Chess

PhDP

I'm just curious to see how many people are playing chess here. I started recently and I really like it. It's a very good concentration training, I'm not surprised they're introducing it in elementary schools.

I play chess. We should play sometime!

yep, that would be very interesting, but as I said I'm quite new, I know the stalemate rule for less than 1 1/2 year :)

How strong are you, and where do you play ?

Well chess is a fantastic exercise for the mind. simply to be different i tend to play the Chinese variant known as Xiang Qi. I find it slightly easier to play even though i grew up playing European/Indian Styled chess. It is truly a good game. I look back at my primary school years and am glad to have had a chess board in the class room whenever there was a rainy day.

does drinking chess count? i tend to play that more than normal chess now.

i'm not very good at either anyway. i can get the upper hand early in the game but when it comes to finishing it off i start losing concentration. unless i have a rook and a queen i find it impossible.

does drinking chess count? i tend to play that more than normal chess now.

I've played that a few times, do you have the shot glasses chess set ? Or have you come up with some alternative rules ? My house-mate has the drinking chess set, though it's in storage at the moment. Might be worth getting out for Christmas.

http://www.shotglasschess.com/rules.htm

I'm just curious to see how many people are playing chess here. I started recently and I really like it. It's a very good concentration training, I'm not surprised they're introducing it in elementary schools.

I am. I'm a fairly good player, and have played in a few competitions. Compared to the average person, its pretty ridiculous :D

I play. In college I played maybe a dozen games a week, all casual, against a few different friends, who ranged in skill from beginners to a minor "chess celebrity." For a while I was pretty good, but I rarely play nowadays, and I'm definitely very rusty.

Chess is inferior to Go!

I've recently become interested in Go, but haven't had much chance to learn how to play. I can't find many players. It does seem interesting that it hasn't been mastered by computers yet even though the rules are so simple.

• 4 weeks later...