Teleportation.

I do not know if this fits in this catagory. But, is it possible to teleport any type of matter? I tend to not believe this. With movies such as star trek used teleporting. Sure 24th century. But, how would you be able to break down matter to its simplist form and transport t anywhere. A theory that remains true even today 'matter can not be created or destroyed'. How would you go about moving it at once. Wouldn't you be destroying the matter for an instant then bringing it somewhere else? Or would you just be able to move it atom by atom. You decide.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a recent article on the teleportation of "light". They said it won't be too long before matter will be able to be teleported. Of course, it will only be atoms. But it has to start somewhere.

I'll try and dig up the article.

BTW this should be under physics.

Ok, so the worlds leading researchers doing quantum teleportation and all their peer reviewed studies are wrong. And if you're going to sit there and tell me that another billion years of mankind's knowledge progressing and teleportation will still be impossible, then you are the moron.

No such thing has ever been done, nor will ever be done, since it's impossible. No one has ever claimed that any such thing has ever been done. You watch too much Star Trek. "Teleportation" is a flight of fancy made up by Gene Roddenbury. No such thing will ever exist since it's impossible.

Results 1-3 of 1380 Matching Entries from nature.com alone

1. Complete quantum teleportation using nuclear magnetic resonance

M. A. Nielsen, E. Knill, R. Laflamme

SUMMARY: Quantum-mechanical systems have information processing capabilities, that are not possible with classical devices. One example is quantum teleportation, in which the quantum state of...

CONTEXT: ...original object? No: all physical systems are ultimately quantum mechanical, and quantum mechanics tells us that it is impossible to determine completely the state of an unknown quantum system, making it impossible to use the......

Nature396, 52 - 55 (05 Nov 1998) DOI: 10.1038/23891 Letters to Nature

Abstract | Full Text | PDF

2. Experimental quantum teleportation

Dik Bouwmeester, Jian-Wei Pan, Klaus Mattle, Manfred Eibl, Harald Weinfurter, Anton Zeilinger

SUMMARY: Quantum teleportation -- the transmission and reconstruction over arbitrary distances of the state of a quantum system -- is demonstrated experimentally. During teleportation, an...

CONTEXT: The dream of teleportation is to be able to travel by simply reappearing at some distant location. An object to be teleported can be fully characterized by its properties, which in classical physics can be determined by measurement. To......

Nature390, 575 - 579 (11 Dec 1997) DOI: 10.1038/37539 Article

3. Demonstrating the viability of universal quantum computation using teleportation and single-qubit operations

Daniel Gottesman, Isaac L. Chuang

SUMMARY: Algorithms such as quantum factoring and quantum search illustrate the great theoretical promise of quantum computers; but the practical implementation of such devices will...

CONTEXT: Quantum teleportation is a scheme by which the state of a qubit can be transported from one point to another by communicating just two classical bits, provided that the sender and the receiver have previously shared halves of a specific......

Nature402, 390 - 393 (25 Nov 1999) DOI: 10.1038/46503 Letters to Nature

I strongly suggest reading those papers and doing your own search. I'm sure you're thinking of matter, anyone who's ever read anything knows quantum teleportation both has been done and doesn't involve matter.

You're a moron. Anyone who thinks there's such a thing as "teleportation" is retarded.

Jeffery for all your apparent work in physics, I'm quite supprised you havn't read up on quantum teleportation.

The idea has been around for quite some time. Back in 1993 people were already doing research on it. See Tony Sudbury, "Instant Teleportation", Nature vol.362, pp 586-587 (1993)

Some good readings:

American Institute of Physics depiction of the innsbruck setup (The Innsbruck experiment is reported by Dik Bouwmeester, Jiai-Wei Pan, Klaus Mattle, Manfred Eibl, Harald Weinfurter, and Anton Zeilinger in the 11 December 1997 issue of Nature)

IBM's research labs

Yahoos Quantum Teleportation Directory

Caltech's research

Jeffrey, no need to flame, because faf will undoubtedly win. Plus hes an admin. Pissing him off != good.

Oh Jesus Christ....I know infinitely more about Bell's Inequality than you, and I don't use the phrase "quantum teleportation" since it confuses uneducated people. I've written extensively about this subject. In the so-called EPR paradox, information could be said to instantly transfer from one location to another. It does not involve a particle instantly disappearing from one location and reappearing at another location. If you look at the other messages in this thread people are talking about "teleporting atoms". These people are not talking about anything having to do with quantum mechanics or entangled wavefunctions. They are talking Star Trek, which is what 99.9% of people think of when they hear the word "teleportion".

Gene Roddenberry just made that up, because it was such a low budget show, he couldn't afford to show the shuttle landing, taking off, every time someone had to go to a planet. It would have taken too much time out of a one hour show to do that every single time the characters went from the ship to the planet, and vice versa. So he just made up a thing where matter magically disappears and reappears at a different location. It's not different than the TV shows Hercules and Xena where the gods could disappear and reappear somewhere else. That is utterly impossible, and will always be impossible. That is what everybody else is talking about.

I believe it because with the research and the example with the transport of the beam of light. I don't think it will happen in my lifetime or my kid's lifetime. It will take alot of development. Also it might start out not as like in Star Trek, but more like with objects before it can be done with mammals.

one

And it might not be in the sense of "a particle disapearing from one point and reappearing at another", but more like atoms being broken down sent through a channel and then reconstructed at the finale end.

one

If you read the posts by this person called "One" then you see why I used the language I used before. It's just exasperating. You can't talk sense into these people. It's very unfortunate that the word "teleportation" was ever used to refer to this quantum entanglement phenomenon. I wish they had called it something else. You can tell that everyone else on this board sincerely believes that this has something to do with Star Trek teleportation. That is what everyone in the world other than a few quantum mechanics researchers mean by the word. No photon was ever "teleported" in the sense that everyone on this board is using the word. The fact that in an unfortunate coincidence, the word "teleport" appeared in a scientific paper is more than enough excuse for the nutcases out there to say that we are on the road that will lead to Star Trek transporters. There are so many ignorant people out there who know nothing about science, but think they do just because they watch science-fiction, which isn't any more scientific than any other work of fantasy. There are people against human cloning just because they are confusing it with science-fiction cloning.

I don't know how to get it through these people's skulls. If you think "teleportation", in the sense that everyone uses the word, will ever be possible, then you are a total idiot. No one has "teleported" a photon or anything else, nor will any such thing ever happen.

There are people against human cloning just because they are confusing it with science-fiction cloning.

The thing you seem to be confusing is the method whereby these things are achieved. You are correct, when we clone someone, we don't throw them in a machine and out pops a duplicate. However using the current techniques, the outcome is the same: a genotypical clone.

In quantum teleportation, two photons are entangled. The first photon(A) is separated, and the second(B) is sort of a receiver. The photon which to be teleported© is then brought in contact with the the receiving photon(B). The information from the receiving photon(B) is instantly sent to photon(A). Therefore, photon(A) is an EXACT replication of photon©.

When the receiving photon(B) comes in contact with photon©, it disrupts its state, and you no longer have the same photon. Essentially the original was destroyed. However, you have photon(A), which is an exact replication of photon© before its state was disrupted, the only remaining copy of the original. Hence, it was teleported

Oh Jesus Christ....I know infinitely more about Bell's Inequality than you..

...since it confuses uneducated people.

...I don't know how to get it through these people's skulls.

First, I don't care how much you know; faf still knows more.

Second, why must you act superior to everyone? You may be smarter, but that doesn't make you superior. Chances are you're a social outcast that has reverted to education as a means of bolstering self-esteem.

Third, you killed what little credibility you had left with these statements:

If you think "teleportation", in the sense that everyone uses the word, will ever be possible, then you are a total idiot.

...is utterly impossible, and will always be impossible.

You cannot say what is possible and impossible. Let me show you some people who were in the same boat you are in.

Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value.

- Editorial in the Boston Post (1865)

X-rays are a hoax.

-Lord Kelvin, mathematician and physicist (c. 1900)

What can be more palpably absurd than the prospect held out of locomotives traveling twice as fast as stagecoaches?

- The Quarterly Review, England (March 1825)

The abolishment of pain in surgery is a chimera. It is absurd to go on seeking it. . . . Knife and pain are two words in surgery that must forever be associated in the consciousness of the patient.

- Dr. Alfred Velpeau (1839) French surgeon

The foolish idea of shooting at the moon is an example of the absurd length to which vicious specialization will carry scientists working in thought-tight compartments.

- A.W. Bickerton (1926) Professor of Physics and Chemistry, Canterbury College, New Zealand

Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.

- Lord Kelvin, ca. 1895, British mathematician and physicist

There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will.

- Albert Einstein, 1932.

Perhaps in 500 years(or more) you will go down in history only known for your foolish statements about the impossible.

"One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid ."

-J. D. Watson _The Double Helix_

"There ain't no rules around here! We're trying to accomplish something!" -

Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931) U. S. inventor.

And just so you know, I'm NOT using the same definition of teleportation as Star Trek. Whatever judgement you may have made of me, forget it and start over considering my definition of quantum teleportation is that of research papers such as the one I uploaded.

Originally posted by jefferywinkler

No such thing has ever been done, nor will ever be done, since it's impossible. No one has ever claimed that any such thing has ever been done. You watch too much Star Trek. "Teleportation" is a flight of fancy made up by Gene Roddenbury. No such thing will ever exist since it's impossible.

Just about as impossible as vacuum fluctuations spontaneously giving rise to the universe, assuming you accept that definition instead of god, and if you believe in god, i'm sure he could "teleport" matter in any way he chooses. Beyond the edge of our universe, in regions where physics as we know it has no meaning, perhaps it is possible. You simply can't call it impossible.

Guest Syntax

We thought cloning another human was impossible, but its already been happening, they've cloned ears, fingers, noses, etc... I think anyone debating something that they have no idea about, shouldn't argue. If it wasn't possible, than why would scientists be wasting their time? Someone much smarter, would be more accurate at their opinion. I've heard alot of successful stories when it came to Quantum stuff.

Guest Unregistered

If you are indeed as knowledgeable as you claim, then you would know that it is only impossible within the confines of physical paradigms, albeit all the currently existing paradigms that you care to mention.

But if (read: when) we find that existing theories are inconsistent with observations it is necessary to modify or abandon a theory, such that it makes predictions that accurately describe the universe. Either that, or accept that it is only valid under certain conditions, when it does make accurate predictions.

So far you've made two points:

One: Everyone is using the term 'teleportation' which implies something other than what they are in fact describing. I suggest everyone thanks you for clearing up this misunderstanding, and acknowledges that this does not have to be an issue. Please could you suggest a term that would be more appropriate.

Two: That because you know about Bell's Inequality, you can say that teleportation can't exist.

To my knowledge, Bell's Inequality makes no predictions about whether teleportation (in the actual sense of the term) exists. Although you've said you know about it, you haven't made any points about the possibility of quantum entanglement 'teleportation'.

Also, please could you tell me your level of education? I'm not asking in a 'you're obviously really stupid' sarcastic kind of way - so plz don't take it like that. It's just out of interest. Same to anyone else who wants to share. :)

A definition of teleportation "to me" sounds like moving an original amount of matter from one point and having that original matter arrive undamaged after transport. To electronicaly reproduce the original somewhere else is too complicated in my opinion. That means each electron has to have its proper energy and all the quarks of more complicated structures has to have its energy or rotation or whatever quantum force was evident at the time of transport.

The Star Trek teleportation would be awfully difficult under these restraints.

Maybe if we understand black holes a little better and learn to create them a little smaller with directional ends we can teleport. This suggestion is long ways in the future but I see bending the time-space and crossing over as the most feasible solution.

I just wouldn't want a computer to try and recreate this vessel for my personality Just for thought

Just aman

I read the article and it seemed to me they slowed a photon down and even claimed to stop it but I didn't get the impression they had it arrive ahead of itself. Thanks though because it was a fascinating article.

Just aman