Electrets (permanant electric dipoles)

Mr Skeptic

I just learned about electrets from wikipedia. Electrets are permanant electric dipoles, essentially the electrical analogue of magnets. My questions, then:

1) Why have I never heard of electrets before? Not in college, not in high school, and my physics prof wanted a journal reference before she would believe they exist.

2) Do electrets make good toys? If I'm not mistaken, small electrets would allow me to see an electric field, right?

Oh, I have heard of electric dipoles before, but not any that were macroscopic and permanent. Just things like water molecules and such. The wiki article gives a recipe using waxes, and I never heard of such things. I'll make one if it makes a good toy :D

Well, I've never heard of them either. Although, I've always wondered what might happen if you froze water while it was under influence of a strong electric field ^^

Anyone here have any hands-on experience with these electrets? Will they for instance bend water streaming from a faucet like an electrified comb does?

Actually, a magnet would techincally be one, since a magnetic field creates an electric one... and so on and so force.

You could vibrate a magnet quick enough to cause electric to run through a wire on the other side of the room for instance

as far as I know (I`m by Far NOT an expert) the Alpha passes through the aluminised mylar, knocks off electrons underneath in the cavity and that`s then picked up by some sort of detector.

I know the cct employs a HT line also, it`s function I have no idea, perhaps it`s a way to accelerate the particles to give them more clout when they hit the detector???