core records extended to 2000 years BP. Geophys. Res. Lett., 33,
L14810, doi:10.1029/2006GL026152.
Macke, A., M. Mishchenko, and B. Cairns, 1996: The infl uence of
inclusions on light scattering by large ice particles. J. Geophys. Res.,
101(D18), 23311–23316.
Magi, B.I., and P.V. Hobbs, 2003: Effects of humidity on aerosols in
southern Africa during the biomass burning season. J. Geophys. Res.,
108(D13), 8495, doi:10.1029/2002JD002144.
Magi, B.I., et al., 2005: Properties and chemical apportionment of aerosol
optical depth at locations off the U.S. East Coast in July and August
2001. J. Atmos. Sci., 62(4), 919–933, doi:10.1175/JAS3263.1.
Mahowald, N.M., and C. Luo, 2003: A less dusty future? Geophys. Res.
Lett., 30(17), doi:10.1029/2003GL017880.
Mahowald, N.M., G.C. Rivera, and C. Luo, 2004: Comment on Tegen et al.
2004, on the “Relative importance of climate and land use in determining
present and future global soil dust emissions”. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31,
L24105, doi:10.1029/2004GL021272.
Mak, J.E., M.R. Manning, and D.C. Lowe, 2000: Aircraft observations
of δ13C of atmospheric methane over the Pacifi c in August 1991 and
1993: evidence of an enrichment in 13CH4 in the Southern Hemisphere.
J. Geophys. Res., 105(D1), 1329–1335.
Malm, W.C., et al., 2004: Spatial and monthly trends in speciated fi ne
particle concentration in the United States. J. Geophys. Res., 109,
D03306, doi:10.1029/2003JD003739.
Manabe, S., and R.T. Wetherald, 1967: Thermal equilibrium of the
atmosphere with a given distribution of relative humidity. J. Atmos. Sci.,
24, 241–259.
Manne, A.S., and R.G. Richels, 2001: An alternative approach to
establishing trade-offs among greenhouse gases. Nature, 410, 675–676.
Manning, A.C., and R.F. Keeling, 2006: Global oceanic and land biotic
carbon sinks from the Scripps atmospheric oxygen fl ask sampling
network. Tellus, 58B, 95–116.
Manning, A.J., et al., 2003: Estimating European emissions of ozonedepleting
and greenhouse gases using observations and a modelling
back-attribution technique. J. Geophys. Res., 108 (D14), 4405,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002312.
Manning, M.R., A. Gomez, and G.W. Brailsford, 1997: Annex B11: The
New Zealand CO2 measurement programme. In: Report of the Ninth
WMO Meeting of Experts on Carbon Dioxide Concentration and
Related Tracer Measurement Techniques. WMO Global Atmosphere
Watch No. 132; WMO TD No. 952, Commonwealth Scientifi c and
Industrial Research Organisation, Melbourne, pp. 120–123.
Manning, M.R., et al., 2005: Short term variations in the oxidizing power
of the atmosphere. Nature, 436, 1001–1004.
Mannstein, H., and U. Schumann, 2005: Aircraft induced contrail cirrus
over Europe. Meteorol. Z., 14, 549–544.
Maria, S., F. Russell, L.M. Turpin, and R.J. Porcja, 2002: FTIR
measurements of functional groups and organic mass in aerosol samples
over the Caribbean. Atmos. Environ., 36, 5185–5196.
Marland, G., T.A. Boden, and R.J. Andres, 2006: Global, regional, and
national CO2 emissions. In: Trends: A Compendium of Data on Global
Change. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge
National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge, TN, http://
cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/trends/emis/tre_glob.htm.
Marquart, S., and B. Mayer, 2002: Towards a reliable GCM estimation
of contrail radiative forcing. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(8), doi:10.1029/
2001GL014075.
Marquart, S., M. Ponater, F. Mager, and R. Sausen, 2003: Future
development of contrail cover, optical depth, and radiative forcing:
Impacts of increasing air traffi c and climate change. J. Clim., 16, 2890–
Marsh, N.D., and H. Svensmark, 2000a: Low cloud properties infl uenced
by cosmic rays. Phys. Rev. Lett., 85, 5004–5007.
Marsh, N.D., and H. Svensmark, 2000b: Cosmic rays, clouds, and climate.
Space Sci. Rev., 94, 215–230.
Marshak, A., et al., 2006: Impact of three-dimensional radiative effects on
satellite retrievals of cloud droplet sizes. J. Geophys. Res., 111, D09207,
doi:10.1029/2005JD006686.
Martin, G.M., D.W. Johnson, and A. Spice, 1994: The measurement and
parametrization of effective radius of droplets in warm stratiform clouds.
J. Atmos. Sci., 51, 1823–1842.
Martin, S.T., et al., 2004: Effects of the physical state of tropospheric
ammonium-sulfate-nitrate particles on global aerosol direct radiative
forcing. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4, 183–214.
Martonchik, J.V., et al., 2004: Comparison of MISR and AERONET
aerosol optical depths over desert sites. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L16102,
doi:10.1029/2004GL019807.
Matthews, E., 1983: Global vegetation and land-use: new high-resolution
data-bases for climate studies. J. Clim. Appl. Meteorol., 22, 474–487.
Matthews, H.D., A.J. Weaver, M. Eby, and K.J. Meissner, 2003: Radiative
forcing of climate by historical land cover change. Geophys. Res. Lett.,
30(2), 271–274.
Matthews, H.D., et al., 2004: Natural and anthropogenic climate change:
Incorporating historical land cover change, vegetation dynamics and the
global carbon cycle. Clim. Dyn., 22, 461–479.
Matthias, I., et al., 2004: Multiyear aerosol observations with dual
wavelength Raman lidar in the framework of EARLINET. J. Geophys.
Res., 109, D13203, doi:10.1029/2004JD004600.
McCormack, J.P., 2003: The infl uence of the 11-year solar cycle on
the quasi-biennial oscillation. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30 (22), 2162,
doi:10.1029/2003GL018314.
McCormick, M.P., 1987: SAGE II: An overview. Adv. Space Res., 7, 219–
McCulloch, A., and P.M. Midgley, 2001: The history of methyl chloroform
emissions: 1951-2000. Atmos. Environ., 35, 5311–5319.
McFiggans, G., et al., 2006: The effect of aerosol composition and
properties on warm cloud droplet activation. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 6,
2593–2649.
Meehl, G.A., et al., 2004: Combinations of natural and anthropogenic
forcings in twentieth-century climate. J. Clim., 17, 3721–3727.
Meerkötter, R., et al., 1999: Radiative forcing by contrails. Ann. Geophys.,
17, 1080–1094.
Melillo, J.M., et al., 2001: Nitrous oxide emissions from forests and
pastures of various ages in the Brazilian Amazon. J. Geophys. Res.,
106(D24), 34179–34188.
Menon, S., and A. Del Genio, 2007: Evaluating the impacts of carbonaceous
aerosols on clouds and climate. In: Human-Induced Climate Change: An
Interdisciplinary Assessment [schlesinger, M., et al. (eds.)]. Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge, UK, in press.
Menon, S., A.D. Del Genio, D. Koch, and G. Tselioudis, 2002a: GCM
simulations of the aerosol indirect effect: sensitivity to cloud
parametrization and aerosol burden. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 692–713.
Menon, S., J. Hansen, L. Nazarenko, and Y. Luo, 2002b: Climate effects of
black carbon aerosols in China and India. Science, 297, 2250–2253.
Menon, S., et al., 2003: Evaluating aerosol/cloud/radiation process
parametrizations with single-column models and Second Aerosol
Characterization Experiment (ACE-2) cloudy column observations. J.
Geophys. Res., 108(D24), 4762, doi:10.1029/2003JD003902.
Meyer, R., et al., 2002: Regional radiative forcing by line-shaped
contrails derived from satellite data. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D10), 4104,
doi:10.1029/2001JD000426.
Mickley, L.J., D.J. Jacob, and D. Rind, 2001: Uncertainty in preindustrial
abundance of tropospheric ozone: implications for radiative forcing
calculations. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D4), 3389–3399 doi:10.1029/
2000JD900594.
Mickley, L.J., D.J. Jacob, B.D. Field, and D. Rind, 2004: Climate response
to the increase in tropospheric ozone since preindustrial times: a
comparison between ozone and equivalent CO2 forcings. J. Geophys.
Res., 109, D05106, doi:10.1029/2003JD003653.
Mikami, M., et al., 2006: Aeolian dust experiment on climate impact: an
overview of Japan-China Joint Project ADEC. Global Planet. Change,
52, 142–172, doi:10.1016/j.gloplacha.2006.03.001.
Miller, B.R., et al., 1998: Atmospheric trend and lifetime of
chlorodifl uoromethane (HCFC-22) and the global tropospheric OH
concentration. J. Geophys. Res., 103(D11), 13237–13248, doi:10.1029/
98JD00771.
Miller, R.L., G.A. Schmidt, and D.T. Shindell, 2006: Forced annular
variations in the 20th century IPCC AR4 models. J. Geophys. Res., 111,
D18101, doi:10.1029/2005JD006323.
Millet, D.B., and A.H. Goldstein, 2004: Evidence of continuing
methylchloroform emissions from the United States. Geophys. Res.
Lett., 31, L17101, doi:10.1029/2004GL020166.
Ming, Y., and L.M. Russell, 2002: Thermodynamic equilibrium of organicelectrolyte
mixtures in aerosol particles. Am. Inst. Chem. Eng. J., 48,
1331–1348.
Ming, Y., V. Ramaswamy, P.A. Ginoux, and L.H. Horowitz, 2005a: Direct
radiative forcing of anthropogenic organic aerosol. J. Geophys. Res.,
110, D20208, doi:10.1029/2004JD005573.
Ming, Y., V. Ramaswamy, L.J. Donner, and V.T.J. Phillips, 2006: A
new parametrization of cloud droplet activation applicable to general
circulation models. J. Atmos. Sci., 63(4), 1348–1356.
Ming, Y., et al., 2005b: Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory general
circulation model investigation of the indirect radiative effects
of anthropogenic sulfate aerosol. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D22206,
doi:10.1029/2005JD006161.
Ming, Y., et al., 2007: Modelling the interactions between aerosols and
liquid water clouds with a self-consistent cloud scheme in a general
circulation model. J. Atmos. Sci., 64(4), 1189–1209.
Minnis, P., 2005: Reply. J. Clim., 18, 2783–2784.
Minnis, P., J.K. Ayers, R. Palikonda, and D. Phan, 2004: Contrails, cirrus
trends, and climate. J. Clim., 17, 1671–1685.
Minnis, P., et al., 1993: Radiative climate forcing by the Mt. Pinatubo
eruption. Science, 259, 1411–1415.
Minnis, P., et al., 1998: Transformation of contrails into cirrus during
SUCCESS. Geophys. Res. Lett., 25, 1157–1160.
Mircea, M., et al., 2005: Importance of the organic aerosol fraction for
modeling aerosol hygroscopic growth and activation: a case study in the
Amazon Basin. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 3111–3126.
Mishchenko, M.I., et al., 1999: Aerosol retrievals over the ocean by use
of channels 1 and 2 AVHRR data: sensitivity analysis and preliminary
results. Appl. Opt., 38, 7325–7341.
Möhler, O., et al., 2005: Effect of sulfuric acid coating on heterogeneous
ice nucleation by soot aerosol particles. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D11210,
doi:10.1029/2004JD005169.
Montzka, S.A., et al., 1999: Present and future trends in the atmospheric
burden of ozone-depleting halogens. Nature, 398, 690–694.
Montzka, S.A., et al., 2003: Controlled substances and other source
gases. In: Scientifi c Assessment of Ozone Depletion: 2002. World
Meteorological Organization, Geneva, pp. 1.1–1.83.
Moore, N., and S. Rojstaczer, 2001: Irrigation-induced rainfall and the
Great Plains. J. Appl. Meteorol., 40, 1297–1309.
Morgan, C.G., et al., 2004: Isotopic fractionation of nitrous oxide in the
stratosphere: Comparison between model and observations. J. Geophys.
Res., 109, D04305, doi:10.1029/2003JD003402.
Morimoto, S., S. Aoki, T. Nakazawa, and T. Yamanouchi , 2006: Temporal
variations of the carbon isotopic ratio of atmospheric methane observed
at Ny Ålesund, Svalbard from 1996 to 2004. Geophys. Res. Lett., 33,
L01807, doi:10.1029/2005GL024648.
Mosley-Thompson, E., T.A. Mashiotta, and L.G. Thompson, 2003: High
resolution ice core records of Late Holocene volcanism: Current and
future contributions from the Greenland PARCA cores. In: Volcanism
and the Earth’s Atmosphere [Robock, A., and C. Oppenheimer
(eds.)]. Geophysical Monograph 139, American Geophysical Union,
Washington, DC, pp. 153–164.
Mouillot, F., et al., 2006: Global carbon emissions from biomass burning
in the 20th century. Geophys. Res. Lett., 33, L01801, doi:10.1029/
2005GL024707.
Moulin, C., and I. Chiapello, 2004: Evidence of the control of summer
atmospheric transport of African dust over the Atlantic by Sahel sources
from TOMS satellites (1979-2000). Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L02107,
doi:10.1029/2003GL018931.
Moulin, C., H.R. Gordon, V.F. Banzon, and R.H. Evans, 2001: Assessment
of Saharan dust absorption in the visible from SeaWiFS imagery. J.
Geophys. Res., 106(D16), 18239–18249.
Murayama, T., et al., 2001: Ground-based network observation of Asian
dust events of April 1998 in East Asia. J. Geophys. Res., 106, 18345–
Murphy, D.M., 2005: Something in the air. Science, 307, 1888–1890.
Muscheler, R., et al., 2007: Solar activity during the last 1000 yr inferred
from radionuclide records. Quat. Sci. Rev., 26, 82-97, doi:10.1016/
j.quascirev.2006.07.012.
Myhre, G., and F. Stordal, 2001a: Global sensitivity experiments of the
radiative forcing due to mineral aerosols. J. Geophys. Res., 106, 18193–
Myhre, G., and F. Stordal, 2001b: On the tradeoff of the solar and thermal
infrared radiative impact of contrails. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 3119–
Myhre, G., and A. Myhre, 2003: Uncertainties in radiative forcing due to
surface albedo changes caused by land-use changes. J. Clim., 16, 1511–
Myhre, G., A. Myhre, and F. Stordal, 2001: Historical evolution of radiative
forcing of climate. Atmos. Environ., 35, 2361–2373.
Myhre, G., M.M. Kvalevåg, and C.B. Schaaf, 2005a: Radiative forcing due
to anthropogenic vegetation change based on MODIS surface albedo
data. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L21410, doi:10.1029/2005GL024004.
Myhre, G., et al., 2003: Modelling the solar radiative impact of aerosols
from biomass burning during the Southern African Regional Science
Initiative (SAFARI 2000) experiment. J. Geophys. Res., 108, 8501,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002313.
Myhre, G., et al., 2004a: Intercomparison of satellite retrieved aerosol
optical depth over ocean. J. Atmos. Sci., 61, 499–513.
Myhre, G., et al., 2004b: Uncertainties in the radiative forcing due to
sulfate aerosols. J. Atmos. Sci., 61, 485–498.
Myhre, G., et al., 2005b: Intercomparison of satellite retrieved aerosol
optical depth over ocean during the period September 1997 to December
2000. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 1697–1719.
Naja, M., and H. Akimoto, 2004: Contribution of regional pollution and
long-range transport to the Asia-Pacifi c region: Analysis of long-term
ozonesonde data over Japan. J. Geophys. Res., 109, 1306, doi:10.1029/
2004JD004687.
Naja, M., H. Akimoto, and J. Staehelin, 2003: Ozone in background and
photochemically aged air over central Europe: analysis of long-term
ozonesonde data from Hohenpeissenberg and Payerne. J. Geophys.
Res., 108, 4063, doi:10.1029/2002JD002477.
Nakajima, T., and A. Higurashi, 1998: A use of two-channel radiances for
an aerosol characterization from space. Geophys. Res. Lett., 25, 3815–
Nakajima, T., A. Higurashi, K. Kawamoto, and J. Penner, 2001: A possible
correlation between satellite-derived cloud and aerosol microphysical
parameters. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 1171–1174.
Nakajima, T., et al., 1996: Aerosol optical properties in the Iranian region
obtained by ground-based solar radiation measurements in the summer
of 1991. J. Appl. Meteorol., 35, 1265–1278.
Nakazawa, T., S. Moromoto, S. Aoki, and M. Tanaka, 1997: Temporal and
spatial variations of the carbon isotopic ratio of atmospheric carbon
dioxide in the Western Pacifi c region. J. Geophys. Res., 102, 1271–
Nakicenovic, N., A. Grübler, and A. McDonald (eds), 1998: Global Energy
Perspectives. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, 299 pp.
Nenes, A., and J.H. Seinfeld, 2003: Parametrization of cloud droplet
formation in global climate models. J. Geophys. Res., 108, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002911.
Nenes, A., et al., 2002: Can chemical effects on cloud droplet number rival
the fi rst indirect effect? Geophys. Res. Lett., 29, 1848, doi:10.1029/
2002GL015295.
Nevison, C.D., S. Solomon, and R.S. Gao, 1999: Buffering interactions in
the modeled response of stratospheric O3 to increased NOx and HOx. J.
Geophys. Res., 104(D3), 3741–3754, 10.1029/1998JD100018.
Nevison, C.D., D.E. Kinnison, and R.F. Weiss, 2004a: Stratospheric
infl uences on the tropospheric seasonal cycles of nitrous oxide and
chlorofl uorocarbons. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L20103, doi:10.1029/
2004GL020398.
Nevison, C., T. Lueker, and R.F. Weiss, 2004b: Quantifying the nitrous
oxide source from coastal upwelling. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 18,
GB1018, doi:10.1029/2003GB002110.
Nevison, C.D., et al., 2005: Southern Ocean ventilation inferred from
seasonal cycles of atmospheric N2O and O2/N2 at Cape Grim, Tasmania.
Tellus, 57B, 218–229.
Newchurch, M.J., et al., 2003: Evidence for slowdown in stratospheric
ozone loss: fi rst stage of ozone recovery. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D16),
4507, doi:10.1029/2003JD003471.
Nordhaus, W.D., 1997: Discounting in economics and climate change: an
editorial comment. Clim. Change, 37, 315–328.
Notholt, J., et al., 2005: Infl uence of tropospheric SO2 emissions on
particle formation and the stratospheric humidity. Geophys. Res. Lett.,
32, L07810, doi:10.1029/2004GL022159.
Novakov, T., D.A. Hegg, and P.V. Hobbs, 1997: Airborne measurements
of carbonaceous aerosols on the East coast of the United States. J.
Geophys. Res., 102(D25), 30023–20030.
Novakov, T., et al., 2003: Large historical changes of fossil-fuel black
carbon aerosols. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(6), 1324, doi:10.1029/
2002GL016345.
Nozawa, T., T. Nagashima, H. Shiogama, and S.A. Crooks, 2005: Detecting
natural infl uence on surface air temperature change in the early twentieth
century. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L20719, doi:10.1029/2005GL023540.
O’Doherty, S., et al., 2004: Rapid growth of hydrofl uorocarbon 134a and
hydrochlorofl uorocarbons 141b, 142b, and 22 from Advanced Global
Atmospheric Gases Experiment (AGAGE) observations at Cape Grim,
Tasmania, and Mace Head, Ireland. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D06310,
doi:10.1029/2003JD004277.
Oinas, V., et al., 2001: Radiative cooling by stratospheric water vapor: big
differences in GCM results. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 2791–2794.
Olivier, J.G.J., and J.J.M. Berdowski, 2001: Global emissions sources and
sinks. In: The Climate System [berdowski, J., R. Guicherit, and B.J. Heij
(eds.)]. A.A. Balkema/Swets & Zeitlinger, Lisse, The Netherlands, pp.
33–78, updated at http://www.mnp.nl/edgar/.
Oltmans, S.J., et al., 2006: Long-term changes in tropospheric ozone.
Atmos. Environ., 40, 3156–3173.
O’Neill, B.C., 2000: The jury is still out on global warming potentials.
Clim. Change, 44, 427–443.
O’Neill, B., 2003: Economics, natural science, and the costs of global
warming potentials. Clim. Change, 58, 251–260.
Oram, D.E., 1999: Trends of Long-Lived Anthropogenic Halocarbons in
the Southern Hemisphere and Model Calculations of Global Emissions.
PhD Thesis, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK, 249 pp.
Oram, D.E., et al., 1998: Growth of fl uoroform (CHF3, HFC-23) in the
background atmosphere. Geophys. Res. Lett., 25, 35–38, doi:10.1029/
97GL03483.
Osborne, S.R., J.M. Haywood, P.N. Francis, and O. Dubovik, 2004: Shortwave
radiative effects of biomass burning aerosol during SAFARI2000.
Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 130, 1423–1448.
Palikonda, R., P. Minnis, D.P. Duda, and H. Mannstein, 2005: Contrail
coverage derived from 2001 AVHRR data over the continental United
States of America and surrounding area. Meteorol. Z., 14, 525–536.
Palmer, A.S., et al., 2002: Antarctic volcanic fl ux ratios from Law Dome
ice cores. Ann. Glaciol., 35, 329–332.
Palmer, P.I., et al., 2003: Eastern Asian emissions of anthropogenic
halocarbons deduced from aircraft concentration data. J. Geophys. Res.,
108(D24), 4753, doi:10.1029/2003JD003591.
Pan, W., M.A. Tatang, G.J. McRae, and R.G. Prinn, 1997: Uncertainty
analysis of direct radiative forcing by anthropogenic sulfate aerosols. J.
Geophys. Res., 102(D18), 21915–21924.
Parrish, D.D., et al., 2004: Changes in the photochemical environment
of the temperate North Pacifi c troposphere in response to increased
Asian emissions. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D23S18, doi:10.1029/
2004JD004978.
Pavelin, E.G., C.E. Johnson, S. Rughooputh, and R. Toumi, 1999:
Evaluation of pre-industrial surface ozone measurements made using
Schönbein’s method. Atmos. Environ., 33, 919–929.
Peng, Y., and U. Lohmann, 2003: Sensitivity study of the spectral
dispersion of the cloud droplet size distribution on the indirect aerosol
effect. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(10), 1507, doi:10.1029/2003GL017192.
Penner, J.E., S.Y. Zhang, and C.C. Chuang, 2003: Soot and smoke aerosol
may not warm climate. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D21), 4657, doi:10.1029/
2003JD003409.
Penner, J.E., X. Dong, and Y. Chen, 2004: Observational evidence of a
change in radiative forcing due to the indirect aerosol effect. Nature,
427, 231–234.
Penner, J.E., et al., 2001: Aerosols, their direct and indirect effects. In:
Climate Change 2001: The Scientifi c Basis. Contribution of Working
Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel
on Climate Change [Houghton, J.T., et al. (eds.)]. Cambridge University
Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 289–
Penner, J. E., et al., 2002: A comparison of model- and satellite-derived
aerosol optical depth and refl ectivity. J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 441–460.
Penner, J.E., et al., 2006: Model intercomparison of indirect aerosol effects.
Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., 6, 1579–1617.
Penner, J.E., et al., 2007: Effect of black carbon on mid-troposphere and
surface temperature trends. In: Human-Induced Climate Change: An
Interdisciplinary Assessment [schlesinger, M., et al., (eds.)]. Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge, UK, in press.
Perlwitz, J., and H.-F. Graf, 2001: Troposphere-stratosphere dynamic
coupling under strong and weak polar vortex conditions. Geophys. Res.
Lett., 28, 271–274.
Perlwitz, J., and N. Harnik, 2003: Observational evidence of a stratospheric
infl uence on the troposphere by planetary wave refl ection. J. Clim., 16,
3011–3026.
Pham, M., O. Boucher, and D. Hauglustaine, 2005: Changes in atmospheric
sulfur burdens and concentrations and resulting radiative forcings under
IPCC SRES emission scenarios for 1990-2100. J. Geophys. Res., 110,
D06112, doi:10.1029/2004JD005125.
Philipona, R., et al., 2004: Radiative forcing - measured at Earth’s surface
- corroborate the increasing greenhouse effect. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31,
L03202, doi:10.1029/2003GL018765.
Pielke, R.A. Sr., et al., 2002: The infl uence of land-use change and
landscape dynamics on the climate system - relevance to climate change
policy beyond the radiative effect of greenhouse gases. Philos. Trans. R.
Soc. London Ser. A, 360, 1705–1719.
Pitari, G., E. Mancini, V. Rizi, and D.T. Shindell, 2002: Impact of future
climate and emissions changes on stratospheric aerosols and ozone. J.
Atmos. Sci., 59, 414–440.
Platt, U., W. Allan, and D.C. Lowe, 2004: Hemispheric average Cl atom
concentration from 13C/12C ratios in atmospheric methane. Atmos.
Chem. Phys., 4, 2393–2399.
Ponater, M., S. Marquart, and R. Sausen, 2002: Contrails in a comprehensive
global climate model: Parametrization and radiative forcing results. J.
Geophys. Res., 107(D13), doi:10.1029/2001JD000429.
Ponater, M., S. Marquart, R. Sausen, and U. Schumann, 2005: On contrail
climate sensitivity. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L10706, doi:10.1029/
2005GL022580.
Posfai, M., et al., 2003: Individual aerosol particles from biomass
burning in southern Africa: 1. Compositions and size distributions of
carbonaceous particles. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D13), 8483, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002291.
Prata, A., W. Rose, S. Self, and D. O’Brien, 2003: Global, long-term
sulphur dioxide measurements from TOVS data: a new tool for studying
explosive volcanism and climate. In: Volcanism and the Earth’s
Atmosphere [Robock, A., and C. Oppenheimer (eds).]. Geophysical
Monograph 139, American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, pp.
75–92.
Prather, M.J., 2003: Atmospheric science: an environmental experiment
with H2? Science, 302, 581–583.
Prather, M.J., et al., 2001: Atmospheric chemistry and greenhouse gases.
In: Climate Change 2001: The Scientifi c Basis. Contribution of Working
Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 239–
Preminger, D.G., and S.R. Walton, 2005: A new model of total solar
irradiance based on sunspot areas. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L14109,
doi:10.1029/2005GL022839.
Prentice, I.C., et al., 2001: The carbon cycle and atmospheric carbon dioxide.
In: Climate Change 2001: The Scientifi c Basis. Contribution of Working
Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 184–
Prinn, R.G., 2004: Non-CO2 greenhouse gases. In: The Global Carbon
Cycle [Field, C., and M. Raupach (eds.)]. Island Press, Washington, DC,
pp. 205–216.
Prinn, R.G., et al., 1990: Atmospheric emissions and trends of nitrous
oxide deduced from ten years of ALE-GAGE data. J. Geophys. Res.,
95, 18369–18385.
Prinn, R.G., et al., 2000: A history of chemically and radiatively important
gases in air deduced from ALE/GAGE/AGAGE. J. Geophys. Res.,
105(D14), 17751–17792.
Prinn, R.G., et al., 2001: Evidence for substantial variations of atmospheric
hydroxyl radicals in the past two decades. Science, 292, 1882–1888.
Prinn, R.G., et al., 2005a: Evidence for variability of atmospheric hydroxyl
radicals over the past quarter century. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L07809,
doi:10.1029/2004GL022228.
Prinn, R.G., et al., 2005b: The ALE/GAGE/AGAGE Network: DB1001.
Carbon Dioxide Information and Analysis World Data Center, http://
cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/ndps/alegage.html.
Prospero, J.M., et al., 2002: Environmental characterization of global
sources of atmospheric soil dust identifi ed with the Nimbus 7 Total
Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) absorbing aerosol product. Rev.
Geophys., 40(1), doi:10.1029/2000RG000095.
Putaud, J.P., et al., 2004: European aerosol phenomenology-2: chemical
characteristics of particulate matter at kerbside, urban, rural and
background sites in Europe. Atmos. Environ., 38, 2579–2595.
Pyle, J., et al., 2005: Ozone and climate: a review of interconnections. In:
Special Report on Safeguarding the Ozone Layer and Global Climate
System: Issues Related to Hydrofl uorocarbons and Perfl uorocarbons
[Metz., B., et al. (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge,
United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 83–132.
Quaas, J., and O. Boucher, 2005: Constraining the fi rst aerosol indirect
radiative forcing in the LMDZ GCM using POLDER and MODIS satellite
data. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L17814, doi:10.1029/2005GL023850.
Quaas, J., O. Boucher, and F.-M. Breon, 2004: Aerosol indirect effects
in POLDER satellite data and the Laboratoire de Météorologie
Dynamique-Zoom (LMDZ) general circulation model. J. Geophys.
Res., 109, D08205, doi:10.1029/2003JD004317.
Quaas, J., O. Boucher, and U. Lohmann, 2005: Constraining the total
aerosol indirect effect in the LMDZ and ECHAM4 GCMs using MODIS
satellite data. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 9669–9690.
Quay, P., et al., 2000: Atmospheric (CO)-C-14: A tracer of OH concentration
and mixing rates. J. Geophys. Res., 105(D12), 15147–15166.
Quinn, P.K., and T.S. Bates, 2005: Regional aerosol properties: comparisons
from ACE 1, ACE 2, Aerosols99, INDOEX, ACE Asia, TARFOX, and
NEAQS. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D14202, doi:10.1029/2004JD004755.
Raes, F., T. Bates, F. McGovern, and M. Van Liedekerke, 2000: The 2nd
Aerosol Characterization Experiment (ACE-2): general overview and
main results. Tellus, 52B, 111–125.
Ramachandran, S., V. Ramaswamy, G.L. Stenchikov, and A. Robock,
2000: Radiative impact of the Mt. Pinatubo volcanic eruption: Lower
stratospheric response. J. Geophys. Res., 105(D19), 24409–24429.
Ramanathan, V., 1981: The role of ocean-atmosphere interactions in the
CO2 climate problem. J. Atmos. Sci., 38, 918–930.
Ramanathan, V., P.J. Crutzen, J.T. Kiehl, and D. Rosenfeld, 2001a:
Atmosphere: aerosols, climate, and the hydrological cycle. Science,
294, 2119–2124.
Ramanathan, V., et al., 2001b: Indian Ocean experiment: An integrated
analysis of the climate forcing and effects of the great Indo-Asian haze.
J. Geophys. Res., 106(D22), 28371–28398.
Ramankutty, N., and J.A. Foley, 1999: Estimating historical changes in
global land cover: croplands from 1700 to 1992. Global Biogeochem.
Cycles, 14, 997–1027.
Ramaswamy, V., S. Ramachandran, G. Stenchikov, and A. Robock,
2006a: A model study of the effect of Pinatubo volcanic aerosols on
the stratospheric temperatures. In: Frontiers of Climate Modeling
[Kiehl, J.T., and V. Ramanathan (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge, UK, pp. 152–178.
Ramaswamy, V., et al., 2001: Radiative forcing of climate change. In:
Climate Change 2001: The Scientifi c Basis. Contribution of Working
Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 349–
Ramaswamy, V., et al., 2006b: Anthropogenic and natural infl uences in the
evolution of lower stratospheric cooling. Science, 311, 1138–1141.
Randall, C.E., R.M. Bevilacqua, J.D. Lumpe, and K.W. Hoppel, 2001:
Validation of POAM III aerosols: Comparison to SAGE II and HALOE.
J. Geophys. Res., 106, 27525–27536.
Randles, C.A., L.M. Russell, and V. Ramaswamy, 2004: Hygroscopic and
optical properties of organic sea salt aerosol and consequences for climate
forcing. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L16108, doi:10.1029/2004GL020628.
Rasch, P.J., and J.E. Kristjánsson, 1998. A comparison of the CCM3 model
climate using diagnosed and predicted condensate parametrizations. J.
Clim., 11, 1587–1614.
Read, W.G., L. Froidevaux, and J.W. Waters, 1993: Microwave limb
sounder measurements of stratospheric SO2 from the Mt. Pinatubo
volcano. Geophys. Res. Lett., 20(12), 1299–1302.
Reddy, M.S., and O. Boucher, 2004: A study of the global cycle of
carbonaceous aerosols in the LMDZT general circulation model. J.
Geophys. Res., 109, D14202, doi:10.1029/2003JD004048.
Reddy, M.S., O. Boucher, Y. Balanski, and M. Schulz, 2005a: Aerosol
optical depths and direct radiative perturbations by species and source
type. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L12803, doi:10.1029/2004GL021743.
Reddy, M.S., et al., 2005b: Estimates of global multicomponent aerosol
optical depth and direct radiative perturbation in the Laboratoire de
Météorologie Dynamique general circulation model. J. Geophys. Res.,
110, D10S16, doi:10.1029/2004JD004757.
Reid, J.S., et al., 1999: Use of the Angstrom exponent to estimate the
variability of optical and physical properties of aging smoke particles in
Brazil. J. Geophys. Res., 104(D22), 27473–27490.
Reid, J.S., et al., 2003: Analysis of measurements of Saharan dust by
airborne and ground-based remote sensing methods during the Puerto
Rico Dust Experiment (PRIDE). J. Geophys. Res., 108(D19), 8586,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002493.
Reimann, S., et al., 2005: Low methyl chloroform emissions inferred
from long-term atmospheric measurements. Nature, 433, 506–508,
doi:10.1038/nature03220.
Remer, L.A., and Y.J. Kaufman, 2006: Aerosol direct radiative effect at the
top of the atmosphere over cloud free oceans derived from four years of
MODIS data. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 6, 237–253.
Remer, L.A., et al., 2002: Validation of MODIS aerosol retrieval over
ocean. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(12), doi:10.1029/2001GL013204.
Remer, L.A., et al., 2005: The MODIS aerosol algorithm, products, and
validation. J. Atmos. Sci., 62, 947–973.
Richards, J.F, 1990: Land transformation. In: The Earth as Transformed
by Human Action [Turner, B.L. II, et al. (eds.)]. Cambridge University
Press, New York, NY, pp. 163–178.
Richter, A., et al., 2005: Increase in tropospheric nitrogen dioxide over
China observed from space. Nature, 437, 129–132.
Rigozo, N.R., E. Echer, L.E.A. Vieira, and D.J.R. Nordemann, 2001:
Reconstruction of Wolf sunspot numbers on the basis of spectral
characteristics and estimates of associated radio fl ux and solar wind
parameters for the last millennium. Sol. Phys., 203, 179–191.
Rind, D., J. Perlwitz, and P. Lonergan, 2005: AO/NAO response to climate
change: 1. Respective infl uences of stratospheric and tropospheric climate
changes. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D12107, doi:10.1029/2004JD005103.
Rissler, J., et al., 2004: Physical properties of the sub-micrometer aerosol
over the Amazon rain forest during the wet-to-dry season transition
– Comparison of modeled and measured CCN concentrations. Atmos.
Chem. Phys., 4, 2119–2143.
Roberts, D.L., and A. Jones, 2004: Climate sensitivity to black carbon
aerosol from fossil fuel combustion. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D16202,
doi:10.1029/2004JD004676.
Robles-Gonzalez, C., J.P. Veefkind, and G. de Leeuw, 2000: Mean aerosol
optical depth over Europe in August 1997 derived from ATSR-2 data.
Geophys. Res. Lett. 27(7), 955–959.
Robson, J.I., et al., 2006: Revised IR spectrum, radiative effi ciency and
global warming potential of nitrogen trifl uoride. Geophys. Res. Lett., 33,
L10817, doi:10.1029/2006GL026210.
Rockmann, T., J. Grooss, and R. Muller, 2004: The impact of anthropogenic
chlorine emissions, stratospheric ozone change and chemical feedbacks
on stratospheric water. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4, 693–699.
Rosenfeld, D., and G. Feingold, 2003: Explanation of discrepancies among
satellite observations of the aerosol indirect effects. Geophys. Res. Lett.,
30(14), 1776, doi:10.1029/2003GL017684.
Rosenfeld, D., R. Lahav, A. Khain, and M. Pinsky, 2002: The role of sea
spray in cleansing air pollution over the ocean via cloud processes.
Science, 297, 1667–1670.
Ross, K.E., et al., 2003: Spatial and seasonal variations in CCN distribution
and the aerosol-CCN relationship over southern Africa. J. Geophys.
Res., 108(D13), 8481, doi:10.1029/2002JD002384.
Rotstayn, L.D., 1997: A physically based scheme for the treatment of
stratiform clouds and precipitation in large-scale models. I: Description
and evaluation of the microphysical processes. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc.,
123, 1227–1282.
Rotstayn, L.D., and J.E. Penner, 2001: Indirect aerosol forcing, quasi
forcing, and climate response. J. Clim., 14, 2960–2975.
Rotstayn, L.D., and Y. Liu, 2003: Sensitivity of the fi rst indirect aerosol
effect to an increase of the cloud droplet spectral dispersion with droplet
number concentration. J. Clim., 16, 3476–3481.
Rotstayn, L.D., B.F. Ryan, and J. Katzfey, 2000: A scheme for calculation
of the liquid fraction in mixed-phase clouds in large scale models. Mon.
Weather Rev., 128, 1070–1088.
Rottman, G., 2005: The SORCE Mission. Solar Phys., 230, 7–25.
Rozanov, E.V., et al., 2002: Climate/chemistry effect of the Pinatubo
volcanic eruption simulated by the UIUC stratosphere/troposphere
GCM with interactive photochemistry. J. Geophys. Res., 107, 4594,
doi:10.1029/2001JD000974.
Rozanov, E.V., et al., 2004: Atmospheric response to the observed increase
of solar UV radiation from solar minimum to solar maximum simulated
by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign climate-chemistry
model. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D01110, doi:10.1029/2003JD003796.
Russell, P.B., and J. Heintzenberg, 2000: An overview of the ACE-2 clear
sky column closure experiment (CLEARCOLUMN). Tellus, 52B, 463–
483, doi:10.1034/j.1600-0889.2000.00013.x.
Russell, P.B., P.V. Hobbs, and L.L. Stowe, 1999: Aerosol properties
and radiative effects in the United States East Coast haze plume: An
overview of the Tropospheric Aerosol Radiative Forcing Observational
Experiment (TARFOX). J. Geophys. Res., 104(D2), 2213–2222.
Rypdal, K., et al., 2005: Tropospheric ozone and aerosols in climate
agreements: scientifi c and political challenges. Environ. Sci. Policy, 8,
29–43.
Salby, M., and P. Callaghan, 2004: Evidence of the solar cycle in the
general circulation of the stratosphere. J. Clim., 17, 34–46.
Santer, B.D., et al., 2004: Identifi cation of anthropogenic climate change
using a second-generation reanalysis. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D21104,
doi:10.1029/2004JD005075.
Sato, M., J.E. Hansen, M.P. McCormick, and J.B. Pollack, 1993:
Stratospheric aerosol optical depths, 1850-1990. J. Geophys. Res.,
98(D12), 22987–22994.
Sato, M., et al., 2003: Global atmospheric black carbon inferred from
AERONET. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 100, 6319–6324.
Sausen, R., and U. Schumann, 2000: Estimates of the climate response to
aircraft CO2 and NO(x) emissions scenarios. Clim. Change, 44, 27–58.
Sausen, R., K. Gierens, M. Ponater, and U. Schumann, 1998: A diagnostic
study of the global distribution of contrails part I: Present day climate.
Theor. Appl. Climatol., 61, 127–141.
Sausen, R., et al., 2005: Aviation radiative forcing in 2000: An update on
IPCC (1999). Meteorol. Z., 14, 1–7.
Schaaf, C.B., et al., 2002: First operational BRDF, albedo nadir refl ectance
products from MODIS. Remote Sens. Environ., 83, 135–148.
Schaap, M., et al., 2004: Secondary inorganic aerosol simulations for
Europe with special attention to nitrate. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 4, 857–
Schatten, K.H., and J.A. Orosz, 1990: Solar constant secular changes. Sol.
Phys., 125, 179–184.
Schmidt, G.A., et al., 2005: Present day atmospheric simulations using
GISS ModelE: Comparison to in situ, satellite and reanalysis data. J.
Clim., 19, 153–192.
Schnaiter, M., et al., 2003: UV-VIS-NIR spectral optical properties of soot
and soot-containing aerosols. J. Aerosol Sci., 34(10), 1421–1444.
Schoeberl, M., A. Douglass, Z. Zhu, and S. Pawson, 2003: A comparison
of the lower stratospheric age spectra derived from a general circulation
model and two data assimilation systems. J. Geophys. Res., 108, L4113,
doi:10.1029/2002JD002652.
Scholes, M., and M.O. Andreae, 2000: Biogenic and pyrogenic emissions
from Africa and their impact on the global atmosphere. Ambio, 29,
23–29.
Schulz, M., S. Kinne, C. Textor, and S. Guibert, 2004: AeroCom Aerosol
Model Intercomparison. http://nansen.ipsl.jussieu.fr/AEROCOM/.
Schulz, M., et al., 2006: Radiative forcing by aerosols as derived from
the AeroCom present-day and pre-industrial simulations. Atmos. Chem.
Phys. Discuss., 6, 5095–5136.
Schumann, U., 2005: Formation, properties, and climatic effects of
contrails. Comptes Rendus Physique, 6, 549–565.
Schuster, G.L., O. Dubovik, B.N. Holben, and E.E. Clothiaux, 2005:
Inferring black carbon content and specifi c absorption from Aerosol
Robotic Network (AERONET) aerosol retrievals. J. Geophys. Res., 110,
D10S17, doi:10.1029/2004JD004548.
Schwartz, S.E., and M.O. Andreae, 1996: Uncertainty in climate change
caused by aerosols. Science, 272, 1121–1122.
Schwartz, S.E., D.W. Harshvardhan, and C.M. Benkovitz, 2002: Infl uence
of anthropogenic aerosol on cloud optical depth and albedo shown by
satellite measurements and chemical transport modeling. Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 99, 1784–1789.
Sekiguchi, M., et al., 2003: A study of the direct and indirect effects of
aerosols using global satellite datasets of aerosol and cloud parameters.
J. Geophys. Res., 108(D22), 4699, doi:10.1029/2002JD003359.
Sellers, P.J., et al., 1996: Comparison of radiative and physiological effects
of doubled atmospheric CO2 on climate. Science, 271, 1402–1406.
Shantz, N.C., W.R. Leaitch, and P. Caffrey, 2003: Effect of organics of
low solubility on the growth rate of cloud droplets. J. Geophys. Res.,
108(D5), doi:10.1029/2002JD002540.
Sherwood, S., 2002: A microphysical connection among biomass burning,
cumulus clouds, and stratospheric moisture. Science, 295, 1272–1275.
Shi, G.Y., et al., 2005: Sensitivity experiments on the effects of optical
properties of dust aerosols on their radiative forcing under clear sky
condition. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan, 83A, 333–346.
Shindell, D.T., 2001: Climate and ozone response to increased stratospheric
water vapor. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 1551–1554.
Shindell, D.T., and G. Faluvegi, 2002: An exploration of ozone changes
and their radiative forcing prior to the chlorofl uorocarbon era. Atmos.
Chem. Phys., 2, 363–374.
Shindell, D.T., G. Faluvegi, and N. Bell, 2003a: Preindustrial-to-present
day radiative forcing by tropospheric ozone from improved simulations
with the GISS chemistry-climate GCM. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 3, 1675–
Shindell, D.T., G.A. Schmidt, R.L. Miller, and M. Mann, 2003b: Volcanic
and solar forcing of climate change during the preindustrial era. J. Clim.,
16, 4094–4107.
Shindell, D.T., G.A. Schmidt, M. Mann, and G. Faluvegi, 2004: Dynamic
winter climate response to large tropical volcanic eruptions since 1600.
J. Geophys. Res., 109, D05104, doi:10.1029/2003JD004151.
Shindell, D.T., G. Faluvegi, N. Bell, and G. Schmidt, 2005: An emissionsbased
view of climate forcing by methane and tropospheric ozone.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L04803, doi:10.1029/2004GL021900.
Shine, K.P., 2005: Comment on ‘Contrails, cirrus, trends, and climate’. J.
Clim., 18, 2781–2782.
Shine, K.P., J. Cook, E.J. Highwood, and M.M. Joshi, 2003: An alternative
to radiative forcing for estimating the relative importance of climate
change mechanisms. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30 (20), 2047, doi:10.1029/
2003GL018141.
Shine, K.P., T.K. Berntsen, J.S. Fuglestvedt, and R. Sausen, 2005a:
Scientifi c issues in the design of metrics for inclusion of oxides of
nitrogen in global climate agreements. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.,
102, 15768–15773.
Shine, K.P., J.S. Fuglestvedt, K. Hailemariam, and N. Stuber, 2005b:
Alternatives to the global warming potential for comparing climate
impacts of emissions of greenhouse gases. Clim. Change, 68, 281–302.
Shine, K.P, et al., 2005c: Perfl uorodecalin: global warming potential and
fi rst detection in the atmosphere. Atmos. Environ., 39, 1759–1763.
Simmonds, P.G., R. Derwent, A. Manning, and G. Spain, 2004: Signifi cant
growth in surface ozone at Mace Head, Ireland ,1987-2003. Atmos.
Environ., 38, 4769–4778.
Simpson, I.J., D.R. Blake, F.S. Rowland, and T.Y. Chen, 2002: Implications
of the recent fl uctuations in the growth rate of tropospheric methane.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(10), doi:10.1029/2001GL014521.
Smith, C.A., J.D. Haigh, and R. Toumi, 2001: Radiative forcing due to
trends in stratospheric water vapour. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(1), 179–
Smith, R.N.B., 1990: A scheme for predicting layer clouds and their water
content in a general circulation model. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc., 116,
435–460.
Smith, S.J., and T.M.L. Wigley, 2000: Global warming potentials: 2.
Accuracy. Clim. Change, 44, 459–469.
Smith, S.J., E. Conception, R. Andres, and J. Lurz, 2004: Historical
Sulphur Dioxide Emissions 1850-2000: Methods and Results. Research
Report No. PNNL-14537, Joint Global Change Research Institute,
College Park, MD, 16 pp.
Smith, W.L. Jr., et al., 2005: EOS terra aerosol and radiative fl ux validation:
an overview of the Chesapeake Lighthouse and Aircraft Measurements
for Satellites (CLAMS) experiment. J. Atmos. Sci., 62(4), 903–918,
doi:10.1175/JAS3398.1.
Sofi a, S., and L.H. Li, 2001: Solar variability and climate. J. Geophys.
Res., 106(A7), 12969–12974.
Sokolov, A., 2006: Does model sensitivity to changes in CO2 provide a
measure of sensitivity to the forcing of different nature. J. Clim., 19,
3294–3306.
Solanki, S.K., and M. Fligge, 1999: A reconstruction of total solar irradiance
since 1700. Geophys. Res. Lett., 26(16), 2465–2468.
Solanki, S.K., et al., 2004: Unusual activity of the Sun during recent decades
compared to the previous 11,000 years. Nature, 431, 1084–1087.
Solomon, S., et al., 1996: The role of aerosol variations in anthropogenic
ozone depletion at northern midlatitudes. J. Geophys. Res., 101(D3),
6713–6727.
Solomon, S., et al., 2005: On the distribution and variability of ozone in the
tropical upper troposphere: Implications for tropical deep convection
and chemical-dynamical coupling. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L23813,
doi:10.1029/2005GL024323.
Souffl et, V., D. Tanre, A. Royer, and N.T. O’Neill, 1997: Remote sensing
of aerosols over boreal forest and lake water from AVHRR data. Remote
Sens. Environ., 60, 22–34.
Spahni, R., et al., 2005: Atmospheric methane and nitrous oxide of the late
Pleistocene from Antarctic ice cores. Science, 310, 1317–1321.
Spinhirne, J.D., et al., 2005: Cloud and aerosol measurements from
GLAS: overview and initial results. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L22S03,
doi:10.1029/2005GL023507.
Spruit, H., 2000: Theory of solar irradiance variations. Space Sci. Rev.,
94, 113–126.
Steinbrecht, W., H. Claude, and P. Winkler, 2004a: Enhanced upper
stratospheric ozone: sign of recovery or solar cycle effect? J. Geophys.
Res., 109, D020308, doi:10.1029/2003JD004284.
Steinbrecht, W., H. Claude, and P. Winkler, 2004b: Reply to comment by
D. M. Cunnold et al. on “Enhanced upper stratospheric ozone: Sign
of recovery or solar cycle effect?”. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D14306,
doi:10.1029/2004JD004948.
Stenchikov, G.L., et al., 1998: Radioactive forcing from the 1991 Mount
Pinatubo volcanic eruption. J. Geophys. Res., 103(D12), 13837–13857.
Stenchikov, G.L., et al., 2002: Arctic Oscillation response to the 1991 Mount
Pinatubo eruption: effects of volcanic aerosols and ozone depletion. J.
Geophys. Res., 107(D24), 4803, doi:10.1029/2002JD002090.
Stenchikov, G., et al., 2004: Arctic Oscillation response to the 1991 Pinatubo
eruption in the SKYHI GCM with a realistic quasi-biennial oscillation.
J. Geophys. Res., 109, D03112, doi:10.1029/2003JD003699.
Stenchikov, G., et al., 2006: Arctic Oscillation response to volcanic
eruptions in the IPCC AR4 climate models. J. Geophys. Res., 111,
D07107, doi:10.1029/2005JD006286.
Stern, D.I., 2005: Global sulfur emissions from 1850 to 2000. Chemosphere,
58, 163–175.
Stevenson, D.S., et al., 2004: Radiative forcing from aircraft NOx emissions:
mechanisms and seasonal dependence. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D17307,
doi:10.1029/2004JD004759.
Stier, P., et al., 2005: The aerosol-climate model ECHAM5-HAM. Atmos.
Chem. Phys., 5, 1125–1156.
Stier, P., et al., 2006a: Impact of nonabsorbing anthropogenic aerosols
on clear-sky atmospheric absorption. J. Geophys. Res., 111, D18201,
doi:10.1029/2006JD007147.
Stier, P., et al., 2006b: Emission-induced nonlinearities in the global aerosol
system: results from the ECHAM5-HAM aerosol-climate model. J.
Clim., 19, 3845–3862.
Stordal, F., et al., 2005: Is there a trend in cirrus cloud cover due to aircraft
traffi c? Atmos. Chem. Phys., 5, 2155–2162.
Stothers, R., 2001a: Major optical depth perturbations to the stratosphere
from volcanic eruptions: Stellar extinction period, 1961-1978. J.
Geophys. Res., 106(D3), 2993–3003.
Stothers, R., 2001b: A chronology of annual mean radii of stratospheric
aerosol from volcanic eruptions during the twentieth century as derived
from ground-based spectral extinction measurements. J. Geophys. Res.,
106(D23), 32043–32049.
Stott P.A., G.S. Jones, and J.F.B. Mitchell, 2003: Do models underestimate
the solar contribution to recent climate change? J. Clim., 16, 4079–
Streets, D.G., et al., 2001: Black carbon emissions in China. Atmos.
Environ., 35, 4281–4296.
Streets, D.G., et al., 2003: An inventory of gaseous and primary aerosol
emissions in Asia in the year 2000. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D21), 8809,
doi:10.1029/2002JD003093.
Strugnell, N.C., W. Lucht, and C. Schaaf, 2001: A global albedo data set
derived from AVHRR data for use in climate simulations. Geophys. Res.
Lett., 28(1), 191–194.
Stubenrauch, C.J., and U. Schumann, 2005: Impact of air traffi c on
cirrus coverage. Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L14813, doi:10.1029/
2005GL022707.
Stuber, N., M. Ponater, and R. Sausen, 2001a: Is the climate sensitivity to
ozone perturbations enhanced by stratospheric water vapor feedback?
Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(15), 2887–2890.
Stuber, N., R. Sausen, and M. Ponater, 2001b: Stratosphere adjusted
radiative forcing calculations in a comprehensive climate model. Theor.
Appl. Climatol., 68, 125–135.
Stuber, N., M. Ponater, and R. Sausen, 2005: Why radiative forcing might
fail as a predictor of climate change. Clim. Dyn., 24, 497–510.
Sun, B., and R.S. Bradley, 2002: Solar infl uences on cosmic rays and cloud
formation: a re-assessment. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D14), doi:10.1029/
2001JD000560.
Sundqvist, H., 1978: A parametrization scheme for non-convective
condensation including prediction of cloud water content. Q. J. R.
Meteorol. Soc., 104, 677–690.
Sundqvist, H., E. Berge, and J.E. Kristjánsson, 1989: Condensation and
cloud parametrization studies with a mesoscale numerical weather
prediction model. Mon. Weather Rev., 117, 1641–1657.
Suzuki, K., et al., 2004: A study of the aerosol effect on a cloud fi eld with
simultaneous use of GCM modeling and satellite observation. J. Atmos.
Sci., 61, 179–194.
Svalgaard, L., E.W. Cliver, and P. Le Sager, 2004: IHV: A new long-term
geomagnetic index. Adv. Space Res., 34, 436–439.
Swap, R.J., et al., 2002: The Southern African Regional Science Initiative
(SAFARI 2000): overview of the dry season fi eld campaign. S. Afr. J.
Sci., 98, 125–130.
Swap, R.J., et al., 2003: Africa burning: a thematic analysis of the Southern
African Regional Science Initiative (SAFARI 2000). J. Geophys. Res.,
108(D13), 8465, doi:10.1029/2003JD003747.
Tabazadeh, A., et al., 2002: Arctic “ozone hole” in cold volcanic
stratosphere. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 99, 2609–2612.
Takemura, T., T. Nakajima, T. Nozawa, and K. Aoki, 2001: Simulation of
future aerosol distribution, radiative forcing, and long-range transport in
East Asia. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan, 2, 79, 1139–1155.
Takemura, T., et al., 2000: Global three-dimensional simulation of aerosol
optical thickness distribution of various origins. J. Geophys. Res.,
105(D14), 17853–17874.
Takemura, T., et al., 2005: Simulation of climate response to aerosol direct
and indirect effects with aerosol transport-radiation model. J. Geophys.
Res., 110, D02202, doi:10.1029/2004JD005029.
Tang, I.N., 1997: Thermodynamic and optical properties of mixed-salt
aerosols of atmospheric importance. J. Geophys. Res., 102(D2), 1883–
Tang, I.N., K.H. Fung, D.G. Imre, and H.R. Munkelwitz, 1995: Phase
transformation and metastability of hygroscopic microparticles. Aerosol
Sci. Tech., 23, 443.
Tanré, D., Y.J. Kaufman, M. Herman, and S. Mattoo, 1997: Remote sensing
of aerosol properties over oceans using the MODIS/EOS spectral
radiances. J. Geophys. Res., 102(D14), 16971–16988.
Tanré, D., et al., 2003: Measurement and modeling of the Saharan dust
radiative impact: overview of the SaHAran Dust Experiment (SHADE).
J. Geophys. Res., 108(D18), doi:10.1029/2002JD003273.
Tarasick, D.W., et al., 2005: Changes in the vertical distribution of ozone
over Canada from ozonesondes: 1980-2001. J. Geophys. Res., 110,
D02304, doi:10.1029/2004JD004643.
Tegen, I., and I. Fung, 1995: Contribution to the atmospheric mineral
aerosol load from land surface modifi cation. J. Geophys. Res., 100,
18707–18726.
Tegen, I., A.A. Lacis, and I. Fung, 1996: The infl uence on climate forcing
of mineral aerosols from disturbed soils. Nature, 380, 419–421.
Tegen, I., M. Werner, S.P. Harrison, and K.E. Kohfeld, 2004: Relative
importance of climate and land use in determining present and future
global soil dust emission. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L05105, doi:10.1029/
2003GL019216.
Tegen, I., M. Werner, S.P. Harrison, and K.E. Kohfeld, 2005: Reply to
comment by N. M. Mahowald et al. on “Relative importance of climate
and land use in determining present and future global soil dust emission”.
Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, doi:10.1029/2004GL021560.
Tett, S.F.B., et al., 2002: Estimation of natural and anthropogenic
contributions to twentieth century temperature change. J. Geophys.
Res., 107(D16), 4306, doi:10.1029/2000JD000028.
Textor, C., et al., 2006: AeroCom: The status quo of global aerosol
modelling. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 6, 1777–1813.
Tie, X.X., G.P. Brasseur, B. Breiglib, and C. Granier, 1994: Two dimensional
simulation of Pinatubo aerosol and its effect on stratospheric chemistry.
J. Geophys. Res., 99(D10), 20545–20562.
Thomason, L., and T. Peter, 2006: Assessment of Stratospheric Aerosol
Properties (ASAP): Report on the Assessment Kick-Off Workshop,
Paris, France, 4-6 November 2001. SPARC Report No. 4, WCRP-124,
WMO/TD No. 1295, http://www.aero.jussieu.fr/~sparc/News18/18_
Thomason.html.
Thompson, A.M., et al., 2001: Tropical tropospheric ozone and biomass
burning. Science, 291, 2128–2132.
Thompson, T.M., et al., 2004: Halocarbons and other atmospheric trace
species. In: Climate Monitoring and Diagnostics Laboratory, Summary
Report No. 27 [schnell, R.C., A.-M. Buggle, and R.M. Rosson (eds.)].
NOAA CMDL, Boulder, CO, pp. 115–135.
Timmreck, C., and M. Schulz, 2004: Signifi cant dust simulation differences
in nudged and climatological operation mode of the AGCM ECHAM. J.
Geophys. Res., 109, D13202, doi:10.1029/2003JD004381.
Timmreck, C., H.-F. Graf, and B. Steil, 2003: Aerosol chemistry interactions
after the Mt. Pinatubo Eruption. In: Volcanism and the Earth’s Atmosphere
[Robock, A., and C. Oppenheimer (eds.)]. Geophysical Monograph 139,
American Geophysical Union, Washington, DC, pp. 227–236.
Tol, R.S.J., 2002: Estimates of the damage costs of climate change, Part II.
Dynamic estimates. Environ. Resour. Econ., 21, 135–160.
Torres, O., et al., 2002: A long-term record of aerosol optical depth from
TOMS: Observations and comparison to AERONET measurements. J.
Atmos. Sci., 59, 398–413.
Travis, D.J., A.M. Carleton, and R.G. Lauritsen, 2002: Contrails reduce
daily temperature range. Nature, 418, 601–602.
Travis, D.J., A.M. Carleton, and R.G. Lauritsen, 2004: Regional variations
in U.S. diurnal temperature range for the 11-14 September 2001 aircraft
groundings: evidence of jet contrail infl uence on climate. J. Clim., 17,
1123–1134.
Tripoli, G.J., and W.R. Cotton, 1980: A numerical investigation of several
factors contributing to the observed variable intensity of deep convection
over South Florida. J. Appl. Meteorol., 19, 1037–1063.
Twohy, C.H., et al., 2005: Evaluation of the aerosol indirect effect in
marine stratocumulus clouds: droplet number, size, liquid water path,
and radiative impact. J. Geophys.Res., 110, D08203, doi:10.1029/
2004JD005116.
Twomey, S.A., 1977: The infl uence of pollution on the shortwave albedo
of clouds. J. Atmos. Sci., 34, 1149–1152.
Udelhofen, P.M., and R.D. Cess, 2001: Cloud cover variations over the
United States: An infl uence of cosmic rays or solar variability? Geophys.
Res. Lett., 28(13), 2617–2620.
Usoskin, I.G., et al., 2004: Latitudinal dependence of low cloud amount
on cosmic ray induced ionization. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L16109,
doi:10.1029/2004GL019507.
Van Aardenne, J.A., et al., 2001: A 1 x 1 degree resolution dataset of
historical anthropogenic trace gas emissions for the period 1890-1990.
Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 15, 909–928.
van der Werf, et al., 2004: Continental-scale partitioning of fi re emissions
during the 1997 to 2001 El Nino/La Nina period. Science, 303, 73–76.
Van Dorland, R., F.J. Dentener, and J. Lelieveld, 1997: Radiative forcing
due to tropospheric ozone and sulfate aerosols. J. Geophys. Res.,
102(D23), 28079–28100.
van Loon, H., and D.J. Shea, 2000: The global 11-year solar signal in July-
August. Geophys. Res. Lett., 27(18), 2965–2968.
Veefkind, J.P., G. de Leeuw, and P.A. Durkee, 1998: Retrieval of aerosol
optical depth over land using two-angle view satellite radiometry.
Geophys. Res. Lett. 25(16), 3135–3138.
Velders, et al., 2005: Chemical and radiative effects of halocarbons and
their replacement compounds. In: Special Report on Safeguarding
the Ozone Layer and the Global Climate System: Issues Related to
Hydrofl uorocarbons and Perfl uorocarbons [Metz, B., et al. (eds.)].
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New
York, NY, USA, pp. 133–180.
Vestreng, V., M. Adams, and J. Goodwin, 2004: Inventory Review 2004:
Emission Data Reported to CLRTAP and the NEC Directive. EMEP/
EEA Joint Review Report, Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Norway,
120 pp.
von Hoyningen-Huene, W., M. Freitag, and J.B. Burrows, 2003:
Retrieval of aerosol optical thickness over land surfaces from top-ofatmosphere
radiance. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D9), 4260, doi:10.1029/
2001JD002018.
Walter, B.P., M. Heimann, and E. Matthews, 2001a: Modeling modern
methane emissions from natural wetlands 2. Interannual variations
1982-1993. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D24), 34207–34220.
Walter, B.P., M. Heimann, and E. Matthews, 2001b: Modeling modern
methane emissions from natural wetlands 1. Model description and
results. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D24), 34189–34206.
Wang, C., 2004: A modeling study on the climate impacts of black carbon
aerosols. J. Geophys. Res., 109, D03106, doi:10.1029/2003JD004084.
Wang, H.J., et al., 2002: Assessment of SAGE version 6.1 ozone data quality.
J. Geophys. Res., 107(D23), 4691, doi:10.1029/2002JD002418.
Wang, M.H., K.D. Knobelspiesse, and C.R. McClain, 2005: Study of the
Sea-Viewing Wide Field-of-View Sensor (SeaWiFS) aerosol optical
property data over ocean in combination with the ocean color products.
J. Geophys. Res., 110, D10S06, doi:10.1029/2004JD004950.
Wang, W.-C., M.P. Dudek, and X.-Z. Liang, 1992: Inadequacy of effective
CO2 as a proxy in assessing the regional climate change due to other
radiatively active gases. Geophys. Res. Lett., 19, 1375–1378.
Wang, W.-C., M.P. Dudek, X.-Z. Liang, and J.T. Kiehl, 1991: Inadequacy
of effective CO2 as a proxy in simulating the greenhouse effect of other
radiatively active gases. Nature, 350, 573–577.
Wang, Y.M., J.L. Lean, and N.R. Sheeley, 2005: Modeling the sun’s
magnetic fi eld and irradiance since 1713. Astrophys. J., 625, 522–538.
Warner, J., and S.A. Twomey, 1967: The production and cloud nuclei by
cane fi res and the effect on cloud droplet concentration. J. Atmos. Sci.,
24, 704–706.
Warwick, N.J., et al., 2002: The impact of meteorology on the interannual
growth rate of atmospheric methane. Geophys. Res. Lett., 29(26),
doi:10.1029/2002/GL015282.
Weatherhead, E.C., and S. B. Andersen, 2006: The search for signs of
recovery of the ozone layer. Nature, 441, 39–45.
Welton, E.J., J.R. Campbell, J.D. Spinhirne, and V.S. Scott, 2001: Global
monitoring of clouds and aerosols using a network of micro-pulse lidar
systems. In: Lidar Remote Sensing for Industry and Environmental
Monitoring [singh, U.N., T. Itabe, and N. Sugimoto (eds.)]. SPIE,
Bellingham, WA, pp. 151–158.
Wennberg, P.O., S. Peacock, J.T. Randerson, and R. Bleck, 2004: Recent
changes in the air-sea gas exchange of methyl chloroform. Geophys.
Res. Lett., 31, L16112, doi:10.1029/2004GL020476.
Westerling, A.L., H.G. Hidalgo, D.R. Cayan, and T.W. Swetnam, 2006:
Warming and earlier spring increase western U.S. forest wildfi re activity.
Science, 313, 940–943.
White, W.B., M.D. Dettinger, and D.R. Cayan, 2003: Sources of global
warming of the upper ocean on decadal period scales. J. Geophys. Res.,
108(C8), doi:10.1029/2002JC001396.
Wild, O., M.J. Prather, and H. Akimoto, 2001: Indirect long-term global
radiative cooling from NOx emissions. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28(9),
1719–1722.
Williams, K.D., C.A. Senior, and J.F.B. Mitchell, 2001a: Transient climate
change in the Hadley Centre models: the role of physical processes. J.
Clim., 14, 2659–2674.
Williams, K.D., et al., 2001b: The response of the climate system to the
indirect effects of anthropogenic sulfate aerosols. Clim. Dyn., 17, 846–
Willson, R.C., and A.V. Mordvinov, 2003: Secular total solar irradiance
trend during solar cycles 21-23. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(5), 3–6.
Wilson, D.R., and S.P. Ballard, 1999: A microphysically based precipitation
scheme for the UK Meteorological Offi ce Unifi ed Model. Q. J. R.
Meteorol. Soc., 125, 1607–1636.
Wilson, M.F., and A. Henderson-Sellers, 1985: A global archive of land
cover and soils data for use in general-circulation climate models. J.
Climatol., 5, 119–143.
WMO, 1986: Atmospheric Ozone 1985. Global Ozone Research and
Monitoring Project Report No.16, World Meteorological Organisation,
Geneva, Volume 3.
WMO, 2003: Scientifi c Assessment of Ozone Depletion: 2002. Global
Ozone Research and Monitoring Project Report No. 47, World
Meteorological Organization, Geneva, 498 pp.
Wong, J., and Z. Li, 2002: Retrieval of optical depth for heavy smoke
aerosol plumes: uncertainties and sensitivities to the optical properties.
J. Atmos. Sci., 59, 250–261.
Wong, S., et al., 2004: A global climate-chemistry model study of presentday
tropospheric chemistry and radiative forcing from changes in
tropospheric O 3 since the preindustrial period. J. Geophys. Res., 109,
D11309, doi:10.1029/2003JD003998.
Woods, T.N., et al., 1996: Validation of the UARS solar ultraviolet
irradiances: comparison with the ATLAS 1 and 2 measurements. J.
Geophys. Res., 101(D6), 9541–9569.
Xiong, J.Q., et al., 1998: Infl uence of organic fi lms on the hygroscopicity of
ultrafi ne sulfuric acid aerosol. Environ. Sci. Technol., 32, 3536–3541.
Xue, H., and G. Feingold, 2006: large eddy simulations of trade-wind
cumuli: investigation of aerosol indirect effects. J. Atmos. Sci., 63,
1605–1622.
Yang, F., and M. Schlesinger, 2001: Identifi cation and separation of Mount
Pinatubo and El Nino-Southern Oscillation land surface temperature
anomalies. J. Geophys. Res., 106(D14), 14757–14770.
Yang, F., and M. Schlesinger, 2002: On the surface and atmospheric
temperature changes following the 1991 Pinatubo volcanic eruption: a
GCM study. J. Geophys. Res., 107(D8), doi:10.1029/2001JD000373.
Yokouchi, et al., 2005: Estimates of ratios of anthropogenic halocarbon
emissions from Japan based on aircraft monitoring over Sagami Bay,
Japan. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D06301, doi:10.1029/2004JD005320.
Yoshioka, M., N. Mahowald, J.L. Dufresne, and C. Luo, 2005: Simulation
of absorbing aerosol indices for African dust. J. Geophys. Res., 110,
D18S17, doi:10.1029/2004JD005276.
Yu, H., et al., 2003: Annual cycle of global distributions of aerosol
optical depth from integration of MODIS retrievals and GOCART
model simulations. J. Geophys. Res., 108(D3), 4128, doi:10.1029/
2002JD002717.
Yu, H., et al., 2006: A review of measurement-based assessments of the
aerosol direct radiative effect and forcing. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 6, 613–
Yvon-Lewis, S.A., and J.H. Butler, 2002: Effect of oceanic uptake
on atmospheric lifetimes of selected trace gases. J. Geophys. Res.,
107(D20), 4414, doi:10.1029/2001JD001267.
Zender, C.S., 2004: Quantifying mineral dust mass budgets: terminology,
constraints, and current estimates. Eos, 85, 509–512.
Zerefos, C.S., et al., 2003: Evidence of impact of aviation on cirrus cloud
formation. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 3, 1633–1644.
Zhang, J., and S. Christopher, 2003: Longwave radiative forcing of Saharan
dust aerosols estimated from MODIS, MISR and CERES observations
on Terra. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(23), doi:10.1029/2003GL018479.
Zhang, J., S.A. Christopher, L.A. Remer, and Y.J. Kaufman, 2005:
Shortwave aerosol radiative forcing over cloud-free oceans from Terra:
2. Seasonal and global distributions. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D10S24,
doi:10.1029/2004JD005009.
Zhang, J.P., Z. Yang, D.J. Wang, and X.B. Zhang, 2002: Climate change
and causes in the Yuanmou dry-hot valley of Yunnan China. J. Arid
Environ., 51, 153–162.
Zhao, M., A. Pitman, and T.N. Chase, 2001: The impacts of land cover
change on the atmospheric circulation. Clim. Dyn., 17, 467–477.
Zhao, T.X.P., I. Laszlo, P. Minnis, and L. Remer, 2005: Comparison and
analysis of two aerosol retrievals over the ocean in the terra/clouds
and the earth’s radiant energy system: moderate resolution imaging
spectroradiometer single scanner footprint data: 1. Global evaluation. J.
Geophys. Res., 110, D21208, doi:10.1029/2005JD005851.
Zhou, L.M., et al., 2001: Variations in northern vegetation activity inferred
from satellite data of vegetation index during 1981 to 1999. J. Geophys.
Res., 106(D17), 20069–20083.
Zhou, M., et al., 2005: A normalized description of the direct effect of
key aerosol types on solar radiation as estimated from aerosol robotic
network aerosols and moderate resolution imaging spectroradiometer
albedos. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D19202, doi:10.1029/2005JD005909.

To iNow

You would be wise to never use the IPCC summary report, nor it's list of signatories (actually contributors) as a verification of anything.

Paul Reiter completely dismantled the validity of that report, and the assumed agreement of it's contributors with the final summary.

Pay close attention to sections 13 through 18.. though you would be well advised to read the whole thing.

Now for the rest of your previous statement:

You have still evaded the original question put to you, which was a request to support your assertion that the site (realclimate.org) summarily dismisses information not in agreement with them.

Do you have any evidence that this has happened?

For someone as quick to claim that your statements were misrepresented, and that your questions are never answered, you sure have a habit of misrepresenting peoples statements and inability to answer questions.

Where did I say "summarily dismiss information not in agreement with them"?

An example of what I WAS saying, and not what you misrepresented me as saying, can be seen here.

While a supposed professional climate scientist calling another fellow climate scientist "stupid", among other things, is out of line in a study review... it does shed light on where you picked up your debate style.

You can read a very interesting observation of this childish realclimate article here.

And please stop appealing to shame because I ask you to supply sources to support your claims. This is, after all, a science forum. If you cannot support your claims and assertions with evidence then you should not be making them.

And I do when I feel is necessary. But when my commentary is self evident, or uses YOUR data as evidence, you really shouldn't be asking me for any.

Well, that's great. I appreciate you trying to help me become better. I hope to be able to reciprocate that with you, and that we achieve mutual betterment in the process.

Hey look! We agree!

However, you continue attacking me and my style, instead of the data, and you are not sharing supporting evidence of your claims, so this suggests that your own debate style is also lacking.

I have already commented on your posts.. though I wouldn't really call them "data". You posted several graphs a while back, and several opinion pieces. In many cases others have responded to you before I had a chance, and therefor there was no need for me to add a "yeah, what about that question that other guy asked you?". This method cuts down on the noise and repetition in these discussions. Where I have commented on your documents, you have chosen to call my responses insufficient.

For example, in the often sited graph of models (Mann, Jones, and others) I commented on how inaccurate those models are when they had to rely on historical proxy data. This is self evident as the lines diverge dramatically on the graph as you travel the X axis back through history. They only agree when the answer was already known. I do not need to provide external evidence for that observation. It is self evident.

When you inquired about McIntyre, and his correction of the NASA data, I provided evidence. I can only assume that you accepted that, because you dropped the subject. I, and other posters, targeted your sources and fairly well demonstrated that they were not telling the truth about McIntyre (ie. he actually has published peer reviewed material... his NASA paper was actually peer reviewed.. hence the correction by NASA... unless you want to assume that NASA took a non peer reviewed critique, and then didn't review it's correction either before changing their data... I suggest you not try that gambit as it is a lose-lose proposition for you)

You are correct that you did share ONE reference above, and you are correct that I wasn't satisfied with it's source. Knowing that the source of your citation has been involved with numerous falsehoods, has not been published in any peer-reviewed journals, and that this source has repeatedly been debunked for his continued misrepresentation of facts, I find my request for another source (or, more appropriate, sources) in support of your claims to be entirely valid (as I'm sure will most other readers here).

Your assault on the source actually perpetuates a falsehood of it's own. Go back and read. Also, McIntyre and McKitrick's critique of the 1999 Mann study was published in Geophysical Research Letters, a peer reviewed journal (article: Geophys. Res. Lett. 2005 32 L03710)

Funny how that is, eh? I make a statement and provide a source, you rush out and find some method to impugn the source, provide a link to something damning my source... and it turns out YOUR source is actually the one demonstrably distributing falsehoods.

Furthermore, there is a funny thing about all this: Mann's study was peer reviewed, and McIntyre's critique was peer reviewed.. yet only one is right.

Yet the primary defense of Mann comes from RealClimate.Org.... a non-peer-reviewed blog for which Mann is a primary contributor.

Hmmmmmm.... I'm siding with McIntyre. Do you know if Mann has published a peer reviewed rebuttal (honest question)?

If you cannot find another source, that's fine, but it certainly would speak poorly to the substance, plausibility, and validity of your claims.

As you may be figuring out by now: On this subject it is not ME who needs to be finding a new source.

And yes, I would prefer that you offer .edu or .gov sources, and you will notice I've tried to lead by example on this by using such sources when supporting my own arguments (with the exception of the links I provided discussing McIntyre's continued intellectual dishonesty and questionable motivations, despite one positive outcome of his work where he discovered an error in an early 1900s temperature data point and had it corrected).

And as I showed, the .gov site that you chose to link has been shown to be in error in the past concerning temperature data... by the way, I also posted another McIntyre article (which is easily verified by going to NASA's webpage) that shows that their very own GW FAQ relies heavily on RealClimate citation.

Also, before you get ahead of yourself... your citations are as rife with .org, .com and many other non .edu or .gov sites.

And your initial graph post had some .gov links, some no citation graphs, and a previous favorite of yours "SkepticalScience.com". I'm glad you stopped using that. Either way, regardless of the source of your links, they have often left several here asking questions regarding the actual certainty you draw from them. Few seem to be even designed to be convincing...

You mentioned that you knew what stawman means, so I am confident you also know what citation means, and a comment suggesting I go review my own posts here in the forums does not meet that criteria. Further, you are again appealing to shame, offering a mild ad hom, and continuing to avoid discussion of the data itself.

Ah, but I HAVE discussed the data you provided, from the very beginning. You object to the fact that I am pointing out curious things demonstrated by many of your sources without posting some peer reviewed paper that also carries my observation. I can say that the model graph you posted clearly shows that they don't agree beyond the small windows where the measurements being modeled were already known.... this is self evident.

You've mentioned that you don't find me to be a good debater, and I'm okay with that. My strength exists in the accuracy of the data I share and defend.

Well, on one hand you have the accuracy of the data that you share... on the other hand you have the interpretation of the data you share. On the interpretation we diverge.

But all your data in not accurate, as I have displayed in this very post.

However, in the spirit of mutual betterment, I again ask that you stop attacking me directly and cease your appeals to shame and that you instead focus on the data itself and start supplying evidence and data in support of your claims and your position.

My attacks on you were with regards to your attacks on others (and me). You stop doing that and you will be amazed at my restraint.

As for focusing on the data... that is a funny statement as our biggest disagreement is with regard to my comments on the data. How do I focus on it and discuss it without commenting on it? If I see something in your data that contradicts your statement of what that data shows, I will say that. That is "focusing on the data"... I suggest you focus on the oppositions data rather than attempt to discredit the oppositions sources... so far your attempts seem to be backfiring.

That is not an ad hominem, by the way, that is just me focusing on the data again.

iNow said :

" That "opinion" is supported by the following:"

You totally overestimate my credulity. I am not (nor is jryan) that easily sucked in. So you cut and pasted the entire bibliography for a scientific paper. Wow! Am I expected to be impressed? I seriously doubt you obtained and read even one of the items you pasted.

Now why don't you post some actual evidence?

You mention the business of noise. I agree with you. I have always been a bit bemused by the signal to noise ratio problem in building up good data on long term climate changes. Take temperature. We have an average warming of 0.018 C per year (plus or minus a titch). This is the signal. The noise is overwhelming. If you take annual temperature difference, from the hottest place and time to the coldest, we have a range of well over 100 C. To extract a meaningful signal from all this noise is not easy.

The temperature difference between locations isn't the source of the noise, though. The noise is because any given location can be hotter or cooler in any year because of local weather conditions. Which means that short-scale deviations between model and data that are below the noise threshold aren't statistically significant.

"If "scientists do not yet understand how sunspot activity changes global temperature" (a statement with which I do not agree), how can you state that the 0.4 ºC increase from 1910 to 1940 was due to sunspots?"

As far as the 0.4 C warming between 1910 and 1940 is concerned, this is associated with a trivial greenhouse gas increase (less than 1 ppm per decade of CO2). But it followed a major increase in sunspot activity. In addition, the 30 years prior also saw the same greenhouse gas increase associated with a cooling. That cooling was preceded by a drop in sunspot activity.

One of the reasons I concentrate on the last 30 years in discussing global warming is that earlier warmings may have been a 'return to normal' following the Little Ice Age. This means that those warmings are not anthropogenic global warming at all.

The Medieval Climate Optimum of 900 AD to 1200 AD was correlated with high sunspot activity. The cooling that followed, leading into the Little Ice Age was correlated with a drop in sunspot activity. And the warming leading up to 1940 was correlated with an increase in sunspot activity.

The action of sunspots and their association with warming and cooling is not really in dispute. Even during the last 30 years there are temperature fluctuations which 'coincide' with highs and lows in the sunspot cycle. It is really only the last 50 years that the broad pattern has been disrupted, and the first 20 years of that period was a net cooling, and thus cannot be described as anthropogenic global warming. Only the last 30 years is clear cut AGW.

No the activity is not in dispute (though the terminology used is often "solar activity" or "solar irradiance" vs "sunspot activity" since ultimately it's the energy that reaches us that directly affects temperature.)

What I'm disputing is the quantitative conclusion — how much of an effect there is. You objected to the solar forcing term as being too small in one model, and this requires a quantitative analysis which you haven't provided or cited.

Let's take the temperature increase from ~1910-1940 at 0.4 ºC as correct. Now, the CO2 increase then was "trivial" but how much is that? Half of the recent increase? A third? Because that still gives an increase of ~0.15 - 0.2 ºC as being due to CO2 (0.15 - 0.2 ºC per decade, three decades, and take a third of that). And, as we've discussed before, ~1910 represents the end of some high volcano activity, which had caused significant cooling. So what does that contribute? 0.1 - 0.2 ºC? The combination of those two take up more than half of the observed increase.

So how can you conclude that the solar forcing term is wrong?

An example of what I WAS saying, and not what you misrepresented me as saying, can be seen here.

While a supposed professional climate scientist calling another fellow climate scientist "stupid", among other things, is out of line in a study review... it does shed light on where you picked up your debate style.

You can read a very interesting observation of this childish realclimate article here.

I searched the realclimate entry, and the only two instances of "stupid" occur here:

"Prelude: It's the physics, stupid

…which of course is a paraphrase of Bill Clinton's famous quote regarding the economy. We put the last word in small letters since we've learned that it is not a good debating technique to imply (even inadvertently) that those who are having trouble seeing the force of our arguments might be stupid."

So where, exactly, is a "fellow climate scientist" being called "stupid?"

I also can't help but note two other things:

(1) The climateaudit link does not accurately reproduce the above quote, and (more importantly)

(2) This has absolutely nothing at all to do with the science invloved. It's a diversion. It's inappropriate.

————

TO ALL

Dial it back, folks. The red-herrings and ad-homs (as above), the other fallacious statements and sniping. There's no need to claim misrepresentation or add name-calling. Correct it with out the ugly window dressing, please. No, not please. Just do it.

———

As to the use of "opinion." The way I use it, if it has a scientific backing, it's not opinion. Justify your claims; primary references preferred, or at least something with a written summary that contains the topic at hand — I assume I am not alone in not wanting to have to read a link within a link within a link and sort through the intervening junk to get the point.

Conversely, claiming that a conclusion of a scientific paper is "opinion" doesn't fly. If you think the conclusion is unjustified, point out the flaws in reaching it.

Furthermore, there is a funny thing about all this: Mann's study was peer reviewed, and McIntyre's critique was peer reviewed.. yet only one is right.

While that is certainly true, it is yet to be decided.

Do you know if Mann has published a peer reviewed rebuttal (honest question)?

Yes, he has. If you have a look at the Climateaudit page here you will find links to (I think) most of the original papers and the "Comments on" type papers and where they were published.

That "opinion" is supported by the following:

Which ones?

The temperature difference between locations isn't the source of the noise, though. The noise is because any given location can be hotter or cooler in any year because of local weather conditions. Which means that short-scale deviations between model and data that are below the noise threshold aren't statistically significant.

It can also be caused by a failure to properly piant measuring stations. NASA thought they had a grasp on statistically removing this noise, rather than actually painting stations regularly. They failed to properly adjust for these noise sources. This is partly what lead to the incorrect data on the NASA site.

Granted, this error is for a land area that is only 2% of Earth's surface... but are we skeptics supposed to just automatically assume that stations in third world countries are better maintained, or that the the noise is better accounted for?

Similarly the Mann study.. which McIntyre citiqued, and the critique was published in a peer review journal. Am I supposed to assume that a non-peer reviewed rebuttal is sufficient from a site for which Mann is a primary contributor?

Most skeptics, and cetainly all the ones I have read here, find that the number of errors that are well documented is reason enough to not accept everything coming out of IPCC, or from Mann etc. as correct by default? Even if the anti-skeptics were to provide verification that McIntyre accepted a billion dollars from Exxon to do his work, or that he made mistakes in other studies, it doesn't change the fact that he has successfully aired problems with he data.

I don't think any of us on the skeptic side are saying that we should accept the work of skeptics automatically as true anymore than we would say that Mann, IPCC, NASA or Al Gore should. What worries me is I rarely if ever see such a moderate view from the other side. iNow is just one of many examples. In a rush to discount McIntyre, many of his linked sources have made gross errors in their evaluations of McIntyre, and can only seem to cast doubt on him as a person through the old "connection to energy companies" and outright falsehoods.

I searched the realclimate entry, and the only two instances of "stupid" occur here:

"Prelude: It's the physics, stupid

…which of course is a paraphrase of Bill Clinton's famous quote regarding the economy. We put the last word in small letters since we've learned that it is not a good debating technique to imply (even inadvertently) that those who are having trouble seeing the force of our arguments might be stupid."

So where, exactly, is a "fellow climate scientist" being called "stupid?"

This is like if I were to say "I have been told by my mom that I should never call anyone an idiot. So I will not call you that.". This is a very transparent attempt to take the low road but claim the high ground.

I also can't help but note two other things:

(1) The climateaudit link does not accurately reproduce the above quote, and (more importantly)

(2) This has absolutely nothing at all to do with the science invloved. It's a diversion. It's inappropriate.

It's the intent, stupid.

I certainly don't believe you are stupid... but I am simply doing my own take on the realclimate title. Had I not explained that that statement is 100% against my own belief, what would you have felt the meaning was?

The trouble is that the author of that paper doesn't ever say that he doesn't believe that Courtillot is stupid... all he states is "We put the last word in small letters since we've learned that it is not a good debating technique to imply (even inadvertently) that those who are having trouble seeing the force of our arguments might be stupid.".... are we to assume that he "inadvertantly" included the word "stupid"? Does his PC have no edit function? This is a weak sidestep.

This is similar to a linked realclimate article (linked as it appeared in the statement above) where Gavin poo poos Crichton mentioning the use of private jets by many pro-AGW glitterati as a simple crowd pleaser and not paticularly useful (on this I agree), but then later in the same post metions that all of his debate team refused to take the SUV limo five blocks to the auditorium, where as all of Crichton's team had. This is a bizarre statement on many levels:

1) It isn't hypocrisy if Crichton does it as he isn't in the pro-AGW camp (though he does agree with the existence of some anthropogenic forcing)

2) If both Gavin and Crichton's statements are true, the scale of the two infractions is comically out of balance in favor of Crichton.

3) After stating that he and his fellows "are scientists, and we talk about science and we're not going start getting into questions of personal morality and wider political agendas", he goes on to do the opposite on the pages of Realclimate.org.

This is in line with my previous claims as to the questionable methods of debate used at Realclimate.org.

here you will find links to (I think) most of the original papers and the "Comments on" type papers and where they were published.

Thank you for that JohnB! I will read it when I have time to digest it fully.

One question though... are letters to the journal Nature considered peer reviewed publications?

One question though... are letters to the journal Nature considered peer reviewed publications?

No.

As to the use of "opinion." The way I use it, if it has a scientific backing, it's not opinion. Justify your claims; primary references preferred, or at least something with a written summary that contains the topic at hand — I assume I am not alone in not wanting to have to read a link within a link within a link and sort through the intervening junk to get the point.

Conversely, claiming that a conclusion of a scientific paper is "opinion" doesn't fly. If you think the conclusion is unjustified, point out the flaws in reaching it.

Thank you.

To swansont

I totally agree with your comments about ad homs etc. Even when we disagree, we should try to make our disagreement friendly and polite.

Back to sunspots.

You said

"since ultimately it's the energy that reaches us that directly affects temperature.)"

One of the theories of the mechanism by which sunspot activity affects global temperature is by the indirect route of ..

High sunspot activity means high solar magnetic activity

This affects the magnetic field around Earth (not a theory - it has been measured)

This diverts cosmic rays away from Earth (also confirmed by direct measurement)

This reduces ions that act as nucleation points for water vapour

This reduces cloud cover

This reduces Earth's albedo

This causes warming

Some satellite studies have shown that cloud cover drops during periods of high sunspot activity, which fits this theory.

The point is that, if this theory is correct, then the effect of high sunspot activity is not dependent on direct energy transfer - sun to Earth. Of course, it is only a theory, and there are other theories also.

You also said

"this requires a quantitative analysis which you haven't provided or cited."

It would be nice to do so. However, as I pointed out, if we don't understand the mechanism, how can we calculate the forcing? The closest we can get to is a description of the correlation between sunspot activity and temperature change. This has been described many times.

"Let's take the temperature increase from ~1910-1940 at 0.4 ºC as correct. Now, the CO2 increase then was "trivial" but how much is that? "

Actually, about 10% of recent increases. 1870 to 1940 saw an increase in CO2 of approx 290 ppm to 303. Less than 0.2 ppm per year. The last 30 years, it has been a bit under 2 ppm per year.

1880 to 1910 was cooling. That may have been influenced by vulcanism, but also included a drop in sunspot activity. 1910 to 1940 was a period of trivial greenhouse gas increase, but substantial warming - almost as much as recent warming, and 'coincided' with the largest increase in sunspot activity for a thousand years.

"since ultimately it's the energy that reaches us that directly affects temperature.)"

One of the theories of the mechanism by which sunspot activity affects global temperature is by the indirect route of ..

High sunspot activity means high solar magnetic activity

This affects the magnetic field around Earth (not a theory - it has been measured)

This diverts cosmic rays away from Earth (also confirmed by direct measurement)

This reduces ions that act as nucleation points for water vapour

This reduces cloud cover

This reduces Earth's albedo

This causes warming

Some satellite studies have shown that cloud cover drops during periods of high sunspot activity, which fits this theory.

The point is that, if this theory is correct, then the effect of high sunspot activity is not dependent on direct energy transfer - sun to Earth. Of course, it is only a theory, and there are other theories also.

And these would be indirect effects.

However, it's hard to keep all this clear when you use the terms interchangeably. This has come up before - do you mean sunspot number, or something else?

"this requires a quantitative analysis which you haven't provided or cited."

It would be nice to do so. However, as I pointed out, if we don't understand the mechanism, how can we calculate the forcing? The closest we can get to is a description of the correlation between sunspot activity and temperature change. This has been described many times.

Correlation tells you nothing when the correlation isn't always present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Temp-sunspot-co2.svg

Sunspot number drops dramatically near 1880 while temperature is rising. Sunspot number peaks in 1960, but cooling begins in 1940.

If we go back further, there are huge spans where sunspot number and temperature anti-correlate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sunspot-temperature-10000yr.svg

What this indicates to me is that the correlations you see are coincidental and not causal.

"Let's take the temperature increase from ~1910-1940 at 0.4 ºC as correct. Now, the CO2 increase then was "trivial" but how much is that? "

Actually, about 10% of recent increases. 1870 to 1940 saw an increase in CO2 of approx 290 ppm to 303. Less than 0.2 ppm per year. The last 30 years, it has been a bit under 2 ppm per year.

1880 to 1910 was cooling. That may have been influenced by vulcanism, but also included a drop in sunspot activity. 1910 to 1940 was a period of trivial greenhouse gas increase, but substantial warming - almost as much as recent warming, and 'coincided' with the largest increase in sunspot activity for a thousand years.

But as you have previously noted, the response to temperature is not linear — it's logarithmic.

If you assess the recent temperaure increase as being due to CO2 (380 ppm vs 335 ppm (taken from http://www.omgfilms.com/spark1/images/stories/fruit/mauna_loa_carbon_dioxide.png ) corresponding to a temperature increase of 0.5 ºC, then a rise from 290 to 303 ppm (you didn't say where you got the numbers) corresponds to a 0.175 ºC increase in temperature.

And 1880-1910 saw ~flat average sunspot number. You'll have to show what graphs you are using.

Similarly the Mann study.. which McIntyre citiqued, and the critique was published in a peer review journal. Am I supposed to assume that a non-peer reviewed rebuttal is sufficient from a site for which Mann is a primary contributor?

I pointed out three critiques (which I found after a very quick search), two in GPL and one elsewhere, and got links for two of them.

This is in line with my previous claims as to the questionable methods of debate used at Realclimate.org.

The debating methods used elsewhere aren't pertinent to this discussion. If you have a problem with the way they discuss things, take it up with them.

I'm not going to address the rest — I've already noted that it's off topic. How you want to interpret realclimate's use of "stupid" ISN"T RELEVANT.

No..

Thank you for the response. In that case I have still not found a peer reviewed response to the McIntyre peer reviewed critique of Mann's 1998 study. THe only rebuttals I find are from Mann in the "letters to Nature" section.

Swansont asked

"- do you mean sunspot number, or something else?"

My main reference on the relationship between sunspot activity and temperature is the Max Plank Institute who published their data from 1860 to 2000. Their data shows a really nic correlation from 1860 to about 1970. After that, it all falls apart.

They used a term 'reconstructed irradiance' which is a blend of sunspot number, sunspot area, and the intensity of sunspot action. This shows a clear correlation with temperature change.

One of their papers is at :

http://www.mpg.de/english/illustrationsDocumentation/documentation/pressReleases/2004/pressRelease20040802/

I quote :

"As the scientists have reported in the renowned scientific journal, Physical Review Letters, since 1940 the mean sunspot number is higher than it has ever been in the last thousand years and two and a half times higher than the long term average."

Swansont said

"Correlation tells you nothing when the correlation isn't always present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Temp-sunspot-co2.svg"

This reference talks about sunspot number. The Max Planck Institute with their 'reconstructed radiance' have a much better correlation. Incidentally, I hate the term they use, since the effect may actually not have anything to do with irradiance. I would prefer they called it 'reconstructed impact' or somthing like that.

Swansont said :

"Sunspot number drops dramatically near 1880 while temperature is rising. Sunspot number peaks in 1960, but cooling begins in 1940."

Again, not shown by the Max Planck Institute method.

"there are huge spans where sunspot number and temperature anti-correlate"

There are more spans on your posted graph where they do. Obviously climate is complex and there are many factors. I could well imagine situations in the past where sunspot activity might be driving a warming, and vulcanism driving a cooling. Maybe vulcanism would win?

The occasional situation where a factor other than sunspot activity is dominant does not mean sunspots are unimportant.

"the response to temperature is not linear — it's logarithmic."

Agreed. And this will increase the greenhouse gas impact in 1910 to 1940. However, it still leaves sunspot activity as the stronger driver. Also note : the logarithmic argument is even stronger for the 30 year period of 1880 to 1910, which was a period of cooling.

"(you didn't say where you got the numbers)"

http://www.grida.no/climate/vital/07.htm